My first "oops" breeding.

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Epona142, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    :oops:

I've been moving goats around between pens while I was working on some fencing to separate the chickens from the goats. Well it was late last night, and while I still needed to move Buckly out of the pens, I convinced myself that placing him in the dog kennel in the big pen (I use it when I need to isolate a goat for any reason) would be okay for tonight.

I come out this morning, and there he is, breeding Honey. :angry:

Butthead must have managed to lift the latch with his big horns. I didn't want Honey bred right now, but she's in good shape and I suppose she'll be okay. Taught me a good lesson, too.

Buckly's now back in the buck pen where he belongs, the turd. Guess I'd better go put the date in the calculator, eh?

If she took, due date is 7/14/9. She'd better be tame by then, or I'll have to pull her babies. She hasn't really warmed up to me like Rudy has, and Sugar now a little bit.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Honey is your doe you are milking? Well if she settles you will want to dry her off in her 3rd month.

it isnt the best that he bred her -- but at least you witnessed it so you have a date

3. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Yes she is in milk, and yup I've written down when to dry her off. I'm not too pleased but she's a good sturdy doe and in good health so hopefully all will go okay.

Maybe I'll get lucky and she didn't take.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    haha, and the goat math continues :wink:

5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    It's ok, i've had my fair share of "oops" breedings. :oops: Sounds like she's a pretty strong, healthy doe so she should be able to carry them just fine.

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Oh I had a heck of MULITPLE oops breedings last year.

We went to town and I had the bucks on one side of the fence and newly freshened does on the other - well they got up on the manure pile, up on to the roof, broke through the chicken wire, jumped down almost 7 feet and bred all my girls (didn't know about Lute at the time).

So 5 months later a couple girls were kidding again - :hair: :hair: