My Doe has cuts on her teets... could her baby be biting her

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by BreKelsey, Feb 28, 2011.

1. BreKelsey

BreKelsey New Member

Jan 31, 2011
    My doe has a 5 week old buckling. recently I've notice she has cuts on her teets that scab up then break open when nursed or milked.... could her baby be biting her? and they're not able to heal up cause he nurses so often?? I'm thinking of taking him off and bottling... is this the best solution? what else could it be?http://thegoatspot.net/phpbb/posting.php?mode=post&f=12#

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Re: My Doe has cuts on her teets... could her baby be biting

Kids teeth can be very hard on the teats...they are sharp...they aren't actually biting her...it is more like cutting her....put bag balm on them..... if you feel you have to pull the kid.... then do so, if the damage is really bad... if it is superficial ... then it is OK... to keep him on her...but.... keep her in a clean area.... and watch her teat....

Is the kid nursing from both sides? If not... teach the kid the other side... :wink:

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Re: My Doe has cuts on her teets... could her baby be biting

Just as Toth said, the kids teeth are scraping her, I don't pull kids because of this but I do get mom on the milkstand to clean the affected areas and to apply bagbalm, it helps the area to heal as well as slow the kids down when they nurse. Pulling him to bottle feed at 5 weeks isn't going to be easy, getting him on a bottle would be very stressful for him as well as yourself.