My first Kids! A few questions

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by SNKGoats, Mar 16, 2011.

1. SNKGoats

SNKGoats New Member

Aug 30, 2010
    I have a goat that just gave birth to a set of triplets (2 does and a buck). These are my first goat kids =)

These being my first “born here” babies (I raised their Daddy off a bottle from 4 days old, but he was born elsewhere), I want to make sure I do things right. Is there anything I need to give them to help them along? They are up, full of energy and nursing vigorously.

I have Luci on a good quality hay and free choice 10% sweet feed. Should I give her anything else? I have Goat Nutri Drench. It says on the bottle that it can be given after kidding so I think I’ll give her some of that in a little bit. She’s in a nice warm stall in the barn away from the others so they don’t bother her, with fresh straw and clean water.

Their Daddy was a triplet, which was why he ended up being a bottle baby. One of the babies is a little smaller than the others. Should I plan to pull and bottle feed her? Luci has a really, really big udder. Should I wait and see if she can feed all 3? Or would that be too stressful on her?

Thank you!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Welcome to TGS :wave:

As to mom just make sure she has plenty of water and hay at all times and then feed her some grain twice a day. Mine do like molasses water after kidding. It gives them energy and encourages them to drink.

As to the little one keep and eye out that he is eating and she is standing often enough so he gets a chance to eat. If the other two get to the teat all the time before him he may become weak and need extra attention. You can also offer a bottle of milk to him if he doesn't seem to be gaining like the other two.