The Goat Spot Forum banner

My friend’s doeling has scours

2K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  toth boer goats 
#1 ·
A friend of mine just got a bottle baby and it now has scours. She is 8 weeks old and they are taking her off the bottle in a week (I’d prefer to wait until 10 or 12 weeks myself). She stopped eating today and they are asking me for advise. I told them to take a fecal to the vet and see if she has coccidia. I also asked if she has had any vaccines and they didn’t know. They are keeping her with their other goats which are not dewormed or vaccinated. They’ve also had problems with the older goats trying to head but her. I’m not sure if they’re going to even take my advise or not. They’re not big on vet visits and seems to think that she’ll be ok over time. I’m trying to push getting a fecal done but I don’t think they’ll do it. I don’t know what else to tell them. Is there something else I could tell them to do?
Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
A friend of mine just got a bottle baby and it now has scours. She is 8 weeks old and they are taking her off the bottle in a week (I'd prefer to wait until 10 or 12 weeks myself). She stopped eating today and they are asking me for advise. I told them to take a fecal to the vet and see if she has coccidia. I also asked if she has had any vaccines and they didn't know. They are keeping her with their other goats which are not dewormed or vaccinated. They've also had problems with the older goats trying to head but her. I'm not sure if they're going to even take my advise or not. They're not big on vet visits and seems to think that she'll be ok over time. I'm trying to push getting a fecal done but I don't think they'll do it. I don't know what else to tell them. Is there something else I could tell them to do?
Thanks in advance!
We like to use scourguard and have a bottle filled with elyktro lytes and probios to help bounce them back after that we get that a lot with bottle babies and also make sure they check her famacha score

#3 ·
Fecal would be wise.
Otherwise, with stubborn people, if they will not get it done, I would treat for cocci and normal worm types.
Unless they are seeing tapeworm segments in the stool, they need a different wormer type to treat those.

I also do not recommend weaning this early. 2.5 mo is earliest.

What kind of milk and how much, how often, are they feeding it?

Getting a temp in case.

Check inner lower eyelid coloring.

#4 ·
Ok they are thinking about taking her to the vet tomorrow. I told them to feed her milk at least until she is 10 weeks. They are feeding whole cows milk with buttermilk and evaporated milk mixed in. This is what the breeder told them to feed. They were feeding her twice a day until she got sick. Now she won’t take the bottle at all and they’re not trying to get her to take it.
They are going to get her some probiotics and some electrolytes.
They checked her temp and it was 104.
And they said her eyelids are a little pale pink.
They gave a bunch of oak and hickory branches to their goats the day she arrived. I know oak is poisonous so I think she might’ve ate some and upset her stomach.

#8 ·
Ok I just talked to them. The kid’s temp has climbed to 104.2. They are flushing her with homemade electrolytes. They can’t take her to the vet until tomorrow. They don’t have any banamine, and the only way to get it is to order it around here. They did separate her from the others. I’m praying she’ll make it through the night.

#9 ·
Have they tried givong her a teaspoon of baking soda with a little condense milk? They can even grind up a little garlic and add to her bottle? If they have some antibiotic they could give that to her. Just to keep her through. Baby asprin for the fever?

#16 ·
Well I hate to report some bad news but my friends goat has passed away. She was doing great until this morning she refused her bottle and wouldn’t eat or drink. Her diarrhea started again and they noticed that flys had accumulated on her back end. They took her temp and it was 97.2. They rushed her to the vet clinic and the vet put her on an IV. She only lived 2 more hours.
They noticed when they bought this goat that there was another goat in the pen with her that had diarrhea. They asked the breeder about it and he said that it had ate something that didn’t agree with its stomach. Then their goat got it. Now one of their older does has gotten it too. They are separating her and taking a fecal of all their goats to the vet tomorrow. I don’t know what they brought into their herd but whatever it is is deadly. Has anyone herd of this sickness before? I am very worried about this thing because I only live a few miles down the road and do not want it to get over here.

#19 ·
It could be a coccidiosis issue at that breeder’s farm. If a young kid has an extremely high count of coccidia long enough, there can be irreparable damage to their organs.

If your friend doesn’t do fecals, then they could have worm issues that are unrelated to this new kid they recently bought. There’s no telling, sadly.

Definitely have them check temps.

#20 ·
Ok I will definitely make sure that they are checking temps. Also I forgot to say that the doeling developed some sort of sores all over her back. Flys started to get into the sores and laying eggs. They were cleaning out the sores but they never seemed to get better. Their older doe is now developing the sores too.
The scours was a light brown sometimes dark yellow color.

#22 ·
Sorry to hear the baby died. Make sure you wash up really well before you go onto your property (from their place where the baby died) and either change your footwear or sanitize your shoes before going into your barn. (should do this anyway after visiting someone else's facility, no matter who or where).

#23 ·
Thank you. I haven’t been on their place yet just talking to them over the phone. They had fecals done for all their goats, their other kids all had a small case of coccidia. Their older goats were all worm free. Even the one that is showing signs of whatever it is. She has minimal scours (not watery but not normal either) but is starting to have the sores too.

#25 ·
Sounds like cocci issue.
Glad they are being treated and cleaning up things.

They may have to do a cocci prevention every 21 days.

For the ones scouring even with cocci treatment, give pig scour guard, double the dosage it states on the bottle, then follow instructions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.