My Bucks Sick!!!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by TXGoat Mama, Jun 13, 2019.

1. TXGoat Mama

TXGoat Mama Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Amarillo TX
    I have a 7-month-old Nigerian Dwarf Buckling that was acting weird today. When we went out to feed and he wasn't bugging us with the other goats. I went to look for him and he was laying down and can't seem to get up and is kicking. I palpated him all over no reaction from him. No visible wounds. Got him up and he started walking. He pooped and peed. We looked for snake bites. Found nothing. He normally is not very happy being handled much but tonight he was just laying there. I would say he had labored breathing? When I brought the feed out he got his normal excited self??? But when he was done eating he just laid down. We checked on him again about an hour later and he was just laying down and didn't get up like he normally would with us calling t him. They are due for worming again in about a week?

So he is eating, drinking, pooping and peeing. Just seems lethargic?? any ideas??? PLEASE!!!

2. NigerianNewbie

NigerianNewbie Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2018
    Central NC
    Have you taken his temperature? If so, what was the reading? If you haven't taken his temperature, please do and post the results.

When you deworm again in a week, what type of worm have you been treating for? The name of the product being used, and the dosage amounts he has been given so far would be appreciated. Also, is the buckling showing signs of anemia? (Pale inner eyelids)

What type of minerals do you use and what have you been feeding him? Any recent changes to his feed, hay, browse?

I know this seems like a lot of questions, the answers help to narrow down the possibilities.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    Trollmor and mariarose like this.

3. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Call a veterinarian out, a down goat can be a dead goat in a very short amount of time.

goatblessings and Trollmor like this.
  4. TXGoat Mama

TXGoat Mama Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Amarillo TX
    His temp is 101.9. We use safeguard fenbendazole. current dosage for him 1 mL. His eyelids are a bit pale. our we give them Manna Pro Goat Mineral Supplement every moring individually and then they can clean the others up. We feed the Versatile Ranch Hand by Bluebonnet. and they have bluestem grass as well as some straw out there and weeds. None of that has changed. He is out during the day with 3 Nannies and 1 doe around his age. They have been butting more as he's getting older. he is also out during the day with 3 bottle calves. My dad thinks he was kicked or head-butted hard and is sore.

This morning same just keeps getting up and down. But is excited about food and his minerals.

5. SalteyLove

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    I think you are underdosing the Safeguard.

In addition, Safeguard may not be an effective dewormer in your area and used alone.

I highly recommend you get a fecal sample to the veterinarian to see what the parasite load is and what they recommend for dewormer in your area. Also have them check for coccidia in the sample.

Weakness from anemia caused by parasites is much much more likely than an injury in a goat under 1 year old. Not saying injury isn't possible, just that parasites are a tough battle at that age in the summer season !

6. TXGoat Mama

TXGoat Mama Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Amarillo TX
    If he does have worms what is the best treatment. I have to wait until the vet is in before I can take him in.

7. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    How do his lungs sound? He may also have pneumonia. It doesn't always have a fever.

8. NigerianNewbie

NigerianNewbie Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2018
    Central NC
    You can take a fecal sample to the vet, or send it to the laboratory for testing. It is not always necessary to take a goat to the vet for a fecal test alone, unless it is the policy of the vet office to have a vet check first. The best treatment for the worms depends on what type of worms the fecal shows.

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with a vet seeing the goat.

Safeguard was way under dosed and doesn't work for most when given proper dosage anyway.

A fecal for worms and cocci.
    Then treat properly if the goat has any of it.
    Try to get an accurate weight.

If anemic, give red cell, 6 cc's per 100 lbs orally. Do this for 1 week, 1 x a day, then 1 x a week thereafter.
    If however, at anytime the color returns to borderline famnacha chart color, stop then and there.

goatblessings likes this.
  10. TXGoat Mama

TXGoat Mama Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Amarillo TX
    he has coccidia. I'm going to treat him with corid. also, what is the best dewormer for goats that i can get at Tractor Supply?

11. TXGoat Mama

TXGoat Mama Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Amarillo TX
    ok, so he is 26 lbs, how much corrid solution should I give him?? I know it seems like I'm an idiot for asking all these questions, I just want to make sure I get it right.

12. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    What worms did a fecal say that he had? That is what decides what wormer you use for him.

13. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    6.25ml/cc per 25 pounds if using the 9.6% liquid solution. For five days in a row. Drenched.

2.2 grams Per 25 pounds if using 20% powder mixed with enough water or gatorade or anything he will drink so you can drench. For five days in a row.

14. TXGoat Mama

TXGoat Mama Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Amarillo TX
  15. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    So. What made you conclude that he has coccidia? Reading? A fecal? Because if a fecal was done to include coccidia.... the vet should have told you what wormer to use and why and dosage. Also.... they should have told you the dosage for corid as well. If you are just guessing by reading.... i HIGHLY suggest a fecal done to include coccidia again. At the very least.

He is a sick goat and you are a new owner. There are bad things that can happen quickly. The people on here give wonderful advice and not everyone is told to have a vet out. He really needs see the vet or you can harm him more by giving meds. And yes corid is a med. lethargic goats is a bad bad thing!

NigerianNewbie and goatblessings like this.
  16. TXGoat Mama

TXGoat Mama Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Amarillo TX
    We only have one vet around here that will take goats and they can't get me in till next week. I could get a fecal don't at the other vet but they could only confirm that it is coccidia. I called the vet and they said they recommended corid.

SalteyLove likes this.
  17. SalteyLove

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    I'm so glad you got a fecal analysis done and have begun treatment.

18. SalteyLove

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    You do not seem like an idiot! We all begin learning somewhere. Keep asking questions and reading all the information you can.

19. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    As too the wormer, we need to know what worm type you want to treat for?

Mixing undiluted Corid liquid:
    Mix 6 tablespoons corid to 16 oz water....
    For powdered mixture...3 ounces to 1 quart
    Pre mixed solution give as follows
    then dose it at ...
    30cc per 100lbs
    15cc per 50lbs
    7.5 per 25 lbs
    3.75 per 12.5 lbs
    1.875 per 6.25 lbs

treat individually for 5 days

20% Powdered mixture: 3 ounces(10.5 tblspns) to 1 quart water
    Mixed solution well. Shake well before use.
    then dose it at ...
    30cc per 100lbs
    15cc per 50lbs
    7.5 per 25 lbs
    3.75 per 12.5 lbs
    1.875 per 6.25 lbs

and so on
    treat individually for 5 days

For a 26 lb goat, it won't hurt giving 9 cc's.