My doe looks ready to go today. How early is too early?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by firelight27, Feb 24, 2011.

1. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    She is due March 1st-3rd. She has lost her ligs, her udder is tight and her belly has dropped. I'm pretty sure she is going to go today sometime. I have never had one go more than a few days early. She is a week, to a week and a couple of days early. Will her kids be premature, and what advice do you have for premature kids? I had twins last year that seemed a little premature to me (bought mom bred with no due date), and they ended up fine with some supportive care the first day. (Their teeth were not fully "in", so I suspected they were a little premature. And they were super tiny.)

For those kids I syringe fed colostrum all night, plus karo syrup and pedialyte now and again after bringing their temps up under a heating pad. They were able to stand, finally, by about 12 hours old.

2. firelight27

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    Ok, so looking at my calculator they would only be 5-7 days early. That makes me feel better. For some reason I was calculating them potentially being 10 days premature and that worried me much more.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    What day is she on? Kids are easily viable at 140.days

4. firelight27

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    She would be day 143-145. I miscalculated when I posted this, then re-looked at a calendar and calmed down. For some reason it seems like March should be further away still!

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well she seems perfectly on target :)

yeah march is just around the corner its crazy how fast February went!

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree... time flies... :wink:

And she is doing OK... :thumb:

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    So any kiddos? did I miss any announcements?