My doe is trying to prolapse, what do I do?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Fainters, Mar 17, 2008.

  1. Fainters

    Fainters New Member

    100
    Oct 10, 2007
    Western KY
    I have a doe that is not due until March 24th by my records. She has gotten very big this year and I assume that she is carrying tripletts since I have already had 4 sets born so far. She started having contractions on Saturday night and had them all night long about 15 minutes apart. I sat up with her waiting for the babies but none ever came and then she quit having contractions early Sunday morning. Then later that day I noticed that she has about an inch of her uterus coming out when she lays down. I went in and checked her and she is not dilated very much yet and doesn't seem to be in distress or labor anymore. I think that the contractions were to get the babies to move into position because she has been carrying them very high but I have never had one to prolapse and I don't know what to do if she does. Any suggestions? The babies were still alive this morning because I could feel them kicking. She is alert and eating and drinking.

    http://www.freewebs.com/scapegoatranch/
     
  2. StaceyRosado

    StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

    Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    if it goes back in that is a good thing. But if you are worried about infection (like I know I would be) then you can start her on penicillin.

    I don't have any other ideas besides getting a prolapse retainer.
     

  3. Fainters

    Fainters New Member

    100
    Oct 10, 2007
    Western KY
    When I see it sticking out, I encourage her to get up and then it does get sucked back in but I am afraid of it getting infected. She doesn't have that infection smell yet nor is she running a fever. What am I going to have to deal with when she does kid? I am so afraid that the uterus is going to come out at the same time.
     
  4. RunAround

    RunAround New Member

    Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I've read that a vet can stitch them closed back there and then you take the stitches out on the due date or when they go into labor. Not sure though. :shrug: I would call your vet and ask what they think you should be doing.

    Good luck. I hope everything turns out ok.
     
  5. sweetgoats

    sweetgoats Moderator

    Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    How is she doing now? I would keep a very close eye on her beings that she has already started her contractions. I know they went away but still watch her. Try to keep her in a clean area. If you notice it not going back in you can help it by washing it with warm water and help her get it in by using the palm of your hand to push it NOT YOUR FINGERS. That is to easy to rupture it. If it will not go in then poor sugar on it and put it back. The sugar helps shrink the uterus so it can go back in. Try this link. It is very helpful.
    http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/artic ... apses.html
     
  6. Fainters

    Fainters New Member

    100
    Oct 10, 2007
    Western KY
    I went home at lunch and checked her and she seems to be fine. She jumped up when I went into her stall so I don't know if it was sticking out prior to that or not but she has some goo coming out now and I hope that means that she will kid later today. I had never heard that about putting sugar on it but I will keep some handy.
     
  7. enjoytheride

    enjoytheride New Member

    Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I would think that keeping her in a clean environment would be enough to keep it from getting infected. Somthing like straw that wouldn't stick so bad. I have read a lot of threads that talk about a small prolapse not causing any problems but I have no personal experience.
     
  8. liz

    liz Active Member

    Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My pygmy Tilly scared me with a vaginal prolapse 3 weeks before she kidded with triplets. Your doe more than likely has the same type of prolapse, I called my vet and he put a purse string stitch in her so she couldn't push it out even more, hers was out an inch and would go back in as she stood but she was continually pushing out. Vet informed me that a uterine prolapse wouldn't happen because the weight of the kids in the uterus would not let it turn inside out. I did stall her with straw as it seemed to stick less and put her on 5 days of pen just in case. My vet charge was $85. for the farm call and procedure. I was able to snip it 3 days before she delivered which it was left in place for 2 weeks. I was also advised to not breed her again...duh...as it is very likely that she will prolapse again. She'll be a pet "hay burner" so I retained her look a like doeling.
    **** Tilly was also beginning to push out her rectum which forced me to call the vet****
     
  9. Fainters

    Fainters New Member

    100
    Oct 10, 2007
    Western KY
    When I got home from work, she was in early stages of labor. She delivered 2 huge bucklings around 8:00 and then I waited for the afterbirth until 10:00. Her uterus didn't prolapse and everyone is doing good. This is one of my best breeding does and this is her 4th time to kid. What are the chances that she might prolapse if bred again? I was going to retire her if I had gotten a doeling.

    http://www.freewebs.com/scapegoatranch/
     
  10. liz

    liz Active Member

    Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Considering that she didn't start the prolapse until 2 days ago, and it wasn't weeks ago, and if you feel that she is "safe" to go through another pregnancy then go for it, but be prepared to have a vet handy to stitch her "just in case".

    Also, I didn't know anything about prolapses until my Tilly and when I did have the vet out I was asking him lots of questions about this. His answers to me were very good to know. A uterus WILL NOT prolapse when there are full term kids holding it in place. Think of a plastic bag full of gravel and "tied" at the top with a rubber band, now try turning it inside out. Can't be done because no matter which way you try, the "cervix" is still closed. She was more than likely feeling the pressure of those 2 boys and was trying to hurry into labor by pushing, therefore causing swelling to the vaginal wall, which is what you were seeing.
    This was how my vet put it into laymens terms for me. But he also advised me to NOT breed her again because triplets just did not agree with her short barrel and I am just risking another prolapse, but I got what I wanted from her, a mini Tilly to carry on her mama's lines. This was Tilly's 4th also but her first triplets, 3 previous sets of twins, 7 does and 2 bucks total from her. She's done well and I hate to retire her as well as she's done plus she is an excellent milker even though I had to remedy her self nursing, but she is a pet first so she will stay that way for years to come.