The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine just got a bottle baby and it now has scours. She is 8 weeks old and they are taking her off the bottle in a week (I’d prefer to wait until 10 or 12 weeks myself). She stopped eating today and they are asking me for advise. I told them to take a fecal to the vet and see if she has coccidia. I also asked if she has had any vaccines and they didn’t know. They are keeping her with their other goats which are not dewormed or vaccinated. They’ve also had problems with the older goats trying to head but her. I’m not sure if they’re going to even take my advise or not. They’re not big on vet visits and seems to think that she’ll be ok over time. I’m trying to push getting a fecal done but I don’t think they’ll do it. I don’t know what else to tell them. Is there something else I could tell them to do?
Thanks in advance!
 

·
Registered
Registered Boer goat farm consist of 10 Boer breeding does and 2 bucks
Joined
·
445 Posts
A friend of mine just got a bottle baby and it now has scours. She is 8 weeks old and they are taking her off the bottle in a week (I'd prefer to wait until 10 or 12 weeks myself). She stopped eating today and they are asking me for advise. I told them to take a fecal to the vet and see if she has coccidia. I also asked if she has had any vaccines and they didn't know. They are keeping her with their other goats which are not dewormed or vaccinated. They've also had problems with the older goats trying to head but her. I'm not sure if they're going to even take my advise or not. They're not big on vet visits and seems to think that she'll be ok over time. I'm trying to push getting a fecal done but I don't think they'll do it. I don't know what else to tell them. Is there something else I could tell them to do?
Thanks in advance!
We like to use scourguard and have a bottle filled with elyktro lytes and probios to help bounce them back after that we get that a lot with bottle babies and also make sure they check her famacha score
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
84,552 Posts
Fecal would be wise.
Otherwise, with stubborn people, if they will not get it done, I would treat for cocci and normal worm types.
Unless they are seeing tapeworm segments in the stool, they need a different wormer type to treat those.

I also do not recommend weaning this early. 2.5 mo is earliest.

What kind of milk and how much, how often, are they feeding it?

Getting a temp in case.

Check inner lower eyelid coloring.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok they are thinking about taking her to the vet tomorrow. I told them to feed her milk at least until she is 10 weeks. They are feeding whole cows milk with buttermilk and evaporated milk mixed in. This is what the breeder told them to feed. They were feeding her twice a day until she got sick. Now she won’t take the bottle at all and they’re not trying to get her to take it.
They are going to get her some probiotics and some electrolytes.
They checked her temp and it was 104.
And they said her eyelids are a little pale pink.
They gave a bunch of oak and hickory branches to their goats the day she arrived. I know oak is poisonous so I think she might’ve ate some and upset her stomach.
 

·
Member
Joined
·
8,359 Posts
Just give the kid warm cows milk. They don't need all the buttermilk etc. And separate the one headbutting. A fever means infection. They will lose the kid if they don't act quickly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just give the kid warm cows milk. They don't need all the buttermilk etc. And separate the one headbutting. A fever means infection. They will lose the kid if they don't act quickly.
Ok so what do I tell them to do? The baby will not eat or drink and I'm am very worried about her.
 

·
Fair-Haven
Joined
·
4,819 Posts
Ok so what do I tell them to do? The baby will not eat or drink and I'm am very worried about her.
So she may have anything from cocci to pneumonia. They should take her to the vet! Get her temp down with banamine. Separate from the bullies . If they don't want to manage their goats in a responsible manner then sell them all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok I just talked to them. The kid’s temp has climbed to 104.2. They are flushing her with homemade electrolytes. They can’t take her to the vet until tomorrow. They don’t have any banamine, and the only way to get it is to order it around here. They did separate her from the others. I’m praying she’ll make it through the night.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,617 Posts
Have they tried givong her a teaspoon of baking soda with a little condense milk? They can even grind up a little garlic and add to her bottle? If they have some antibiotic they could give that to her. Just to keep her through. Baby asprin for the fever?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have they tried givong her a teaspoon of baking soda with a little condense milk? They can even grind up a little garlic and add to her bottle? If they have some antibiotic they could give that to her. Just to keep her through. Baby asprin for the fever?
Thank you! They are giving her homemade electrolytes that has baking soda, honey, and something else. I told them about the baby aspirin and they are giving it to her.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update:
They took her to the vet and had a fecal done. Very heavy coccidia load. They are getting her treated and cleaning out her pen. Thank you all for your advice!! I warned them to always ask for a fecal when they buy new goats, especially bottle babies.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I hate to report some bad news but my friends goat has passed away. She was doing great until this morning she refused her bottle and wouldn’t eat or drink. Her diarrhea started again and they noticed that flys had accumulated on her back end. They took her temp and it was 97.2. They rushed her to the vet clinic and the vet put her on an IV. She only lived 2 more hours.
They noticed when they bought this goat that there was another goat in the pen with her that had diarrhea. They asked the breeder about it and he said that it had ate something that didn’t agree with its stomach. Then their goat got it. Now one of their older does has gotten it too. They are separating her and taking a fecal of all their goats to the vet tomorrow. I don’t know what they brought into their herd but whatever it is is deadly. Has anyone herd of this sickness before? I am very worried about this thing because I only live a few miles down the road and do not want it to get over here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,681 Posts
It could be a coccidiosis issue at that breeder’s farm. If a young kid has an extremely high count of coccidia long enough, there can be irreparable damage to their organs.

If your friend doesn’t do fecals, then they could have worm issues that are unrelated to this new kid they recently bought. There’s no telling, sadly.

Definitely have them check temps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok I will definitely make sure that they are checking temps. Also I forgot to say that the doeling developed some sort of sores all over her back. Flys started to get into the sores and laying eggs. They were cleaning out the sores but they never seemed to get better. Their older doe is now developing the sores too.
The scours was a light brown sometimes dark yellow color.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top