The Goat Spot Forum banner
481 - 500 of 526 Posts

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
I was interested in the conversation about pasture vs browsing goats.
Our goats mostly have pasture.
When my son bought his farm in the mountains we sent some goats up there thinking they would love it. They didn't! Some got used to it and some had to be sold. Poor Star was terrified of the wild.
Then, years later, when most of his goats had been born there; we brought home 2 wethers for meat. They absolutely did not look on weeds as food. "Mama never taught us to eat THAT!"
We had a time just getting them to eat mulberry leaves which are generally a favorite.
Silly creatures goats.🌿🐐🌲

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #483 ·
When I first got the goats, they preferred pasture. I had to hangout in the wooded areas to encourage them to start nibbling. It took months but now it’s their preference. Champ took to it a lot quicker, I think because the other goats showed him.

Actually, today the goats volunteered to help me look for my hen that was in the woods. I’m sure they had no ulterior motives.

Plant Plant community Branch Terrestrial plant Vegetation

Plant Plant community Tree Natural landscape Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
The Monkhood
3,487 Posts
I had to hangout in the wooded areas to encourage them to start nibbling. It took months but now it’s their preference. Champ took to it a lot quicker, I think because the other goats showed him.
You're exactly correct. With goats, it's monkey see, monkey do. When they are weanlings outside of a herd with adult goats present, us humans sometimes have to show and teach them about eating new things. Your older girls are showing Champ some of the ropes. That's great, though letting the inner goat lose isn't so bad either.

Speaking of getting your goat on, mine are beginning to eat grass. Yippie, my sections can last a week longer now.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #486 ·
You're exactly correct. With goats, it's monkey see, monkey do. When they are weanlings outside of a herd with adult goats present, us humans sometimes have to show and teach them about eating new things. Your older girls are showing Champ some of the ropes. That's great, though letting the inner goat lose isn't so bad either.

Speaking of getting your goat on, mine are beginning to eat grass. Yippie, my sections can last a week longer now.
Yay, that’s awesome! So I kept thinking my girls weren’t eating any pasture, but they do eat the grass as well as the yummy stuff in the woods. It’s just really big and they’re really not big, so I can’t tell when they’ve grazed it. If they could just do it shoulder to shoulder and in nice back and forth lines, that’d be great. I’m sure if I sectioned it off, they’d finally eat it down. I told my husband we need about 20 more goats. He thought we could just keep mowing and brush hogging instead. I’ve wanted to do rotational grazing because it’s good for them and the land. I likely will in the future. For now, they have the run of the place and more to eat than they can handle. And with how fast things grow in the spring here, even if I did rotational grazing, they couldn’t keep up. I’m sure you know how that goes.

Wow, look at all that delicious green!!!
I am amazed the turkeys go in the bush like that. I hope you found the hen!
The turkeys love the brush and thick undergrowth. The thicker the better for them. They forage it and my hen is trying to nest in it again. Poor girl wants to go broody so badly, just not where I want her to go broody.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #494 ·
Whoa! That would startle me too, haha. And I keep snakes! But that’s not the same as running into one in the grass lol. How long do you think it was?

That’s kind of a pretty pattern on the side of him.
It is a neat looking pattern. It wasn’t huge. Maybe a little over three feet long. I didn’t get the greatest pic because my dogs were just a few paces behind me. I yelled “stay” and they miraculously did (they’re not that well trained, ). I didn’t want them to mess with the snake, both for the sake of the snake and so they don’t think all snakes are ok to mess with. We have four venomous types out here.

What kind of snakes do you keep?

Is this one of the good snakes that will kill venomous snakes?
It might be. My identification skill is still a work in progress. If it’s an eastern black king snake, then yes, it eats the snakes I really don’t want to encounter. But it might also be either a rat snake or a racer and, either way, is not harmful to us.

·
Registered
*Gotta love ‘em kids!*
2,220 Posts
I feel like black snakes are good for two things-killing other snakes and giving out free heart attacks! At least, that’s how it’s been in my case

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #498 ·
I feel like black snakes are good for two things-killing other snakes and giving out free heart attacks! At least, that’s how it’s been in my case
Lol. Yes. This is exactly right.

We have ball pythons! They’re pretty cool. They have about a billion different color and pattern varieties, so we’re excited to do some breeding in the future.

View attachment 229235

Here’s my little girl Pikabu out for some adventuring in the grass.
She’s really neat looking. The stripe right across they eye and the little smoke-ring looking circles down the body are so awesome!

Yep, that's a lovely rat aka black snake.
Good eye. It’s technically an eastern black king snake but around here ‘black snake’ encompasses both the rat and king because they’re basically identical and the terms are used interchangeably. I had to ask some experts what it was. Only those who know a lot more than I do can separately identify the near twins, which is why they are generally just referred to as a black snake and not even differentiated. Maybe it’s how non-goat people feel looking at NDs and pygmy goats. I am more than happy to have this guy hanging around as long as he leaves my little poults alone.

·
Registered
The Monkhood
3,487 Posts
It’s technically an eastern black king snake
Wow, that's really cool that he is a king snake in hiding. Will do some research about the differences and visual clues between the two species. Could be a possibility they may live in central NC also. Learn all sorts of interesting subjects on TGS, that's for sure.

481 - 500 of 526 Posts