My buck is vomiting! Poisoning?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Victoria, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    It's 2am and my buck, Lance just woke me up out of a sound sleep. He was screaming so lowd, it woke me up. I thought maybe my last doe due was delivering early... Went to check everyone in the pouring rain and he was off by himself..VOMITING!!!! NOT GOOD!!!!!! Oh man I am so afraid for him. I know I need to coat his stomach so I am doing that, but I am maybe forgetting something?? I will give hime something for pain and hope he will live through the night. I tried to call Olivia, but she is sound asleep in her cozy bed..as I am sure most of you are...poor Lance! He got out today and was munching on grass, I am so afraid that he got into my neighbors rhodies...my goats always stay away from that side of the fence, and the rhodies have never been a peoblem, but that is the only toxic thing around..If I am forgetting to do somthing for him that my help..please let me know...and O will be :pray: :pray: :pray: He makes it through the night..!!

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Re: EMERGENCY

The vomiting is indicative of rhodi or azeala poisoning. As long as he is ridding his gut of the toxins, it is good. Get some M.O.M milk of magnesia into him...and later, a bit of yogurt. I hope I wasn't too late to help Victoria.

3. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon

It is so hard to give him the MOM !! I got the bute down him no problem, but then he fought and fought . I know he got some, maybe 40 mls or so, no near as much as he needs. He looks horrible my poor boy!! If he lives till 6am my time, (in 3 1/2 hrs) I will take him to work with me..He is such a nice boy!! Man I feel just terrible! The bute has him quiet, so I know he is in less pain...I am gonna talk to the neighbor and those rhodies are going down!!! I hate them anyways!! Nothing much I can do now...Called Olivia again, but no answer!! :( I will try for sleep, and update ya'all in the mornin..

4. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon

Called my boss/vet, she said i have done all I can do.
    I can't sleep I am just crushed that this happened to
    Lancelot!!

5. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA

Oh no :hug: , sorry about your boy, how's he doing this morning?

6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

Get some activated charcoal into him asap.

I'll be praying for him.

7. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio

I am so sorry. You are doing all you can. :(

8. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia

I'm sorry I didnt see this sooner.

Ashley is right, he needs activated charcoal as soon as is humanly possible, to counteract the poisons. I think someone has used the stuff for fish tank filters before ... or you can get livestock specific stuff.

In a pinch you can burn some toast and scrape the black bits off, but the activated stuff is far, far better.

Crossing my fingers for you and your boy ... keep us updated

9. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon

I am shocked and amazed Lancelot lived through the night!
    I will be taking him to work with me, he looks terrible and we can
    really get some meds into him with help..I don't have charcol, and will be bringing some home, along
    with a soft feeding tube for stuffing meds int goats that don't want meds.
    I would have done the burnt toast if i felt I could get it into him..He is a big poop..and strong..
    But I will be beter prepaired next time, although I am going to
    get after the rhodies tomarrow. Thank you all so very much for your kind words, and support!
    It felt good to get on here at 2am and sheare my troubles..I will update when I get home tonight..

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

Oh thats great news. :) I was just typing a reply asking how he was doing and you beat me to it.

Vomitting can be very scary to watch but it is actually a good thing when a goat is poisoned. Praying he continues to do better :pray:

11. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas

I am so glad that he is doing better. My thoughts are with you both :hug:

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Oh wow.....I am praying he will continue to improve......... :hug: :pray:

13. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa

How scary!!! I'm glad that he was screaming so loud that you were able to hear him though. We have a few Rhodies that I've been thinking about getting rid of because I'm so afraid that the goats may get them if they ever escape. The goats aren't worth risking :hug: I'm glad to hear that's he's doing a little better.

14. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

Glad he is doing better, sorry but I was on my way out for work this morning when I saw your S.O.S.....My moms goats got out a few months ago and got into the rhodie and azaelas , the vomiting is scary to watch but it is best that he was doing it...I used the rhodi poisening formula from Fiasco Farms site as well as yogurt after they were thru with the vomiting....worked great and all 8 are healthy.

http://fiascofarm.com/goats/medications ... .htm#rhodo

15. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon

Sad to say we are not out of the woods yet. He looks aweful, and any time he get medicated, he vomits. giving the ing..follow
    I am curious if any of you out there in goatie worls have ever dealt with this kind of toxin, I am calling it rhodie
    poisoning I really am hoping to find out more of what to expect. I am giving him fluids, keto gel, magnalax, thiamine, B12, dexamethasone, and a bit of molasses. He is drooling and shaking, I have him under a heat lamp, and in a stall away from the does. I am so sorry for him..Please pass on any advise or info from your experiences. Thanks for all the support, I really really appreciate it...

16. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

with Rodie poisoning you need to get activated charcoal into him -- there is a gel you can get, good for dogs, cats, goats you name it. Also some (gonna butcher this name) accidopholise is good -- dont ask my why but it worked for my goats (somethign about good bacterial for the rumen or something- duno it was moms idea).

Remove all grain and just give water and hay - even limit that to a small amount a day.

17. Deena

Deena New Member

Jan 31, 2009
    North Carolina

Victoria Im so sorry yall are going through this we just went through it last week with baby she pretty well didnt eat for 4 days I was so scared we would loose her. Our vet gave me 3 banimine shots to give her I gave her vitamin b complex shots, pepto,molasses,and probiotics.She ate on the 5th day but nothing but hay on the 6th.She did eat some minerals while she was sick.

18. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon

The Vet said activated charcol is not labeled for goats.
    What is the dosage?? She is a cow/horse vet, not so much goaties,
    but she does see them at times. I know about the acidopholus but doesn't
    the probios give good flora in the guts as well?? I have a call into the doc and I will
    ask her again about the charcol, thanks!

19. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

I gave maxinne about 6-12cc's of the activated charcoal and she was about 30lbs. It is probably too late to give charcoal now anyhow, but you can still try it. Most of the toxin's will either have been absorbed by his body or thrown up.

Here is the activated charcoal I have: http://www.jefferslivestock.com/ssc/pro ... id=0029019

And probios has Acidophillus(sp) in it. :wink:

20. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

I agree with Ashley, the charcoal now will likely not help.

Keeping him hydrated would be good as well, the vomiting made him lose fluids so try getting him some gatorade...hopefully he'll like the flavor enough to want it.