The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Yak Lady
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, today I attended and had my buckling appraised at my first LA!

It was a huge learning experience, and though tough (rumored to be the toughest appraiser in the program?), I felt like I learned a lot from the Appraiser. He appraised Stachie's mom at an 88 (the highest he's ever given) and Stachie at only a "+" which is a young stock 80-84 depending... His breeder was there and she walked me out explaining again that he was really tough and not to worry.

Pecan (Mom) received a VEEE 90 last year.

I'm not too worried, and now I know what to look for in future purchases :)

I recommend at least attending an LA if you're new like me! It was very helpful and the people were really nice :)

·
Registered
335 Posts
congrats on the appraisals,, but what and where would another new person to the boer breed find one of these Linear Appraisals ??? I know from the people my goats came from that they are close to if not 100% boers, just didn't get papers. Would be interesting to get them looked at by an apprairer,, but where?? Would my local,,Farm Extention office be a good start??

·
Yak Lady
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This LA was through the ADGA. Which is only dairy goats... I'm not sure if the Boer associations do LA?

For this one, your goats had to be registered with the ADGA (and I would think they'd have to be with whatever sponsor group was hosting) and tattooed. Clipping was optional.

The FE Office would be a great place to ask... or maybe post your own topic here, or in the Meat section asking the Boer people :) I'm not sure there's an equivalent, but maybe!

And even if yours aren't registered, maybe you could find an appraiser just to come out privately for a fee... One can hope!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Thank you for the reply and I am going to do that with the appraiser, ,,some of the registered boer breeders in the area might also be a good place to start,,, Thanks again and I did get my pictures up,, Ooops,,, :oops:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts