The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an almost 6 year old doe that has had quite a few health concerns as of late, but I'm working in getting this girl healthy... Now the newest concern is that she is humpback? It's pretty noticeable... She's eating well, walking (a little stiffly but that's because she is on her knees a lot I think) she is also drinking...etc. Temp is 101.4 What could this be? I've treated for severe copper deficiency and wormed her recently... She was on Penicillin for a tooth abscess, that had cleared up.... Any ideas? She was tested for CAE in June and was negative..., as well as Johnes and CL.. She had been like this for a couple days... No improvement.....

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Have you had her blood screened for mineral deficiencies? I'm not super experienced but it might still be that. Hoof issues? Could she maybe have gotten used to being on her knees from other issues once before and just like it. Goats are weird.

As for the humpback - I wonder if that's a bi-product of being on her knees a lot.

I'm sure it won't be long before an experienced person chimes in.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Is it cold??? The only time I have seen mine hunch backed was when it was cold. You could try to put a coat on her and see if that helps.....if that's the issue.

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
hump back as in hunched over? could you post a picture?..
hows her weight? strength?
Bred or open?
Temp is a tad low..101.5 is low end of normal..I would keep a watch on that,,,could be nothing..but I would recheck a few times a day.
you say she spends alot of time on her knees...could have athritis? (not CAE).
Any back history on her, like prvious injuries or illnesses?

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
hump back as in hunched over? could you post a picture?..
hows her weight? strength?
Bred or open?
Temp is a tad low..101.5 is low end of normal..I would keep a watch on that,,,could be nothing..but I would recheck a few times a day.
you say she spends alot of time on her knees...could have athritis? (not CAE).
Any back history on her, like prvious injuries or illnesses?

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will post a pic tomorrow AM... It's not cold here... It's rainy and wet, but not that cold, she was out grazing in the wet weather along with the rest for a short period, I thought it was going to clear up some but nope, so in the barn they all went after about a half hour. She keeps up with the rest of the herd pretty well. She could be bred, but was going to find out through blood testing in late November so I can check all my girls... It could be mineral deficiency too I guess, the stuff came in the mail yesterday, will be giving all my breeding stock some on Monday except for the bucks... Can you test just for arthritis? Also, her worm load shouldn't be bad... Her gums and eyelids are great color, and I did ivermectin and safeguard at the end of July...will continue to monitor the temp... Will post a pic in the AM... Thanks everyone... I hope nothing is seriously wrong with her... Oh and yes I think she just got used to being down on her knees, and either likes it better or just does it out of habit.

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
I have a few does who like to graze on their knees...butits good to rule out problems just the same..I do believe a blood test can reveal arthritis...
Old injuries or illnesses, such as joint ill can cause stiffness...Its great you aready ruled out the scary stuff, CAE, Johnes and CL..

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
I cant see it either... maybe a side view pic would help??

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
Yes and looks like she like her to be right with you too..lol..some of mine are so hard to get a good pic of because their nose is always sniffing the camera lol

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okay , so she is out in the field with the rest, and she isn't humpback anymore... Weird... It really comes and goes. So I think we are fine now:) It must just be a bi product of being in her knees.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts