The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
TKC Farms
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning before work I went to feed up. When I got to my buck and a wether in their pasture, when he got thru eating his alfalfa and very little oats, he went out and crouched down like a dog trying to use the bathroom. He did this a couple of times and then went on to pasture. This evening I gave both of them a teaspoon of Ammonium Cloride in a drench. Can I give another tomorrow or do yo have a better solution to my problem. I think he is having problems urinating . Thanks

Reactions: Moers kiko boars

·
Registered
3,828 Posts

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Are you sure he is not just ...uh...practicing for rut? My young bucks do that this time of year. It looks like something is wrong, but they are just getting ready. They squat, extend a bit and pee small amounts at a time, but they are not having problems.

Treat with AC and watch closely, but there are other reasons for him to be doing that. If he continues, maybe a vey check up might be in order.

·
TKC Farms
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe that what it is. He was in the pens with the girls in July this year for a month. I was hoping to have the kidding season around the end of December / first of January 2021 this time. Then come May 2021 the kids would be 5 to 5-1/2 months old come sale days. Should I keep drenching Ammonium Cloride once a week maybe for insurance.?

·
TKC Farms
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you sure he is not just ...uh...practicing for rut? My young bucks do that this time of year. It looks like something is wrong, but they are just getting ready. They squat, extend a bit and pee small amounts at a time, but they are not having problems.

Treat with AC and watch closely, but there are other reasons for him to be doing that. If he continues, maybe a vey check up might be in order.
Do you think drenching AC is ok? How often?

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,390 Posts
If you’re feed alfalfa and ‘very little’ oats, it’s likely any UC you deal with could be calcium caused. If you happen to have hard water, DEFINITELY calcium caused. AC will not help this.

Nonetheless, my boys do the crouch thing - it is unrelated to peeing.

Just make sure they are peeing and pooping during the day!!

·
8,163 Posts
As with all things goat, each person does the ammonium chloride differently. I put a big pinch (what I can put between my thumb and forefinger) in each buck and wether's feed dish on top of the grain once a day. Not saying (and knock on wood) this is why I've never had UC, but for me it works.

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
AC wont hurt to give daily as preventive. Can add to his water..Def. can be buck behavior, tis the season...but I would stand out with him until I see him pee a strong steady stream before I rule out stones.

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts
AC wont hurt to give daily as preventive. Can add to his water..Def. can be buck behavior, tis the season...but I would stand out with him until I see him pee a strong steady stream before I rule out stones.
Right now if i did this i would never be able leave the pen lol. They rarely ever pee a stream right now... it is all to wash their faces, beards, legs and bodies in their cologne. Nasty boys.

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
Right now if i did this i would never be able leave the pen lol. They rarely ever pee a stream right now... it is all to wash their faces, beards, legs and bodies in their cologne. Nasty boys.
Since he was not sure what he saw and concerned about UC, it would be best to rule everything out. Of course if he sees it again and the goat is indeed acting bucky, peeing on himself or extending..no need to watch for full stream then..

Reactions: MadHouse

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
FYI: A goat straining to pee will stretch in a sawhorse position and then stand there like he's waiting for something to happen. They don't hunch like a dog because when the bladder is full, hunching is painful. They also lay around by themselves and don't move much when they have UC and will sometimes call out, grind their teeth, and look at their side. The symptoms are very similar to a goat experiencing rumen trouble.

·
TKC Farms
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
FYI: A goat straining to pee will stretch in a sawhorse position and then stand there like he's waiting for something to happen. They don't hunch like a dog because when the bladder is full, hunching is painful. They also lay around by themselves and don't move much when they have UC and will sometimes call out, grind their teeth, and look at their side. The symptoms are very similar to a goat experiencing rumen trouble.
I forgot to mention also he has gotten bad about rearing up on his hind feet and butting the gate or large fence post. Could this also be some rutting maneuver?

·
TKC Farms
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Did it look like this:
View attachment 187297

Because he was totally trying to pee all over himself when we were trying to get photos.

Rearing up and head butting sounds like normal naughty buck behavior, likely due to rut.
No, he wasn't stretched out. He was in a crouched position like a dog does when taking a dump.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts