My dear sweet Jade...

Discussion in 'Rainbow Bridge' started by mystic's_mom, Nov 17, 2007.

1. mystic's_mom

mystic's_mom New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Northern, MN
    The week of November 11th started out fairly normally; I was exhausted from my weekend youth trip to the Twin Cities, and greatful to be home, but of course had to be to work Monday morning. That morning started off as it normally did; when my husband left for his student teaching job, Jade came up and kept me company until I got up; he lay on my chest purring, and rubbing his face on my hand and face at random. When I got up, I fed the kitties before I left for work, and left thinking it was just going to be another work week. When I got home that evening I couldn't find Jade; to be honest I didn't really think anything of it, until later in the night when he normally would come out and get his routine nightly loving. I did a search of his normal hiding spots, and couldn't find him; then figured he would come out when he was good and ready. Tuesday morning he still hadn't come out, so I did another search before work...still no luck; the doors hadn't been left open so I knew he couldn't have gotten out...so he had to be somewhere, and I was just missing it. I had to abort my search and head to work; hoping that he would show his lovely face when I got home. No such luck, but he did finally come out of his 'extreme' hiding place and was under the bed on an extra pillow. I pulled him out, and did a quick look over; he looked dehydrated, and sunken in on his sides...I geussed he probably hadn't eaten since Monday morning when I last actually saw him eat. He was breathing really hard too...that was the part I didn't like. I left him in the bathroom and shut the door, and gave him some food while I went to tend to my barn critters. When I got home, he had barely touched the food; neither the canned or the dry, and hadn't drunk any water. I put his harness on him, and left a 4 foot lead on him so I had a way to find him should he go to hiding again. Then because he showed interest in sleeping with Sophie, I put a sleeping bag on the floor for them and hoped he would stay near by, so I wouldn't have to search high and low in the morning before bringing him to the vet. He slept with her most of the night, then crawled under the bed later in the morning.

Wednesday I brought him to work with me, and told the techs what was going on; we had blood work run right away. Everything seemed fairly normal, except one thing was really high, and one thing was low (don't remember which things). Jade's membranes were pale, and he also had a temperature, so he was put on Clavomax, and got a Baytril shot and IV fluids to start with. I was to bring him in the next day to see how he was doing and to do further testing if necessary if there was no improvement. I took him home, and he seemed to rest a bit more comfortably that night. He still did not want to eat or drink however. That night he was on his kitty condo and I just sat there petting him for a long time; he purred and purred and leaned into the pets that I ran along his topline.

Thursday morning, I couldn't find Jade anywhere...I looked high and low for the stinker; finally I found his lead sticking out from between some stuff under our bed; I had thought that the boxes he was inbetween were too close together for a cat to get in there, but I was wrong; I pulled one tub out, and then grabbed the lead, and he reluctantly came to me, like as if to say, "no more vet, and pokey stuff!" Can't say I could blame him, cause he would have even more blood drawn on this day to rule out Feline Leukemia. When that test came back negative, the vet suggested more IV fluids and some Barium so we could x-ray him right away the next morning to find out if there were any blockages. His temp was still high, as was his breathing labored, but it seemed like we might finally be getting close, or atleast heading in the right direction; I was hoping that on Friday we would finally know something definitive so that Jade would start feeling better. That night, I decided to set up Sophie's kennel for him, so I could see if he was eating or drinking anything at all, and how much; we also wanted to moniter any vomiting that may occur with the Barium that we had to give him. After I set him up in there, he just lay in front of the door; not wanting to come out, just lay there. He never moved the entire night. My heart sank a bit even though that afternoon I had felt my hopes rise.

Friday morning, I brought him in, and they x-rayed him right away; his stomach and intestines were unblocked...which was a positive thing, but my closest friend at the clinic (she's a tech) said that she couldn't even see his heart because there seemed to be so much fluid in this chest...not so positive. A bit later we drew a bunch of that fluid out of his chest...about 140ccs to be exact; and it was yellowish straw colored...I knew before the vet said anything that this was not a good thing. When he listed off the various colors of fluid you normally see in the chest due to illnesses I felt my heart shatter; he got to the stuff that Jade had in his chest, and said it's never good...incurable...FIP. They ran another xray, and ran testing on the fluid, and later on Dr. T came downstairs (I was working, mind you) and told me what we already basically knew; and said we had a decision to make. I told him that we could put him down later in the day. I wanted to get through work first...

Around 4pm I was finally done with all of my clients dogs, then went upstairs with my husband whom I had told to come over. I took Jade out of his kennel and just held him; My husband talked to the Dr. about the illness, and the various treatments (which all have the same end), while I just was kind of oblivious to all that...I just held Jade. He knew something was wrong...or he knew it was time, because he was so calm; all the other times that he had been taken out of the kennel he was always 'panicky' and wanted to crawl out of your arms. Now he just sat there and took all the affection, and tears in; and when I put him on the table, he sat there so...bravely...He would shove his face into mine everyonce in a while like as if to say "it's okay"; at one point he held his face on mine for nearly a minute...When the Dr. T came and gave him his first injection he didn't try to get away, or give his growly warning (which was as far as it ever went)...he sat there, and only let out a soft mew when the doc pulled the needle out. After about a minute, Jade drifted off to sleep. I never thought that this week would end the way it did...and the more I am reading on his illness the more I am finding out that he could have had it when I got him, or even before that; sometimes they can have it for years and the illness will not present until some stressful event throws their immune response off allowing the once dormant disease to fester...For Jade, it could have been my weekend away from home...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Bona Fide

Bona Fide New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Kentucky
    Sorry for the loss of your baby. :hugs: from us here in KY.

3. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    It is so hurtful to lose a pet like that- I'm so sorry. He was very beautiful.

4. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    I am so sorry. Losing a pet is so heart-breaking. Big hugs from this side of KY.

5. GSFarm

GSFarm New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Fairview, TN
    I'm so sorry!

6. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
  7. cute kids

cute kids New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    what a handsome boy. i am very sorry you have lost him.

8. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I'm so sorry you him, HUGS :hug:

9. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    So very sorry that you and Jade had to separate this way, you were very compassionate in making the decision you did. Remember he will be waiting for you, and is in a better place until he sees you again.

10. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    so sorry for your loss. what a beautiful special kitty.

11. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Im so sorry. :(

I lost my cat Princess a few years ago. I miss her so much. (((HUGS)))

12. mystic's_mom

mystic's_mom New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Northern, MN
    Thank you all :rose: I miss my boy very much...

13. LiddleGoteGurl

LiddleGoteGurl New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    WI
    Oh I am sooo sooo sorry. I know, losing your pet just breaks your heart, doesn't it? I lost my sweet Fudge (a red heeler) this Spring, and it just broke my heart. I am so sorry!