MY BUCK IS NOT GETTING BUCKY!!!!???

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by KFOWLER, Mar 2, 2011.

1. KFOWLER

KFOWLER New Member

Oct 5, 2010
    OKLAHOMA
    I have a nigi/boer mix buck...he is 4 yrs old and not showing any signs of rutting!!! He did last year when I first bought him. He has been running with my does since the first part of December and I have seen no signs of him being in rut...no urine encrusted legs and face...no lip curling...NOTHING!!! I have seen some of the does mounting each other...so I know the does are going in and out of heat. I put him back in his pen for a few days...maybe that will do the trick...any suggestions would be appreciated. I will be separating them by late April/early May to avoid winter kids but would like to have some this summer. :whatgoat:

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Is he the only male? If so, even getting a wether would give him some competition, when I kept my pygmy buck as my only male, it took him a few years to get that nasty billy goat persona, getting my nigi buck gave him some competition and even when he wasn't stinky, he still did the job as he started sireing kids at 4 months old.

3. KFOWLER

KFOWLER New Member

Oct 5, 2010
    OKLAHOMA
    Yes he is the only male...my young buck died a few weeks ago. I plan on getting another buck just haven't yet. I have a couple neighbors with goats...maybe they will let me borrow a wether or buckling for a few days. Thanks for the suggestion!

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    They don't have to be stinky to actually get the job done. More then likey all your does are bred so he doesn't see the need to romance them. Bucks do know when they are bred already (well some do, I call those the gentleman.)

5. KFOWLER

KFOWLER New Member

Oct 5, 2010
    OKLAHOMA
    Maybe he has done his deed...he is a very gentle buck. Thanks!!

6. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    Just because the does are mounting each other doesn't mean they are not bred. They will mount each other and act bucky as a dominance thing, or when they are hormonal (which could be a result of being pregnant.) It is quite possible he impregnated all of them and he knows it.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I do agree with all the others.... :thumb:

8. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I agree too, our buck wouldn't mess with a doe if she was bred, and we were just lucky enough to catch all the girls breeding dates since our buck ran with the herd.

9. WarPony

WarPony New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Michigan
    I was sure my buck was lacking in the manly arts of romance and it turned out he had just been the shy type and bred them all at night on their first heat cycle. lol. He never did get REALLY bucky. Which was actually quite nice.

10. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    Think about it ...where did the does learn about mounting ... I think he did his job very politely :laugh:

11. KFOWLER

KFOWLER New Member

Oct 5, 2010
    OKLAHOMA
    I hope so...thanks!!

12. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Having a good, gentle buck who does not get bucky...is a good thing. Especially if he got his job done. Revel in it! I don't like bucks being very aggressive. I have one that is very gentle, but will charge the cattle panel and bend the crud out of it.