My buck is being a BRAT

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by HoosierShadow, Dec 7, 2010.

1. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I am sooo irritated right now :(
    Our buck needs to be seperated from the does, we have does kidding as early as 3 weeks.
    We put him in the pen that was supposed to be temporary, but would be his permanent pen. It doesn't have a gate yet, just fencing tied closed <again was supposed to be temporary>. So he was going under that, and we put a stop to that.
    Then yesterday at feeding time he climbed over that fence in the same spot. Did it again today, so I put up pallets so he couldn't do it anymore.
    He went to another spot and found a place and climbed the fence. He's tearing my fence down, and I am not happy. At. All.

I had posted about this in barnyard bonanza that we needed to fix the fence. I think more fence posts would make the fence tighter, and could probably help, but the ground is frozen now, and I don't know how much luck my husband would have digging postholes.
    We considered running wire over the fence, even if we do have to go with barbed wire. SOMETHING has to keep him in, or I am going to sell him. I am just too irritated with him right now, and we don't have the $$ for electric fencing nor a way to hook it up.
    I might contact the breeder I got him from and see if she knows anyone that would buy him? The paperwork is still in her name until after the new year <and our agreement was I'd pay for him then as well>. So of course I'd contact her before selling him since he isn't paid for until after the first of the year.

He's a good buck, he's good with the girls, but I can't take any risks when they have babies. He also won't let certain ones in the shelter, and we only have one stall right now, the past week they have slept comfortably, but they can't with him. So I put a pallet blocking the door so he can't get his horns in but I am sure he'll figure out how to get in anyway.

Bottom line, he is NOT taking over that stall like he thinks he is, and keeping some of the girls and the whether out. I'm at the point we may have to chain his butt up until the fence problem is resolved :(

Sorry I am just totally :veryangry:

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Re: May sell my buck

This would be a drastic measure but since you need him to stay put, and he is fenced in so predators shouldn't be an issue, put a harness on him and tie him to his shelter...be mindful to keep the lead short enough so he can't reach the fence at all. When I was in a similar predicament, my buck fence wasn't finished, I used a dogs tie out cable to keep Hank in one area.
    You would need to be sure though that he would be able to go in and out of his shelter without getting tangled up.

3. Hidden Waters Farm

Hidden Waters Farm New Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Maine

If he has always run with the does I can see why hes doing it. Thats one reason why most people keep them separated unless they are being used for breeding. At this point all your does are probably bred and not coming into heat anyways so hes not escaping for that reason, he just wants companionship and the living quarters he is used to.

As for what to do, what Liz said is probably one of the only ways to do it for this very moment. Is there any way you can construct a small stall without a pen attached? He wont be very happy about it but its only temporary.

Hope you can keep him in soon!

4. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

Thanks so much! He has run with our goats since the end of July. Before, he was in his own pen his whole life, but had goats with him off and on, then of course when he was breeding.

I have calmed down from being so mad earlier. I'm not mad at him, I am mad because we didn't make sure the fence was fit for him, and I did tell my husband this, but I'm not blaming him either.

He is in the back corner of the pen behind the small mini barn where the others are at. Field fencing around the pen, and then we had the smaller gauge wire fencing run around to seperate him from the big pen <does that make sense? Sorry I am trying to hurry while making dinner>.
    That fence is flemsy, so he figured out he could lean on it, and it would fold in and he'd climb it.

I 'might' have fixed his butt tonight, although I have a place I need to fix but it was just way too cold to stay out anymore.
    What I did was.....I put pallets side by side along the part where we have the temporary gate, fence ties closed, and the gates help support it so he can't squeeze out, and can't climb out.
    I ran chicken wire all along the top of the other fence, and used wire to tie it. The good thing is, my husband never cut the tops off the posts <he made the posts from trees he cut in the woods>. So the chicken wire goes up around 7-8 ft. , I tied it to the posts and the fence so he can't get his head between the wire and fence. I grabbed wood from a pile and wired it half way between each post vertically so he can't bend the fence, but one part is the part I didn't do that to, but may be okay with the chicken wire up and I can fix that tomorrow.

Eventually what we're going to do is make an 'X' between each set of posts with the posts my husband cut out of the woods to use, and then run one horizontally at the top of that, and I am thinking that will work? He can't get out if he can't bend the fence. So this chicken wire thing is only temporary for now.

My husband did put the herd queen/his girlfriend in with him and he was perfectly fine. BUT he had to take her out after he calmed down for a while, because her doeling happens to be her best friend, and she didn't want to go into the barn with the others and wanted to stay with her mama by the fence... Can't win!

With all this said.... IF he gets out again I am going to use Liz's suggestion until we can get his fence fixed. My husband told me he wanted to tie his butt up.

BTW, the first few days of being in there alone he was fine. He just learned yesterday at feeding time he could go over the fence. He does get fed first.

Sorry to jump the gun on the idea of selling him, but it's still a possability if we can't keep him in. He found a week spot in our outer perimeter fence, and got out, and I can't have him doing that. My husband fixed the spot, and checked the rest of the fence in the pen, but still... Our road gets busy, and we have a troublesome whether <for meat, he's not pet quality at all>, and between the two boys right now I am ready to pull my hair out. My girls are naughty, but the boys are the instigators of trouble right now.

Thanks for listening to me rant, Eventually we'll have this place fixed up the way we want. We just can't seem to get a head since my husband got laid off at the end of July, even though he found another job, losing a lot of his pay really hurt. We're doing things, but not as fast as we had wanted. Totally stinks, but as long as we can keep them in <LOL>, and finish their shelters, the rest will come with time.

5. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Well so far so good, he's still in the pen. He keeps looking for a way out though, and I've been checking on him through the window. I'll head out to give fresh hay and check his water in just a short bit.

I wish we could keep a doe with him that isn't due yet, but the only candidate that would work well besides our herd queen is the bottom of the pecking order doe who isn't due until the end of April, and she might freak out if we tried putting her in with him.

He can see them, and they do come over and hang out by the fence with him, so he isn't isolated <His pen is in the back corner of their pen>. The only time he can't see them is when they are in the barn.

6. Hidden Waters Farm

Oct 3, 2010
    Maine
    He will get over it in time and accept that hes in the fence alone. Maybe if you plan to do this again next year you should wether a buck kid and keep them together. He will probably always try to get out as thats just what goats do.

7. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Hehe...I just thought of something.... The fullblooded goats are the ones always misbehaving. What is up with that? My unregistered percentage does can be naughty but they aren't near as naughty as the registered ones....hmmm...

Well, big man did climb out on the part where I hadn't fixed, but I was watching all day and knew exactly how he got out. I ran chicken wire around the rest of his pen except by his shelter <ran out of wire>, but I don't think he can or would want to get out over there since there is old fence on the other side and brush on the other side, plus that fence is much tighter/stronger.
    I reinforced some of the sections with large limbs vertically against the fence so he can't bend the fence. Chicken wire is up around 7-8 ft all the way around. Hopefully he doesn't sneak out.

If he does, my husband will chain him up, BUT....we won't keep him. WHile I was fixing the fence, he was trying to climb out of the regular pen to get into the woods. Of course I ran him off before he got a foot on the fence, but I just can't risk it.
    If he keeps doing this we'll talk to our breeder friend we got him from, she's already said he can come back over and she'd take care of him as long as we pay for his feed & hay. So we'll see.

I wish we could put someone in with him, but the only one we could put in, well she's just as sneaky as him, and she could and would find somewhere to get out so she could be with the rest of the herd. The others are all possibly preggo, and the herd queen and her doeling are bonded, and can't seperate them....and he can't stand the whether.

This is like a goat soap opera...LOL

Oh, the whole time I was putting up the wire, my herd queen and her doe were standing on either side of me watching, pulling at my coat, chattering, and giving me those big curious eyes. They are so silly. I am glad I don't have these problems with my girls. ::knock on wood!::

8. Hidden Waters Farm

Oct 3, 2010
    Maine
    Just out of curiosity what does he do to the wether? Head butting is normal as they are just trying to determine who is going to be the boss.

9. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    He chases him around, and I mean he goes after him, and will butt him really really hard if he gets him cornered. Not the 'I'm the boss' kind of way, but the 'get out of here before I rip you a new butt' kind of way. It was really bad when the girls were in heat, because he didn't want that whether anywhere near the doe who was in heat. For that matter he also has little patience for our young doe too, she was born in July and although her mama is herd queen and affectionate with the buck, he just doesn't seem to like her. But He doesn't go out of his way to be mean to her.

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Glad.... you have figured out...... how to keep him in..... :thumb: If he wants to be mean.... to a whether..... then he can stay.... all by his itty bitty self.... :wink: As long as... he can see the Does.... he is not alone...... I have had my bucks separate in the past.....and they did OK.... in a pen Alone.... :wink: