My Buck is "playing" with the buckling

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by jay13, Mar 24, 2010.

1. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    Ok, I realize there is no polite way to ask but what is the deal with my buck? He is spending what seems to me like an inordinate amount of time um... nibbling on the buckling's balls. :oops:

It doesn't seem to bother the buckling much as it is usually when he is eating but what is the deal?????? We plan on banding the buckling this weekend as he has a horrible over bite.... we renamed him "dork fish" lol after Bill Engval's comedy bit. He is cute as all get out but definitely dorky.

Any ideas? I don't want the balls coming off in the bucks mouth once they start to shrivel or anything... gross!~

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I am sorry - but I am rolling laughing!!!!

I don't know how to stop that - maybe some vinager water sprayed on the little guy?

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Wow....never heard of that before...hmmm ... :chin: Maybe smack him on the nose each time he does, then he may get the hint to stop that behavior.... or like Allison mentioned... put something that he won't like to taste... but safe to put on that sensitive area... :wink:

4. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    Don't feel bad kelebeck, I noticed the behavior the other day and have been trying hard to find a way to ask the question! Sooooo embarrasing. Basically this buck will nibble on anything, including me which can get rather annoying. He kept nibbling on my hand while I was working in the barn the other day, SUPER annoying especially since I have been trying to find away to rig the monitor cam so that it works. So far the metal building is interfering with the reception so I am looking at having to mount it outside and just sili-skooge it in place so that it can see what is going on inside. Trust me, its been a real PITA! Add that to a buck who wants to nibble on anything exposed, including wires and it is frustrating!

ETA: Any ideas on what I can put on the little guy to keep the nibbling from continuing? And do goats lick themselves and would the little guy get a taste of nastyness too?

5. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Maybe some Bitter Apple on the little guy's testicles will discourage the behavior

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Spray his sack with blu kote now.... it has a horrible taste and will get him "ready" for the band. And yes, they can reach back that far to nibble.

7. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    wow that is too funny. when I read the title of the post I was not thinking of that type of "playing"! my buckling and buck play, but it is the "I'm going to kick your butt" (not I'm going to lick your butt) kind of play...

anyway, bitter apple or blu kote sounds like a good idea! some people also use pine tar for this sort of problem when it's chickens picking on other chickens. g'luck... and lol, I hope you at least got a few good laughs out of that problem!!!

8. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    I don't have either blu kote or bitter apple... can any one think of something else I can use? Oh and he is about 10 weeks now... how much longer will be too long to wait to band him?

9. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    Some people wait that long to band so that their urethras are more developed... and I have heard of people banding full-grown bucks, so I guess it's never too late.

Hmmm, no blu kote or bitter apple. What about something spicy? Although that might burn the poor little buckling, I would imagine that could be a sensitive area...

10. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    As long as his sac is still small enough for you to easily get the band over them, wait as long as you want. I have banded full grown bucks with success...as far as putting something on him to prevent the bigger boy from nibbling, it would be hard to suggest anything else because things like bag balm will attract dirt and things like hot pepper paste would irritate the sensitive skin...... Any chance you could get him banded and put him with another goat til they fall off?

11. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    unfortunately no, if I were to separate him he would have to be by himself and share a dog house for shelter and he is LOUD when he is unhappy. The strangest thing about this whole situation for me is that he doesn't seem to be bothered by it at all??? WTH?

12. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Vinigar water or lemon juice/water

13. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I have no suggestions sorry but thanks for the good laugh. :ROFL: :laugh: