My future Buck,,hopefully

Discussion in 'Meat Market' started by AlaskaBoers, Aug 24, 2008.

1. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    A friend of mine is purchasing a trailor , flying down to OR and filling it with stock for the breeders here and driving it up! (what an adventure) anyway i've been talking with breeders about buying a buck and an unrealted doeling. the buck is Moonshine from Rowena Creek Ranch, They are so nice, they offered him to me for $400 because im in ak and shipping would be bad. so what do you all think,

DOB 1-23-08. Fullblood.

[​IMG]

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    here is the dam ,

[​IMG]

And the sire,

[​IMG]

3. Ivy

Ivy New Member

Aug 9, 2008
    Midwest
    Omg, that sire!!
    I'll come back after I am done drooling.

What gorgeous Boers!

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    lo, i know, look at that butt! :shocked: lol!!!

5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
  6. Ivy

Ivy New Member

Aug 9, 2008
    Midwest
    Ham, goat style!!!!! :leap:

7. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    that buck is a steal.. really

he's got that look at me factor and that nice thickness!

8. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    You'll be purchasing this buck without seeing it in person, correct? If so I'd be very careful before buying this animal. He (and his sire) does have a decent rump. He's a nice upfronted buck, with substantial bone, length and a nice head to him. However his stance is with his feet rather close together, leaving me to believe he's on the narrow side and may not have the best topline. More pictures of his in a more "show stance" with rear and fore shots would clear this up. Especially since you are looking so far away for a buck and will be shipping, you should strive for the best you can get.

Does this breeder show? If so check their show record as well.

9. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yes the breeder shows, i saw pictures of him as a kid, but they took them off ther site when they updated. here is his brother -sold -
    [attachment=0:li5omb6w]Shooter5-26-08.jpg[/attachment:li5omb6w]

the caption says he is almost identical build to his brother execpt deeper. - he looks wide to me, i should ask for more pics,, and maybe a video

Attached Files:

10. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    I had looked at the picture of his brother on their site. He's certainly decent but I wouldn't take their word on their similar build, especially since the brother is the superior one in their opinion. More pictures are a must and a video would certainly help your decision as well.

11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh and I think that badnewsboers brings up some good points but pictures are deceiving sometimes and I think that your best bet would be to talk to the breeder about his potential and not go by what is said on a forum about what is seen in a picture. The breeder is hands on with the goats and will be honest with you about his potential.

12. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I would ask for a picture diectly from the side and the front and back. Also it depends on whether you intend to show him. If you do, you have to be much, much more particular about his confirmation than if he is production. $400 spent, while it may be a bargain, is wasted if her is not what you want.
    You can't count on the pictures of the siblings to make that determination. For instance my two doelings this year were really different- one was wide, wide, wide and stout of bone while the other was narrower and much longer.
    He does appear really long in the picture. Good luck whatever you do. I like his over all look.

13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    That sire has a strange stance... I know that injury does not matter at all,,if it is something to do with his back and if it might be genetic that could be a problem down the road.............Just want to know what other people think about it,,, I want to help Alaska boers get a good buck..............just looking after her best interest..................thanks

14. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    I may be more cautious than most, but I would not just take the breeder's word for it. Yes, the breeder is the one who interacts with the animal and knows it best. But the bottomline is the breeder is also a salesman trying to make some money. And as much as I'd love to believe everyone was honest and trustworthy, that is not always so. And even the best of us can be biased about our animals and not present a completely uncolored analysis. Listen to what they have to say, but back up their comments with plenty of visual documentation.

And now that toth mentions it, the sire does have an odd stance. We could be nitpicking but it couldn't hurt to ask about.

15. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    well said badnewsboers. i'm not sure about the sires stance, always looks like he might be leaning? i could ask, i think he's just getting older though. i am going to ask for a video

16. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    the sire buck is not that old,,,,,,, this is the DOB on there website.....

Meet Toboton Creek Everly Brother, aka E.B. d.o.b. 12/22/05

17. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    ok guys lets just let AlaskaBoers make her decision without causing issues amongst ourselves.

Yes I know you want her to get a good buck.....I know she appreciates your input lets not be nit picky about everything that is said.

If anyone continues to make an argument of this then I will deal with them individually.

Lets keep it friendly here now.

Thank you

18. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    hmm, never looked at the date, lol. he's just big. my buck now is wimpy shrimpy. thank you guys for your insight i've made my desiscion.

19. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    I kind of got lost in some of the translation here....BUT.. or is it butt? I have some does who were bred to 2DoxTarzNPipes when he was still at Leaning Tree. All three of his daughters came in 1st 2nd & 3rd in the same age class lst yr. We nick named Miss Demeanor "Booty Queen".
    A 50% daughter of his was Res.
    Furthermore..Leaning Tree is thus far the only place I have done business as far as my foundation does, buying a Nubian sight unseen, and breedings are concerned.
    If we're talkin Leaning Tree, I stand behind her 1000% as far as her word, her expertise.

20. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    RE:Quote
    If anyone continues to make an argument of this then I will deal with them individually.

there is no argument~!! I did not see one among anyone, :scratch: ,she asked what we thought and that is what we did...
    we are not nit picking just saving her agony ,trying to help~!!!! ,, she has decided ,our input was appreciated , she made her decision.............

good luck on your decision Alaska boers~!!! hope for you,,,,,,,,,, the best~!