The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a buckling that was born February 11. He was a twin, bottle baby. He is just a little bigger than my 5 week old buckling (my little buckling is on his mom unlimited and she is a great milker and he is big for his age I think). I have dewormed him with ivomec, ivomec plus, and also Molly's herbals. His poop is goat berries and not runny or clumpy (so I don't think coccidia). He has unlimited browse. He will not eat the dumor goat feed (that has proper ca and phos ratio) so he does not get much for grain. I was hoping to use him for breeding this fall but really doubt he will be tall enough. thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
58,887 Posts
My first thought is coccidia. They don't have to have diarrhea to have coccidia. i would do a fecal and make sure they also look for coccidia.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I live a ways from town and will not be going there this week. I would like to do something asap. Is there a way I can check for coccidia myself or I have di-methox 40% on hand. Can I just treat him?

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
Tape worm can stunt growth as well, ...but easily seen in the poop...

you can do a fecal at home...here is a link to show how...

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
I would go ahead and treat for cocci, it won't hurt him. I would also try to get him on some kind of grain. Can you get the Dumor goat sweet feed? I've yet to meet a goat that will turn down sweet feed. All of my kids are on the Noble Goat medicated feed and they love it.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looking through the threads for the dosage of the di-methox 40% and i found so many different things. do I give it orally or inject? Looking for the most effective treatment. Would like to get it done today. thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts