The Goat Spot Forum banner
501 - 520 of 526 Posts

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
I’ve been trying to learn a lot more about snakes and quickly realized this is one of the non venomous ones.
Good for you!!!
Snakes are very important to our farms.
Although the gopher snakes around here will eat baby chicks so we have to watch out when there are little ones afoot.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #505 ·
Everyone is very excited that there’s a new guy in town. Meet Briar. Champ is amazing with him. Briar can be sort of a pest and sometimes I think Champ is too gentle with him and needs to put him in his place, but I’d rather that than too rough. Champ is trying to teach him to headbutt and will rear up then gently press his head to Briar’s. I had never witnessed this so it was very sweet to see. Briar was terrified last night, slept right by Champ and didn’t want us anywhere near him. And now he is already walking up to me to be pet on occasion. Again, I have Champ to thank for that because he is almost overly affectionate and Briar bonded to him immediately and wants to do whatever Champ does, and that has significantly sped up the process to trust me.
Eye Goat Working animal Plant Ear

Plant Tree Working animal Grass Fawn

Vertebrate Plant Mammal Grass Goat

Vertebrate Mammal Plant Grass Fawn

·
Registered
The Monkhood
3,487 Posts
Hello Briar, welcome to The Goat Spot and a slew of human admirers. It's awesome news that Champ has taken Briar under his wing. And you're correct in your observation the older male will help guide the younger male in how things are going to be in his new home. The gentle head touches you were able to witness sort of means they are like unrelated brothers now. The doelings seem very interested in the newest addition as well and hopefully it will be story time again when the doelings and newest buckling meet face to face.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #512 ·
Aww! He’s so handsome! And that’s great Champ is doing so well with Briar! How sweet! So will Briar have a buck apron too? Or is it from now on the boys and together, and the girls are together?
Eventually, it’ll probably be boys in one section, girls in another but we have some more fencing to do. The boys’ pen is only around a quarter of an acre, so I feel a bit bad for them. In a few days (if none of the does are in heat), I’ll put aprons on them both and let them out for a while when I’m around to supervise. So a little of both for now, but hopefully kept separate for the most part in a few months when we get cross fencing put in.
What a cutie pie!
Aw thanks.

Briar is very striking. Its wondeeful when they bond. So happy it worked out.
Thank you. Me too. I was so worried they wouldn’t get along and I’d be scrambling to find a solution.

He is so handsome! Congratulations! How wonderful that Champ is being so sweet with him! Those blue eyes, so beautiful!
Thank you! He might have a little attitude to go with those blue eyes. I can’t tell yet, but he seems a bit spunky.

He's a cutie! I'm glad Champ now has a boy buddy to hang out with, and that he's being so nice. I love the shot of the girls all lined up at the fence to meet the new guy.
They are a funny welcoming committee. The dogs are the most enamored with him but even the turkeys wanted to meet him. The turkeys are the only animal he’s scared of.

Hello Briar, welcome to The Goat Spot and a slew of human admirers. It's awesome news that Champ has taken Briar under his wing. And you're correct in your observation the older male will help guide the younger male in how things are going to be in his new home. The gentle head touches you were able to witness sort of means they are like unrelated brothers now. The doelings seem very interested in the newest addition as well and hopefully it will be story time again when the doelings and newest buckling meet face to face.
I love that. Thank you for explaining that to me. I knew it was sweet but didn’t really know what it meant.
My girls seem mildly curious about the new goat and don’t want to stray too far from the pen, but I’m not sure if it’s because the dog is attempting to stay close by and they like to be near him, or if they want to be with the new goat, or if they want to be near Champ. Maybe it’s a mixture of all that. And I’m spending a lot of time in the pen too. So they likely want to hang out near me as well.

·
Registered
Breeding Quality Nigerian Dwarf Goats
2,656 Posts
Aww, I was just thinking about Briar today and if you have brought him home yet. 😊 He's such a handsome boy and I'm very glad to hear that Champ is being gentle with him. I can not wait to see the kids you get from your beautiful herd!!

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
What a wonderful start of Champ and Briar’s relationship! That is the best outcome!!
I am very impressed with Champ. You really lucked out with him, being so gentle with a little buckling.
It seems like your animal family all is excited and looking forward to adventures with another member. Even turkeys! Amazing. 🥰
And Briar is so handsome. I am glad he is warming up to you so quickly.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #518 ·
@FizzyGoats, I get the impression all of the critters at your place have formed this multi species tribe amongst themselves and you.
I lucked out with a great group, for sure. We do have our multi species barnyard brawls where they’re all upset with each other and speaking different languages, and that’s a crazy kind of chaos. But we can usually get it all worked out without too many timeouts and hurt feelings.

NigerianNewbie, @FizzyGoats place there are fantastical creatures that defy the laws of inter relations. I wish it weŕe like that every where and amongst humans too.
Animals never cease to amaze me. Growing up, I had a huge dog and tiny, deaf bird that were best friends.

Aww, I was just thinking about Briar today and if you have brought him home yet. He's such a handsome boy and I'm very glad to hear that Champ is being gentle with him. I can not wait to see the kids you get from your beautiful herd!!
Aw, you were thinking of us. That’s sweet. I can’t wait to see what we’ll get either. When we picked up Briar, there was a tiny baby there, a few weeks old. Suddenly, my husband can’t wait to breed the goats and have those tiny things bounding around here.

What a handsome little guy! To me, Champ is teaching Briar how to be a gentleman. Pose for the ladies, so they will swoon. Caught the Turkeys attention! And always LOOK GOOD!
He’s teaching him the moves. The important stuff.

What a wonderful start of Champ and Briar’s relationship! That is the best outcome!!
I am very impressed with Champ. You really lucked out with him, being so gentle with a little buckling.
It seems like your animal family all is excited and looking forward to adventures with another member. Even turkeys! Amazing.
And Briar is so handsome. I am glad he is warming up to you so quickly.
I’m so relieved. You know how worried I was about this and how much I fretted over the decision to get Briar, and so to have it going smoothly makes it feel like I can breathe again. Thanks for talking me down repeatedly.

501 - 520 of 526 Posts