The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, my girl just got back from breeding this weekend. I performed a famacha test on her eye lids and she is pink. I went ahead and dosed her with some safeguard instead of ivermectin. I had trimmed her hooves because she's got hoof rot :(. She seems to be walking a little better. I was planning on giving her some whole oats to help her gain weight slowly. I normally give her pellets and sweet feed.

I've also noticed that her belly is sagging a bit like my other doe when she was expecting so I am hoping she took. She was at the breeding bucks house since June and just now got home in August.

Thanks Guys!!

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hey guys, my girl just got back from breeding this weekend. I performed a famacha test on her eye lids and she is pink. I went ahead and dosed her with some safeguard instead of ivermectin. I had trimmed her hooves because she's got hoof rot :(. She seems to be walking a little better. I was planning on giving her some whole oats to help her gain weight slowly. I normally give her pellets and sweet feed.

I've also noticed that her belly is sagging a bit like my other doe when she was expecting so I am hoping she took. She was at the breeding bucks house since June and just now got home in August.

Thanks Guys!!
Sorry meant September!

·
Registered
dary farm
461 Posts

Thanks Guys!!
she looks as skiny as our doe we bought. our doe was fed with only corn and grain.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,608 Posts
There are lots of things you can try to help her gain weight. 🙂
  • Free choice hay (an absolute must)
  • A balanced pelleted goat feed
  • Alfalfa Pellets (as stated)
  • Beet Pulp Pellets or Shreds (about a cup a day)
  • Calf Manna (Up to a cup a day)
  • Daily Probiotics
  • Wheat Germ Oil (1 tsp a day top dressed)
  • Dyne Liquid (Top dressed or drenched per instructions on bottle)
  • Electrolytes offered in water
  • Offering a protein pail (slowly introduced of course)
  • Black Oil Sunflower Seeds (aka BOSS) (Up to a 1/4 cup twice a day)
I had a doe that I needed to put weight on and in the end what worked best for her was Blue Seal premium Dairy goat pellets, Alfalfa pellets, BOSS, calf manna, wheat germ oil, and occasional electrolytes. Got her looking spiffy in no time.

Definitely try to find her a loose mineral. Goats don't have textured tongues so it can be hard for them to get enough minerals off a block. If you can get them Sweetlix Meat Maker Goat minerals are great. Replamin Plus gel could be a good idea if you feel like her coat condition is poor.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just my 2 cents. As a first step, I'd address her stress. The transport to buck, a new situation and who knows if that also meant fighting for a place among other does, possibly new feed, being bred, transport back, resuming her place in the herd...the whole thing has been very stressful. Goats in particular are very susceptible to stress.
Goats undergo real physiological changes when stressed. Their stress hormones rise very quickly and stay elevated for a long time, weeks in fact. They actually 'wither' when stressed and do look as though they've lost weight. I can't remember the terminology used, but their tissues lose fullness, despite having plentiful water and feed.
It can take up to a month for a goat to recover from a major stress. Even a small change can at home affect them for a time. They are definitely creatures of habit and don't like change.
Plenty of vitamin C before a major stress has been shown to reduce the effects.
B vitamins, magnesium, probiotics, and there are some calming homeopathic supplements for livestock containing pulsatilla etc that all help with the effects of stress. If you can support her as she recovers from her stress, she'll return to her usual state more quickly.

·
Registered
Breeding Quality Nigerian Dwarf Goats
1,575 Posts
How absolutely terrible!! So sorry you are going through this! Have you asked for a refund from the buck owner? Hope she gets better soon! I too am curious to hear what your vet says. Please keep us updated.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts