my buck is sick!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by luvmygoats, Mar 7, 2009.

1. luvmygoats

luvmygoats New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Western New York
    Can anyone help. I have never had a sick goat before but my Jack seems very ill. Yesterday he seemed to be acting dull and had some froth at his mouth. He was eating so i just kept a eye on him. Tonight though he has the runs along with the froth and I have found a HUGE lump under his jaw. So i am thinking Bottle jaw. He was wormed with ivomec in Dec. an is due now. Should i give him the ivomec now. I have given him some vitamins and electrolytes with probiotics in his water but from what i have read i should get on this right now. I have vit. B12 but have never given a shot IM. on subQ. how do you give it?
    Can some one direct me please.

Gina

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I don't have much experience with that kind of thing...but sending good thoughts and prayers that you can find out what is wrong and get it treated. I'm sure someone on here has a bit more experience.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    bottle jaw is caused by the barber pole worm. Yes he needs to be wormed if it is bottle jarw - wont hurt him if it isnt.

How do his eye lids look?

He will also need iron. So if you can get some iron injectable that would be good. If not Red Cell works too (liquid labled for horses found at most horse feed stores).

what is his temp?

4. Anna

Anna New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Fayette, AL
    Do you have any other wormers? I'm mainly posting to bump this up. My thought though is that the ivomec didnt do it's job for him to have a an overload like that just yet.

I give b12 subQ, I think it can be given either way. I like giving it in the loose skin behind thier front legs (thier arm pit) Pinch up the skin to make a "tent" and insert your needly. I'ld give him 2 ml.

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The lump is indicative of a worm load or even a splinter abcess from rubbing is face on something. Absolutely worm him again as well as the vitamin B....If his lids are pale as Stacey said, he is anemic and need some iron...I have seen Red Cell at Tractor Supply, so if you have a TSC nearby I'd get it. The iron injectable would also help.

If he is eating and the runs continue, cut out any grain for a few days and give him extra hay....in place of grain, try some dry oatmeal and saltines or toast....the oatmeal will help bind his poo, maybe even a dose of pepto will help, the foam at his mouth is something I would relate to a toxic plant, if it is at all possible that he ate something he shouldn't have then dose him with Milk of Magnesia..it will help rid his belly of the bad stuff...but do give him some probiotics to replace the good bacteria...either yogurt or the gel will suffice.

I am sorry that Jack is ill and I hope he gets better quickly :hug:

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Just curious how this little guy is doing. Do you have any pictures? How is his temp? Still have the runs? Eating?

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am also concerned on... how he is doing? :worried:

8. luvmygoats

luvmygoats New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Western New York
    Thank you all for your response to help Jack. Sorry I didn't get back to you last night but I stayed out in the barn with Jack until about 11. Tim is off on a fishing trip and I am here alone this weekend so I really appreciate your help. I dosed Jack with Ivomec (the only wormer i have right now) for which his son Diablo pummeled me for. I guess he was protecting his daddy. He did eat some oatmeal with yorgurt mixed in. He does look pale so i will get some red cell today. When I left him last night he seemed a bit brighter but that may have been his desire to get away from me.lol I will continue the vitamins and electrolytes with probiotics also. Hopefully he will be doing better this morning. i will let you all know when i come back in from the barn.

Gina

9. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Is he in by himself? Does he have a buddy?

If he is frothing at the mouth, that is a sign of bloat. Is his left side swollen or bloated? Can you get a picture of where the lump is?

10. luvmygoats

luvmygoats New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Western New York
    Jack sure gave me a scare this morning! when i went out to the barn he was laying down and wouldn't get up. That is just not normal for Jack. I checked him over and gladly the froth was gone from his mouth, but he wouldn't get up! So I called our vet. So then Jack got up. guess he just didn't want to see the vet. lol Our vet said that we did everything that he would do (thank you all soooo much!) and to bring a stool sample in on Monday. He seems to be a bit more perky now and i just saw him with out in the barn walking around with the feed bucket on his head, so he is definatly feeling better. He had some more oatmeal today but only hay and water otherwise. Sure is hard to have one not feeling well, just like our children.
    So I will try to get Jack to give me a stool sample and go from there. but for now he is up and around raising hell with his son, Diablo.

Gina

11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh thats at least some good news. maybe everythign is just starting to kick in. Glad he will do a fecal! :thumb:

12. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Oh Gina, I am so glad to hear that Jack is doing better! Hmmmm...trying to get a stool sample??? I hope the darrhea has stopped and he's making at least tootsie rolls if not berries.

13. luvmygoats

luvmygoats New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Western New York
    Hi Liz,
    what wouldn't we do for our goats.lol Guess i will find out today if he still has runs. Our vet really liked the oatmeal idea. Hope Jack is feeling cooperative this morning.

14. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I had a goat that I had to get a stool sample from. He had the runs really bad. All I did was take a baggie turn it inside out and I wiped his butt. Got plenty, turned the bag right side in and off to the vet we went. He had Cocci really bad and he was 3 years old.

Glad to hear is is doing better.

15. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    glad he is better....let us know what the stool sample results are ....when it comes in.... :wink:

16. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    FWIW, when taking a stool sample it is better to actually put a finger inside and get some fresh stuff, if you take it from the backside or legs of a scoury animal there is a chance the animal has laid down, and picked up other organisms from the ground, which will contaminate the results.

Also just a different suggestion - wooden tongue.