The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Is he young? Are you sure your does are in heat? None of my girls seemed to be really coming into heat, I had a younger buck out with them because I wanted him to be the main buck to breed then let the older one catch what he missed. Yesterday I changed bucks thinking little guy was just not getting it. So far 2 does have come into heat, the older one smells bad so I think thats what triggered the heats. He may also be doing more then you think he is doing. On some of my does last year I only knew they got bred because of messy tails, I didnt see or hear anything. And yes he may not be a.......very manly man lol.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I had a yr old ND buck that nvr went into rut nvr bred anything nvr even got Bucky with siblings when he was really young it was really weird we gave him to a friend nvr fixed and he has still nvr been Bucky lol it was weird

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
How come all these does are in such wild crazy heat and my buck doesnt care?
The first thing that comes to mind is that he is a non-breeder. The 2nd thing that comes to mind is that he is taking care of business after dark, so he isn't worried about it. If they come back in heat in roughly 21 days, you will know what the problem is. ;)

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Those marking harnesses sure do show you what you have missed. I was going to say try that as well. It also seems there are as crazy goat said non breeder. I hear about bucks not doing their job often. A lady friend of mine purchased a older buck never saw any breeding but figured she just missed the deed. It was luck she found a good deal on a wether buck put him out there and bred all the does with the older one just laying under a tree. Breeding harnesses are about $20 and $4 for the chalk. I would think about getting one its better to maybe waist a little money and know if your feeding something that's not pulling his weight.

·
2,203 Posts
Cheaper to work with tail chalk (or tail marker depending on your location). Paint the does with different colors (if you only have a few) or just paint them all am run through daily checks 2x/day. Watch his chest and under his front legs, and watch her tail head, and rump for smudges.

·
2,203 Posts
I could see an oil base paint working, but like mentioned hair spray won't rub onto another goat.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
My buck just realized he has a penis and he gets enjoyment out of it! But my does aren't in heat so he is pleasuring himself.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts