My doe won't finish her grain - why?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Zelda, May 17, 2009.

1. Zelda

Zelda New Member

May 2, 2009
    Rocky Mountains
    My milk doe won't always finish her grain. She's a large Nub/Swiss, and I give her a small coffee can 2x per day at milking. Before she kidded I was feeding her the same grain the previous owner fed, now she's on Goat Chow + COB.

Why would she not be finishing her grain? Do goats ever get ulcers?

She does have baking soda, mineral, and salt & free choice alfalfa hay.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I have the strangest goat (at least strange for me) she will not eat all her grain every morning. But when I decided to feed her tonight (dont usualy feed grain at night unless milking) and she ate all of it and then stoll someone elses! Crazy goats just like to keep us on our toes I guess.

As to your doe -- was so slowly changed over to your feed? Try seeing which she likes better the COB or the Chow - I do that by putting the two different kinds in her dish but on separate sides (not mixed or on top of) and you may find she doenst like one over the other.

3. Zelda

Zelda New Member

May 2, 2009
    Rocky Mountains
    The breeder gave me a hundred pound bag of her usual grain, so I mixed the new grain in gradually. But my goat didn't eat the breeders grain that well either. I think novelty is part of it. She waffles on whether the Chow or COB is better... I'd rather she eats more of the Chow because the protein level is 16%, but I don't think she likes the protein pellets in it.

The main problem is she is getting too thin... I just want her to eat up. I am going to offer her a little beet pulp, and the breeder said I could add a little bit of vegetable oil (I'll try corn).

According to what I've read, she could eat as much as 3# of grain per day because she's giving around 9# of milk... But she won't eat that much.

Wish I better knew what to do!

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Just a thought, try giving her some B complex, it stimulates the appetite and you can't over dose on it, she'll pee out the excess.

5. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

She could be just getting picky. Yes goats can get ulcers. Sometimes they do need a doseof clay every now and again. I usually give mine a little bit before we go to shows or if there is a vet apointment they get some. basically any stressful situation. be carful adding more corn to her diet. COB already has quite a bit. Too much corn can cause acidosis.
    beth

6. Zelda

Zelda New Member

May 2, 2009
    Rocky Mountains
    What does a 'dose of clay' do? I haven't heard of that.

I offered her some black oil sunflower seeds and she hoovered those down tonight, so that will be a good fat/protein source to add to her ration. Maybe cut the COB and add some BOSS and beet pulp?

7. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Clay is an awsome healing source both inside and outside the body. You can use it on wounds and for internal stuff.
    http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/clay.htm
    Thats a good website.
    A friend of mine can explain it so much better then i can. She does a lot of natural type adjustments for horses and people. There are atually pressure points on animals that you can tell what is wrong with them. She was demonstrating on a horse the other day. She pushed a spot gently on his belly, shee said it was somewhere near his intestines. He cow kicked at her. This particular spot was for worms, had a fecal done sure enough he had worms. Two weeks after he was treated she pushed the same spot, no kicking.
    There are spots for ulcers and other things too. This works in a lot of types of animals. She did my goats for me last summer. I dont know why i hadnt mentioned it before. ok im rambeling again...
    Anywho back to the clay...i took this from the website i put the link for
    Studies show that the use of volcanic ash clay internally goes back to the Indians of the high Andes mountains, tribes in Central Africa and the aborigines of Australia. Taken internally, it supports the intestinal system in the elimination of toxins. The application of clay has achieved miraculous healing of Buruli Ulcer - mycobacterium ulcerans which is similar to leprosy and tuberculosis mycobacterium or flesh eating disease.
    We use it mainly for ulcers in the horses.
    For the goats its just in stressful situations. It seems to work better then any sort of thing i have found i can get from a feed store. I have even used it to replace Vit b sometimes.
    Of course i could be way off here and your do may just be being picky about her dinner...
    beth

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yup the BOSS is great for helping put weight on as is alfafa hay. My non regular grain eating doe eats hay like no other! She loves loves loves her hay. I feed straight alfafa hay as that is what i can get and I realy like it for my pregnant does

9. Zelda

Zelda New Member

May 2, 2009
    Rocky Mountains
    Beth - interesting about clay. I have used aloe vera juice for stomach issues, and thought about trying that as well. I'll have to read up on the clay.

Stacy - we have alfalfa hay, too. A *really* nice batch of it... She eats a lot of hay. After her kid is weaned in June, I'm thinking about trying to partially dry her off. She's probably milking a gallon and a half a day between what we take and feeding her kid. If I could get her down to a gallon a day or a bit less, that might help. We don't need any more milk than we are getting.

I need to post in the dairy section about whether it is possible to do a partial dry off...

10. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

You can cut her back to one milking a day. A lot of does do well on that. And you wont get nearly the amounts of milk.
    beth

11. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Morning rations often go unfinished around here too. They're so excited to go out and find the fresh leaves or flower packs from the trees and want to beat the others to it. I don't worry about it so long as they're happy, healthy and sassy.