The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Newbie, Head over Heels in Love!
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LITERALLY!!!

I swear I tried to wait to post this tomorrow when I can get pix buy I'm dying!

I did a trade locally my 10 week old Saanen/Boer buckling for her 9 week old Mancha/nubian doeling. We met on Craigs, live an hour & a half apart....

I'm 99.9% sure the doeling my hubby picked up today is a hermie... I'll post pics tomorrow.

She has a large upturned tip (ball) on the bottom of her vagina opening. She has what seems to be a ball sack with teets hanging from the bottom of it!

I know its hard w/out pics but has anyone ever seen a sac & a vagina/vulva (whatever)

IF the lady I got her from offers to trade her out..... should I since all she has is her sister & brother? She is out of trips.....

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Wow, that's crazy. I have heard of it before

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Is she a reputable breeder? I hope she didn't purposely sell you a bum doe for your buckling. I cant wait to see pictures.

Side note: I really enjoy looking at your profile picture when it pops up! (Big fan here)

·
Member with a bahhh
2,472 Posts
That sucks. Hopefully you can do a trade and get a real doe. I've seen a hermie before but not one with visible testicles. Definitely post a picture I wanna see it.

·
I'm watching you
22,194 Posts
Yep, I.ve seen it twice. One Boer I saw had an enlarged primitive vagina and regular testes. Another, that I kept as a curiosity for a while, had a normal seeming vagina with a tiny penis in it. He was a perfect 2x2 and his testes were in the back 2 udder compartments.

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
Interesting. Sounds like a hermaphrodite...but not the usual looking hermaphrodite. I'm interested in seeing photos.

And yes, I would want to swap the kid for a new one if you were agreed a doeling in trade. Not sure if the breeder tried to scam you or what, but that seems like a pretty obvious defect if she was trading you a doe and handed you a hermaphrodite like that. :shrug: Hopefully she'll trade her out if you want.

·
1,524 Posts
I posted pictures on here of my doeling born last year who was a hermie. She had the odd vulva and a scotum with tiny teats. She was 1 of quads, 3 does, 1 buck. One normal doe, 1 hermie, 1 freemartin and the buck.

Your description was identical to my doe. As she got older and matured, her vulva would enlarge and get stiff when she was aorund the does who were in heat. She never came in heat but did go into rut.

I would demand a real doe, since this one will probably never be any good for anything but a pet or a heat detector.

This doe of yours, how are her teats? Really really tiny?

·
Registered
868 Posts
We bought a doe with a 2 day old doeling, and a few months later noticed she was a he... But not the kind of he/she problem you're having ): Sorry you have to go through this!

·
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is she a reputable breeder? "Breeder- No, but a very reputable "home steader." In my (very rural New Mexican) area she is one of the well respected live off the land people.
Neither of our kids are registered, my goats are a bit more spoiled & supplemented than hers but "word" is that her animals are well taken care of "the old school way"

I'll post a bunch of pics tomorrow, my camera died so I'm really hoping my kids cell does well, it should for what it cost :rolleyes:!!

Side note: I really enjoy looking at your profile picture when it pops up! (Big fan here)
I'm almost obsessed, changed my profile pics in honor of upcoming '50'

Another thing I noticed is how long 'her' hair is on her back legs & butt, not sure if its significant but its very long.

I've no clue what I'll do if she doesn't do a trade out, she's too thin to have butchered & hubby won't go along with a 'no purpose' goat adding to the feed bill. She's so darn cute with those mancha elf ears!!

·
I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
5,018 Posts
I hope she will replace her! If not, surely you can find somebody who will take her as a pet.

·
100 Posts
Was he/she from two polled parents? We have Boy George and King Latifa who are fully equipped and the result of polled to polled matings. I got them to feed out for a BBQ. Funny looking.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
I'm still interested in the photo. As well as anyone else who's experienced it, it would be nice to try and get photos since most of us haven't seen it. I would try and trade politely first, if no response I'd be a little more firm you gave her a good goat and got one that is worthless. If it still doesn't work I guess I'd weight out how much feed I'd have to put in for butcher weight vs just finding a pet home.

·
225 Posts
Would love to see those pictures, Where you able to post them?

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have a hermie goat I bought on purpose as a kid about 2 months old. She has a vulva, with a small bud at the base.

She also had 2 testes (balls) you could barely see just behind where her udder would be.

I took her to my vet, he took out the testes(balls) and let me watch the operation. Very interesting.

Of course, she cannot breed, but is a wonderful big girl and a great companion for my buck. She is very sweet natured but would have had mental problems if we had left the testes (balls) inside her, as she would have had both male and female hormones.

Talk about PMS!!

DonnaBelle

·
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I might be 'nuts'

Ok, I finally got hubby to use his cell for a couple pics, I said take 20.... He got 2! Can't wait till my camera is fixed!!

So, he says he thinks the "sac" is her udder..... She is an extremely scrawney 9 week old. Is that even possible??

Anyway, here are the pics I was able to get today, hopefully better ones to come....

Whatcha think? Am I nuts or does she have nuts??

Attachments

1 - 20 of 57 Posts