My first breach kid

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Steve, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Steve

Steve New Member

Mar 12, 2011
    Central Ky
    One of my does delivered a breached kid today,unfortunately he was DOA.
    His head and front legs were tucked under his belly and came out shoulders first.It must have broken his neck or cut off his blood flow.I helped her get him out,as much as i could,even tried turning him. Finally got a leg and pulled him on out.

As soon as he came out a second one was right behind him and almost fell out,the right way of course and was just fine.

This is my first breach delivery,out of 3 years of kiddings.My question is,will this doe continue to have breached kids or is it just bad luck?

I do not want to see her go through that again and would cull her if it is something that will continue to happen.

2. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I'm afraid it's just chance - I have a goat who has had one particularly difficult kidding and several normal ones. There is a train of thought that if complications arise, they could happen again - but i've never had that happen.

Breach is actually when the hind legs come out first - and is a fairly normal circumstance.

Looks like you were fairly unlucky though with such a tangled kid :(

LW

3. Steve

Steve New Member

Mar 12, 2011
    Central Ky
    I always thought hind legs first was a pretty normal birth,and breach was anything but normal.Usual feet first with the nose was best,then hind legs second best.

Well ill wait to hear more opinions before i get rid of her,she is a good doe and hate to see her go to market.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am so sorry for the loss... :(

The Doe may of just had... a bad birthing ....it may not ever happen again....but....you never know.... Kid positions ..are very unpredictable... any Doe can have an issue such as this.. :hug:

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Butt first is true breech..I've had does deliver kids butt first as well as hind legs first and they did well...I've had to reposition a back first kid with one of my does and thankfully, he and his sister and brother thrived, and mom went on to have 2 more easy normal deliveries after that. Really sounds like a "Dystocia"...which is a malpositioned kid, the head turned back and no feet forward, he could have been pushed back, head brough around and even one hoof brought up and out and he may have survived, chances of it happening again are "there" as in any birth but not likely.

6. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    I had a doe who delivered a kid hind-legs first last year and he was just fine. Sometimes they are DOA for various reasons. They could have gotten crowded inside so that their oxygen supply was cut off, the doe could have been rammed in late pregnancy and lost one, etc. It happens and it is hard to say what exactly went down.

7. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Yes I agree with everyone, it's not likely to happen again with that particular doe.
    When doa they are particularly hard to pull. Glad you got him out, sorry for the loss but you done great!

8. Steve

Steve New Member

Mar 12, 2011
    Central Ky
    Thanks for all the replies and comments.I thought it might be a freak thing but didnt know if others had does continue to have problems.

She is the low doe on the totem pole and does get beat around some,she is the first in commands daughter but gets it from her mom often.It is likely i guess it was already gone before delivery.
    I did try to push him back and turn him but it was too late and the doe was in alot of pain so i thought it best to get him out as fast as i could.

The one who survived is doing well though so i am thankful for that.

Thanks again everyone.