My Buck Jumps like a Deer

Discussion in 'Bucks' started by Adam Spires, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Adam Spires

Adam Spires Member

Oct 26, 2020
    Ohio
    My 1 y/o spanish/Kiko/kinder buck loves to jump fences and breed as many females as he can. He jumps fences for fun it feels like. He's super sweet so it's easy to get him back to his own pen but I can't have him breeding does I don't want bred. Does anyone have any advice to help stop him from jumping? (We've built the fences higher and higher and it seems to be helping)

MadHouse likes this.
  2. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    How high is your fence? You can put electric on the inside and across the top to discourage climbing on and jumping the fence. A very cheap idea is to teach your goat to tether. I've done that with jumpers before. Just make sure the tether is short enough that he absolutely can't jump over the fence and hang himself! When I tether goats I use smooth link chain and a leather collar. Chain can't kink or cinch down around a body part and cut off circulation, and a leather collar won't rub all the hair off his neck. There are a lot of things to learn with tethering goats, but it can sure be a life-saver in certain situations! I have packgoats so tethering is just part of their lifestyle, but it can sure come in handy with other goats as well.