The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So not a proper name BUT I had a lovely old feral NZ goat who had twins to a Nubian Buck (before she passed away). I called the twins fubians (feral nubian cross) - Anyway, the doe kid has just given birth to a lovely nubian looking girl (nubian dad). In a STORM no less. I thought the little kidding stall thing might fly away. I have named her STORMY and here is a pic :)

First pic is Stormy - born tonight (3/4 nubian)
Second pic (her grandmother Aquilla- NZ Feral goat 0h how I miss her)
Third pic is Aquilla's twins half nubian when they were kids - the one on the right is the mother of Stormy

Kinda cool huh.
Quilla (Aquilla;s daughter) is being a wonderful mum :)

Attachments

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In New Zealand we have loads of feral goats that just roam the country roads so people often have them as pets :0 They are all different colours etc.

Here is another pic of the fubians nubians girl Stormy. Terrible quality photo as taken with old cell phone :) Will also attach pic of her dad :)

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
In New Zealand we have loads of feral goats that just roam the country roads so people often have them as pets :0 They are all different colours etc.

Here is another pic of the fubians nubians girl Stormy. Terrible quality photo as taken with old cell phone :) Will also attach pic of her dad :)
The title of this thread absolutely cracked me up. :D Did you pull the kids off the feral doe at an early age to tame them down?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
haha :)

Doesn't take much to tame a goat...just a piece of bread or two!!! Was very sad though - my old Feral goat died a day or two after giving birth. So I bottle fed them. They still go and sit on her grave (must know) and she dug out a cave thing (typical feral thing to do), and the Fubians go and hang out in it all the time - oh so special! I guess our feral goats are just a little bit bigger than the dwarf varieties? but smaller than a boer. (we don't have dwarf or pygmy goats in NZ, so our ferals are it!). I think Boer's were created by a mix of wild / feral and nubian originally? I think I read that somewhere but maybe wrong?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is a pic of the Fubians when they were a bit younger...playing in the cave thing their mum made (also a pic of their mum - feral in the cave thing she made :)

Attachments

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For all you non new zealanders - here is a bit of info re the NZ feral goat (they are just domesticated goats gone into the wild and breed like crazy - they are descendents from basically all breeds but are now generally small due probably to inbreeding). The Arapawa goat from NZ (which is in America?) is a form of feral goat. Anyways in NZ we have loads! They hang out on sides of the road and are dangerous for traffic. CHeck out this sign! It is true! They d big aerial shoots to try and cull lots of the goats. We also have hunters that kill goats and the kids are left orphaned and often end up adopted. Anyway, here's some pics - there are some gorgeous feral goats - all quite different looking - but I couldn't find any good pics. They are also incredibly hardy! Sometimes you drive and you might see one or two on the road - other times 50! on an hour or two trip !

Attachments

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
some more pics of my tiny doe kid.....she is the tiniest doe kid I have had but so healthy - runs around like a little rabbit!

Attachments

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
I love her coloration. So many colors on that girl. Congrats and I bet with the feral goat mixed in she will be more hardy.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Am hoping she will be :) It is hard to tell from the photo but she is sooooo tiny. Can hold in one hand - but with really long legs. Anyway as small as she is - she motors around like a greyhound! So looking hardy so far! Just hope no hawke gets her! Sweetest nature too, she was inside with a friend last night...we got talking and it was hours and she just slept in her nap - no noise. If that was my other kids they would be squeeling for mum!

·
Look for me in the barn...
1,074 Posts
So sweet!

Haha I love that Beware of Goats sign. :)

·
Boer Lover 4 Life!
2,991 Posts
I'm sort of glad I don't live in NZ. I just got my driving permit over the summer, so I would be driving off the edge of the road staring at the goats! lol!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Wow that sounds heavenly to have so many goats available to you,for free and hardy too-- great story-- you could do a childrens book with photos "my nubian fubian" lovely goats!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts