The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is how my herd is beginning. We're calling them Obe-pine-burgs.
Yearling - "Mama Bows" is the first photo and Doeling - "Lacey" in the second.

Fully registered mix breeds. I thought I wanted purebreds but these 2 fell into my lap and I took them. Healthy, tested, registered, show stock and in milk....Which has been difficult to find around here. I can always breed up to pure with 2 breeding years which is what I'll try to do.

They came from a large herd and since they weren't being actively milked yet, they're not super friendly. We're working on it.

I think they're not happy with the feed. They had a special mix at their last home and this morning they left the grain to go outside to graze. Time to head back to the feed store and choose something new.

Attachments

·
Registered
693 Posts
This is how my herd is beginning. We're calling them Obe-pine-burgs.
Love it! Hopefully they'll be awesome milkers for you! I've got one I'm trying to
"friendly up" right now to. And another that doesn't care for our choice of grain. I think animal crackers is the key to both of these issues. :D

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pretty girls! Congrats! Unlike what you hear, goats are actually picky eaters.
Thank you :) Their last home had specially mixed grains. They ate the grain for the first couple of days and now they seem to be over it. heh. Even Molasses isn't enough to make them love the plain grain. I will shop tonight and if that fails, I'll beg for their recipe.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Love it! Hopefully they'll be awesome milkers for you! I've got one I'm trying to
"friendly up" right now to. And another that doesn't care for our choice of grain. I think animal crackers is the key to both of these issues. :D
Thank you!
We've been using raisins for the friendly upping. Mama Bow is giving me kisses for raisins. She was handled some at shows last year so she's easier.

I wonder if you crumbled animal crackers into the grain if that would help. heh. I'm afraid the raisins would be too easy for my finicky girls to pick out. Maybe I need to pick up some animal crackers tonight when I get a new bag of grain. ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts