my doctor told me not to drink unpastuerized milk

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by sdshoars, Apr 8, 2009.

1. sdshoars

sdshoars New Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Elko, Nevada
    because i am pregnant. it's so irritating, i know my animals, and i don't see a reason why not if i handle the milk correctly and make sure everything is clean! dh doesn't want to keep them if we aren't going to use them. argh. i know i could pastuerize the milk, but with a baby on the way i don't really have a bajillion bucks to go spend on a pastuerizer. and i so badly wanted cheese and yogurt and ice cream. :sigh:

what would you do?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I would drink it LOL

Some babies cant handle mom's milk or even formula (soy) so many people use goat milk. Raw milk for young kids was what was used years ago because it is so much better for their little bodies then formula.

IF the goats are tested clean from CL and CAE then I wouldnt worry about drinking it. To me there are more hormones and additives in Cows milk that you should be worried about.

But thats just me :shrug: Maybe I dont know of any particular dangers to the baby......I would have to ask my mom.

3. sdshoars

sdshoars New Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Elko, Nevada
    the reason she gave me is that since it is not pastuerized it is more likely to have e.coli in it. but not if i keep it clean!!!

and there is no vet within two hours of me... is there somewhere i can send a blood test or something to have my girls tested for CL and CAE?

4. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    The reason for pasturizing was because way back dairies had NO sanitation standards so the make milk safe they cooked it. You know your animals, what they eat, and everything that touches the milk... so the problem here is a doctor who is undereducated on small farm issues.

Also to make cheese and yogurt you end up pasturizin the milk anyway :greengrin: . But I would put a gallon of my RAW milk against a gallon of commertial milk for good for u any day. I mean it even has the active cultures that things like activia or whatever have.

also hasn't shamrock farms started "fortifying" their milk with "extra calcium", vitamins, minerals, and whatever else?

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I would drink it. Doctors are full of BS these days. Fed money to say what will keep the drug industries wallets nice and full. But thats just imho. :)

She also dosen't want to be sued for telling you it's ok and then something happening.

I know my doctor would have a complete #### fit if he knew I was drinking unpasteurized milk, and I don't care lol.

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes you can draw blood and send it to WADDU I think it is. Contact RunAround or Kelebek as I know they use that testing facility

7. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Rubish...I would keep drinking it--it's better for you.

You could get more exposure to E. coli from a door knob, LOL. As long as the milk is handled properly, you're less likely to get sick from that than pasturized dairy products from the store.

Once a gallon of milk from the store has been opened, it's contaminated and becomes a breeding ground for all kinds of creepies. Since there's no "good bacteria" to keep the yucky stuff in check, it just multiplies...eek.

Plus, homogenized milk has been linked to heart disease and all kinds of other ailments.

This is just my oppinion. I'm definitely not saying you should never listen to your doc.--I just happen to disagree on this issue. I guess you just have to get the fact and use your own judgement.

Congrats on the pregnancy, BTW! :)

8. sdshoars

sdshoars New Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Elko, Nevada
    i am leaning towards just drinking it. but when i am ginormous in july i doubt i will be in the mood to milk, so maybe i can talk dh into it (doubt that).

and thanks! i am due 8/8, and her name is sienna diane!

9. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    I like it :thumb: . and cograts btw :stars:

10. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    We've had a customer who drank raw milk all through her pregnancy, and even gave it to her baby after he was born and they had no problems :)

somebody did a study once and put e coli in raw milk and pasteruized milk, and they found that after two weeks, the enzymes in the raw milk had destroyed the e coli but in the pasteurized milk it had continued to grow.

11. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    We pasterize on our stove top when were still milking and for our own uses as well we pasterized for our goats too, we bought a pasterizer when we first got into goats though.

12. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Well, all I can say is Congratulations on the little girl coming. :girl: That is great. :stars:

I can not say anything about the milk because I do not milk. I do believe if you are at all worried, I know someone that just boils it on the stove. Once it hits a certain temp it is fine. :leap:

13. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I was raised on raw goat milk...after mom weaned me lol

I also have a "friend" that started giving her 3 week old daughter raw goat milk as she was not producing enough to satisfy her daughter and she did not want to use "chemical formulas" on her.

I agree with all...you know your goats, never had a problem before right? Being preggy, if anything, you would enjoy the benefits as well as your daughter to be....Congrats.

14. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Our culture is so afraid of natural food it is scary. Drink raw milk, seriously, the idea of taken out the good stuff in milk and other food just to fortify it later is just . .. well silly.

15. critterhavenfarm

critterhavenfarm New Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Southern Middle TN
    I would drink it. This comes from the same MD's who tell you not to eat eggs straight off the farm but rather buy those in the store that have no telling WHAT added to their hens to up the production.

This thinking of 'what is in the grocery store is safer' has got to change at some point. How many people got sick and worse passed from this life last year because of salmonella that came from veggies in their grocery store!?! :hair:

This year we are growing most of our own food in the garden, canning and freezing it, and buying our meat from local area known to test and be safe organic farms also.

I say drink it, and congrats on your upcoming baby girl. :stars:

PS...I couldn't stand white milk when I was pregnant toward the end, but put a little bit of chocolate syrup into a glass with milk before bed...and YUM....! :wink:

Susan

16. sdshoars

sdshoars New Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Elko, Nevada
    i'm gonna drink it. and yes, this is a doctor who told me not to eat my own chickens' eggs... yeah right. i am going to eat my yummy fresh eggs. period.

17. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Well if its commertially done it MUST be safe. Like Tomatoes, spinich, peanut butter........ yep all very safe.

18. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    WHAT?? Don't eat your own eggs?!? Doesn't he know how much better eggs off the farm are for you than from a store?!? Some people are just crazy!!

19. CapraKoza

CapraKoza New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Once you've eaten fresh farm eggs, the ones in the store taste like cardboard. If goat milk was meant to be pasteurized,they'd be born with one built-in!

20. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    :applaud: :applaud: