The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I am new to this forum (my first post). Generally when I get pets, I want to research everything and make sure I have what it needs now and as it gets older. In this case, that did not happen. I know this is long, but I really need advice. :confused:

My dad for some reason got a pet goat without doing any research at all. He calls it a baby, but it looks about 25-30 pounds now. It is not castrated and has these horns. My dad didn't consult us about it and now it is in his backyard. The yard is a decent size, but it stays by himself in a corner. At this moment I have no clue what to do. I heard they are herd animals and need a friend, but I hate to add another goat to this situation. I also think it should be castrated, but we live kind of in a city area and I am not sure where would castrate a goat. Also, the goat does not have any shelter, just a big tree in the corner. I talked to my dad and he said he is working on it. The goat also does not come near people, because the place he was at before uses them for meat and didn't take care of him well. He really doesn't trust anyone. He needs a bath, but I do not know how to bathe it. He also needs to go to a vet, but I cant even go near it, more less get it in a car. I am sure his hooves need to be trimmed, but he doesn't trust anyone enough to go near him.

I am so frustrated now and I really want to give it away, but my dad does not want that and truly does not understand how big of a deal it is. I feel if we give it away, someone will just eat it (I don't want that to happen). My dad literally thinks he can just stick it in the back yard, it will keep the grass down, feed it alfalfa, fresh water and leave it alone. Its fine when its small, but I have no clue how big this goat will get and how hard it will be to handle once there are two big goats in this yard. I need some type of advice and help. I don't know how to handle this goat that does not like people, how to get him castrated and see a vet, get a bath, and if I should get another one so he is not by himself. I do not live with my dad and he has cancer (I am close by). I think he is trying and healthy enough now to take care of it, but I am still at a loss. If anyone has any advice on what I should do, I would greatly appreciate it. My dad is happy and really likes this goat (his name is Angel), but taking care of it (especially when he gets older) is another issue...

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
Can we see a picture of the goat? That would really help us help you. It does need cut, that can easily be done at home with a little courage. Not all goats get very big. If you can get pics of body from the side, head close-up, and from the back showing pkg. we can help you determine age and breed.
From there we can give you options for care.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Okay. So when you say he lives in town what exactly do you mean? Are you sure he is allowed to keep a goat? Can you attach a picture of said goat and yard? Then we will know what breed and how big he will get. Does he have access to hay right now? Castrating is good, but right now I think you need to worry about his health. He definitely needs somewhere to get away from the rain and wind. You can research if there is a large animal or livestock veterinarian in the area. You are going to need to slowly build up trust with him. Bring him treats and just keep getting closer and closer. I would have the vet ( once you find one) come out and check the buck out. He needs to have his feet trimmed and be tested for worms, and it sounds like you can't handle that without a vet since he is so skittish. Also you need to get him some goat loose minerals from your local farm store. Some popular stores are Orschelns and Tractor Supply company. Keep me updated!

·
Super Moderator
58,877 Posts
He really does need a friend and some shelter.

I would call around to vets and see if someone will look at him or know a livestock vet.

He will need to be castrated. He will stink when he gets older and hormones can make them aggressive.

You can start reading threads on this forum. Also Fiasco Farm has a lot of info.

Just spending a lot of time with him will help with friendliness.

He does need a good loose goat mineral out all the time for him.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I will be going by tomorrow and will take pictures of him and the yard. Right now, my dad bought him a big barrel of alfalfa and also gave him some goat milk since he won't drink from a bottle (not sure if he is too old for a bottle or what). He also has water as well. We live in the Dallas-Fort Worth Area in Texas. I'm sure there is a vet around here, just not sure where to start. Do you think it is possible for him to take care of this goat in the future if he is castrated? Also, should we get him another friend (male). We were thinking of getting one tomorrow so the smallest one won't be slaughtered, but I heard I should wait until it is castrated. Not sure how long that will take though since we haven't found a vet...

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I agree with the above. He will probably need to be dewormed, too. Sending in a fecal to the vet to know what worms you might have wouldn't hurt :)

·
Registered
380 Posts
U can get him a dog house to stay in. Get a big one incase u get another goat. He does need a buddy. If u can find a home vet they could come to u so u wouldn't have to load him in the car. And they may be able to castrate him for u. If he is scared dont try to pressure him to come to u. Get a chair and just sit there in the yard and talk to him. He will come around. If u feed him u will become his best friend. Goats are great companions. Give him a chance.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I will be going by tomorrow and will take pictures of him and the yard. Right now, my dad bought him a big barrel of alfalfa and also gave him some goat milk since he won't drink from a bottle (not sure if he is too old for a bottle or what). He also has water as well. We live in the Dallas-Fort Worth Area in Texas. I'm sure there is a vet around here, just not sure where to start. Do you think it is possible for him to take care of this goat in the future if he is castrated? Also, should we get him another friend (male). We were thinking of getting one tomorrow so the smallest one won't be slaughtered, but I heard I should wait until it is castrated. Not sure how long that will take though since we haven't found a vet...
Yes he should have a buddy as soon as you can get one. Castrated goats make great pets, so he should be able to care for them :)
Also, it would be a good idea to get them tested for CAE, CL (at least) and Johnes too. You can have the vet draw blood, and then send it to WADDL.

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
He doesn't need castrated to have a friend. That would be a good thing for him. There are surely people here who have vets in your area, we have many Texas members. The alfalfa is great. I think your dad is starting out very well.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
A friend should help him come out of his shell too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the help! I am feeling a little less overwhelmed. I will post back tomorrow with pictures of the yard and the goat. That way you guys might be able to tell what type of goat this is and how much trouble it will be or what we can do to make its habitat better. I will also go back and get another male goat for him (around his age) and see if there is a vet who can come out and see him. Also, I read somewhere about getting the goat dehorned. Is that important or will it be ok if it is castrated?

·
Super Moderator
58,877 Posts
Castrating and dehorning are 2 different things. I would definitely get him castrated. If you feel you don't want to deal with the horns, then I would band them instead of dehorning. There are tutorials on how to band horns.

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
He should be fine as long as he never is played rough with. Once they have horns showing, it is major surgery to remove them. Most wethers (castrated goats) are very gentle and loving.
Or you can band them off

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
I want to tell you, you did the right thing coming here for help.
Really you need to make sure it is ok to have two goats where your dad is. It would be horrible if you get another goat and find out you cant have them.
I woulg look in the phonebook for a livestock vet and give them a call.

·
Registered
361 Posts
BTW- Welcome to the Goat Spot! This is a wonderful place to learn just about everything you (and your dad) need to know. All the information you'll get can seem a little overwhelming at first (at least it did for me), but don't despair. It gets easier as you go along :)

·
Registered
30,594 Posts
Welcome to Goat Spot!!...I agree..a buddy would help him not be so shy...I prefer to leave the horns alone once they have grown...as goathiker said..just dont use the horns as handles or to push him away...this teaches bad behavior..a wethered goat make great pets. it takes time in winning them over, especially if they had a hard start in life as this little guy did...wasa crackers and raisen win the worse beast over! patients and speaking softly..provide Clean water, the alfalfa is great and loose minerals...I would skip the milk..he most likely has a fully functioning rumen and doesnt need milk any longer..
Cant wait to see his Picture!

·
Registered
56 Posts
It's very important to contact your town and confirm that a goat it allowed in your Dads neighborhood. It would be a shame to get attached and spend all that time and money to have to give them away. Please call ASAP.

·
Registered
637 Posts
It's very important to contact your town and confirm that a goat it allowed in your Dads neighborhood. It would be a shame to get attached and spend all that time and money to have to give them away. Please call ASAP.
Anonymously.
(Also will the SPCA take in goats there? Isnt there a show on Animal Planet that features..... one of the Texas SPCA's?)....

·
Registered
79 Posts
Anonymously.
(Also will the SPCA take in goats there? Isnt there a show on Animal Planet that features..... one of the Texas SPCA's?)....
The county Animal Control by me takes all animals. Last time I was there they had 3 horses, 2 potbelly pigs and a pen full of chickens. The supervisor I spoke with said that they also had a goat for quite some time before he got adopted.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts