My friends doe kidded

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by RunAround, Jan 20, 2009.

1. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    My friends doe kidded on Sunday and I got to see the kids yesterday when i went to pick up Charity.

Anyways, she had two girls and a boy. The boy came out first and presented with a tail so she had to help a bit. The doe passed the placenta so she figured she was done. But the doe kept straining, so later that day she went in and pulled out two dead kids. She did put her on pen G.

But when I went out to see her the doe still didn't look right to me. She still seemed in pain and laid down A LOT. The kids all look good and she is very attentive with them. My friend and I got her up on the milking stand and milked her a bit. Also the does discharge doesn't look quite right. It's like watery greyish/brown-red colored.

Do you think she could still have dead kids in there? Should there have been another placenta after the dead kids? She is going to call her vet but I was wondering if anyone had experienced this before.

Here are some kid pics since they are soooo cute!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

Is that Claire that kidded?
    I had my eye on her, then she wanted to keep her until she kidded, and I kind of "forgot" about her :oops:

Wow- quints!
    Definately something doesnt sound right there and I would talk to a vet quickly.

The watery greyish discharge is what doesnt sound right to me. Does she have a temp? Is she eating/drinking?

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I don't think she has taken her temp yet. But she is eating ok.

Maybe I'm crazy, but something dosen't feel "right" with her to me.

My friend is picking up her new puppy today and then I think she is going to call the vet.

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    When you pulled out the two, are you sure there was not any more?

I would offer her some calcium right away. If she does not have any they I would crush up human calcium pills and offer them to her.

She needs to get a temp, the Penn might help but i would sure get a hold of the vet before to long. I would do that before the dog.

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Those babies are adorable. How on earth are you able to get such good pictures of them? Mine are all over the place and I can not get them to stop for a second to get a picture, and when they do stop they are in the sun so it is a bad picture. :shrug:

6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    She said she felt around and didn't feel anything else... but in my experience with Dawn they can hide.

She gives all her does the cmpk before and after kidding.

The dog is being flown by plane in, so she needs to get him.

As for the pictures... it's my little secret. :ROFL:

Really, it's just patience and lots and lots of pictures.

7. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Oh my goodness that last kid is soooo cute!

It is possible that there is retained kid or placenta. Or, that there is a tear in the uterus.

I agree, it doesnt sound right.

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    retained placenta would be my guess. But because the kids were dead she could have the weird discharge just for that reason.

9. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Well I wasn't sure if there was supposed to be another placenta since she had more kids after she passed the first one. :shrug:

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh my...how adorable is that..... :)

11. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Oh how cute...what darling kids. Haven't had any experience with that though. Sounds like something definately isn't right. Keep us posted.

12. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Cute kids! It could be that the two dead ones had been dead for awhile making her fluids an odd color. I havea friend whos doe i pulled one live doe kid from last year. kept bouncing to doe and something just didnt feel right. Went in again and pulled out a dead buck kid. The kid was very under developed. And the fluids that came out the next few days were ver odd in color and smell. they were a watrery reddish brown. you said she is on antibiotics, but it probably woudnt hurt to have her flushed, and a et out to make sure everything is in working order.
    beth