My Doe is supposed to be pregnant but I have no idea what I’m doing.

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by Jakethegoatboi, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Jakethegoatboi

Jakethegoatboi New Member

Sep 15, 2019
    Kentucky
    So I bought a doe that had been bred but her mate was killed by a dog, she was attacked and the owner didn’t want to deal with her. After taking her to the vet, getting the maggots out of her leg and treating her with penicillin shots for about a 1 month and a half she had healed up. Well I wasn’t sure if she was actually pregnant. But in the past month her udder had started to fill. This last week her udder has shrunken back up quite a bit (but it is still expanded a bit) and her pin bone is still hard. When I did the math with the information the former owner provided she could have the babies anywhere between August 28th and October 14th. Is it normal for her udder to shrink like that? She’s 3 years old and she had kidded once before. Any information would be great because I’ve never gone through a goat pregnancy before.

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Did the udder expand after the leg care or during? Sounds unusual for the udder to get bigger than smaller but I'm not sure I'm understanding your timeline. You can always have blood drawn and send in for a pregnancy test.

3. Jakethegoatboi

Sep 15, 2019
    Kentucky
    The udder started to expand after her leg was healed. Would anything other than pregnancy cause the udder to expand? So to clarify the timeline I bought the goat at supposedly a month and a half pregnant. She was housed with a buck until a week and a half before I got her. So the dates I put are the estimates for when she could give birth assuming she got bred anywhere in the month and a half she was with the buck.

4. CCCSAW

CCCSAW Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2019
    California
    Possibilities may include that she miscarried or had a still birth, if she's in a large area that she gave birth but the kid died, or a false pregnancy. Pictures may help.

I'm assuming the Oct 14th date is based possibly on the time of attack? Which would mean you got her some time in may or later correct?

5. Jakethegoatboi

Sep 15, 2019
    Kentucky
    Okay. She’s in an enclosed part of our small barn so she could be observed for the past month. In case she had babies. So she hasn’t birthed anything. I can try to get some pictures in the morning.

Yes I got her about mid may. So The date October 14th is roughly 5 months from the day her mate was attacked.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    When the udder begins to fill, it is approximately around 1 to 1 1/2 months prior to kidding.
    So mark that as a closer estimate for kidding.

To know for sure, do a preg test on her.

7. Jakethegoatboi

Sep 15, 2019
    Kentucky
    Okay I’m looking into doing a test now. If it’s a false pregnancy would she still test positive?
    Also her udder isn’t filled as much anymore. Is that normal?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  8. bisonviewfarm

bisonviewfarm Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2015
    CO
    If it's a false pregnancy the blood test will come back as not pregnant. It tests for pspb which is a Protein only put off by the placenta of a growing fetus

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  9. Jakethegoatboi

Sep 15, 2019
    Kentucky
    Okay. I’m in the process of finding a place to do the blood test. I have needles and the red capped vacuum tubes. One vet mentioned doing an ultrasound. How reliable would that be assuming she is at least 3-4 months pregnant?

10. CCCSAW

CCCSAW Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2019
    California
    An ultrasound would certainly tell you if there is a kid, but it's a price thing. Obviously ultrasound might be faster then waiting for test results and may give you at least an idea on the size and development of the kid or kids. But typically testing is cheaper too

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    The test should show one way or another. ;)