The Goat Spot Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I’m so sorry you are having such a heartbreaking Kidding experience. I agree on the loose minerals.
When I started out I also did not know about them and had only mineral salt blocks for my goats. Looking back, I was really lucky that my first kidding went ok.
Maybe you can get Replamin + to give to the remaining doe before she kids. It has a lot of selenium in it.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Sorry for your losses. I agree with others on the importance of good minerals and exercise.

We had a large buckling who was breech with one of my senior does. She’d been pushing 30 min and I saw what I thought was an ear but quickly realized was a tail. He was trying to come out full breech but was way too big. I had to glove up and push him back in, then maneuver his hind legs so they could come out first. He’s a healthy buckling and his two sisters arrived quickly after him. If I hadn’t intervened I probably would have had a dead doe and three dead kids. As you get more experience it gets easier to handle these situations. And this forum and everyone here are fantastic resources.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Sorry for your losses. I agree with others on the importance of good minerals and exercise.

We had a large buckling who was breech with one of my senior does. She'd been pushing 30 min and I saw what I thought was an ear but quickly realized was a tail. He was trying to come out full breech but was way too big. I had to glove up and push him back in, then maneuver his hind legs so they could come out first. He's a healthy buckling and his two sisters arrived quickly after him. If I hadn't intervened I probably would have had a dead doe and three dead kids. As you get more experience it gets easier to handle these situations. And this forum and everyone here are fantastic resources.
I agree with you. If I intervened maybe I could have saved 2 babies. I still feel bad about 49 . I was influenced by some article and my husband's saying that we should follow the nature of the animals.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
Congratulations, that’s great! They’re very cute! Girls? Boys? Some of each?
Did you get Maggie some Minerals? She’ll need them to help her keep up feeding her kids.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Congratulations!!! I am soo glad for you!
Little cuties!:inlove:

21 - 31 of 31 Posts