My girls - SNOW WHITE - KIDDED! TWINS!

Discussion in 'Waiting Room' started by HoosierShadow, May 31, 2010.

1. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Okay, so I figured I'd finally get a post started in here for our girls.
    I originally posted about a week ago, in another part of the board, by accident, when I meant to post here.

Our first two does are pregnant, and due sometime in June or July. On the paperwork it said Jan 15th was their breeding date, BUT, I believe that may be the day they were put in the buck pen to live, along with a couple of other does.

Sweetheart is the smaller of the two does, and she has a smaller belly, not a whole lot of change that I can tell of her utter either.

Taken on 5-20-10
    [​IMG]

Taken 5-25-10

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Taken 5-30-10
    [​IMG]

Snow White is my sweetie :) I feel we've bonded a lot in the last couple of weeks. We've had these girls a month now, and I am soooo attached...

5-20-10
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5-25-10

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5-30-10
    [​IMG]

These are our first goats, and 'my' first time having a pregnant animal. So I know I'll have an overload of questions soon, since I tend to worry about 'everything' LOL

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Re: My girls - due June/July

they are looking good -- udders developing along as normal. :)

3. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia

Hoosier, you must be a photographer! Your pictures always look so crisp and clean. That one of Snow White could be on the front of a magazine and people everywhere would suddenly want a goat!

4. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

Thanks so much! I am a photographer, and appreciate the kind comments! I photograph horses - racehorses & sale horses. I also just covered my first 4 star horse show in April and got a pic in Sports Illustrated! Cover of our Sunday paper, and the website I was working for also got some sold through the AP and made headlines around the world!
    Here's a link to my sets on flickr if anyone wants to see:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/

Snow White is my sweetie, I just love her so much. And that pic of her is one of my very favorites.

5. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia

Very nice work! I knew that wasn't your typical digital camera and was envisioning a nice high-powered telephoto lens. :wink:

6. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

Thanks! Around the house I use my Canon 40D or 20D, with my 24-105mm f4 lens. It's an okay lens, but I'd love to have something nicer with that range of zoom.
    My favorite lens is the 70-200mm f2.8 which is what I use at the track/sales/horse shows. I don't like to just piddle with it here at home, couldn't afford to replace it if something happened to it!

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

very pretty does and coming along nicely.... :thumb: :love: :greengrin:

8. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

I went out today to check on everyone, and Snow White is lame. She's been lame since Sunday :( I didn't mention this because it was minor, but she's limping and much more sore right now. My husband trimmed their feet Saturday, and I know he made her sore. My poor girl...
    Sweetheart has sensitive feet and has been off too since our last rain. He might have trimmed her a little close too, but I know she was sore before he did the trim. I feel bad for my girls! There are no sores, no sign of any problems that I can tell, and they don't let it stop them from grazing, etc. We had over 10 inches of rain in May....!

Any idea on how long it can take for the soreness to go away? Snow White has been limping much more yesterday and today. Anything I should do or just leave it alone and just keep an eye on it?

I checked Snow White's bag today, and noticed it feels very full! A week ago it was soft, but now you can tell she is filling out. Very exciting!
    But having the two does limping around definitely has me upset. It's bad enough that we're treating the other doe who does have hoof rot and wasn't getting trimmed very well before she came here.
    So now we have 3 girls limping around :(

9. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

I went out and did a thorough check on Sweetheart's feet, and saw a tiny little place on the side, so I did some digging, and sure enough, hidden underneath was hoof rot. I haven't noticed any soft spots or anything on her feet until tonight, it's a little deep but I put some thrush buster on it. Man... 2 does with hoof rot :( Tomorrow I am going to wrap her foot and the other does foot, and hopefully get this stuff gone...
    Is hoof rot this common? We've had 10+ inches of rain in May which is not usual for us, so the ground has been staying moist except for the past couple of days.

I feel so bad, but glad I caught it before it gets any worse!

10. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia

Sorry you are having such bad luck with the girls and their feet. :( My only guess would be trimming the feet with all of the rain and opening it up to bacterial infection if your first girl is in the same area as them? It's good you caught it earlier and all of the experts on here have prepared you for treating it (and I've been taking notes in case I need it!)
    Exciting about your doe bagging up more! It wont be long.

11. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

Thanks! She was sore before my husband trimmed their feet, but maybe only a couple of days. I knew something had to be going on for her to be getting worse instead of better. I think this probably started after we had our last big rain which was about 2 inches of rain within a couple of hours.
    I've heard it can be contageous, so who knows maybe she got it from Molly...
    Molly's foot is slowly looking better <the doe I've been posting about in the Caprine Care section>, so we never wrapped it. But now I want both girls wrapped, and I'll keep a closer eye on the others.

12. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

I noticed a tiny bit more difference in Snow White's bag today, it feels a little fuller to me. She is pooched out a little more on her rear end, noticably different from yesterday.

THe girls are not happy that I kept them in the stall tonight. Hopefully we can get their kidding pen built, so we can let them out at night.
    As I posted in the kiddie koral, we're having an issue with Sweetheart getting bullied, so I'd rather her sleep comfortable at night. I'll go out and check on them later. I can't wait until the pen is done so I can look out the window and see them!

13. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

I went out earlier today to put the girls in the stall because a thunderstorm was about to roll in. I noticed a tiny bit of clear mucus on Sweethearts vulva - about the size of a pea. It wouldn't come off easily as she wiped at it with her tail. I was going to get my camera, but decided to wait until after the thunderstorm.
    So a while later I came back out and there was a tiny piece of red mucus like stuff on her vulva - looked like a tiny piece of rubber?
    I wasn't able to get my camera until late in the evening, and naturally, there was nothing to see, except her vulva looks to be sticking out more?
    I am still unsure what I am feeling for as far as ligaments go, but her tail seems more flexible?
    I don't want to get all worked up or anything of that sort, I don't know that she is even close to kidding, but seeing something different definitely made the 'anxious' feeling of wanting the kids to come!

Here's a pic from late this evening

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's our herd queen, Snow White watching my son as he was getting their grain. She looks like her belly is really starting to drop, or am I imagining it...
    Today I was sitting with her in the stall, and her kid felt like it was dancing in her belly. It was even more cool to sit and watch her belly moving, the kids loved it.

[​IMG]

BTW, it's been fun taking pics once a week and comparing them to see how much they've changed!

14. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

This afternoon when I went out to feed, Sweetheart had more mucus. I sent my son to get my camera, and she decided to pee, LOL
    So a little while later, when I was piddling around, I happened to check her again, and there was more of the mucus. I noticed some the day before yesterday too, but it was just pea sized.
    I almost forgot to add, that it seems her vulva area seems more swollen than it did the day before yesterday.

Yeah, i post a lot, and take too many pics LOL But being the first time for both of us <me and sweetheart!>, I can't help but get 'giddy' over each thing I notice, or think I notice..haha... :)
    Anyway, I've read that when they start showing the mucus that means they could be days or up to two weeks away? Reguardless I know this means she is getting closer, and I can't wait! I am nervous as can be, always worrying about everything! But I can't wait to meet her baby!

Here's pics that I did finally manage to get. She had this discharge for about 15-20 minutes.
    I took these about an hour ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, I am still not certain on the lig thing. I keep feeling her and her buddy, but I am still not certain whatn I am feeling for. I've heard the ligs feel sort of like pencils?

15. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Re: My girls - Sweetheart has mucus discharge! Pics post 14

Still new to goat birthing myself, but that looks like mucus plug to me. ;)

16. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

She's getting closer! Looks like she's losing her plug! :leap: I'm not sure of the Boers but I would think her udder will fill in much more before she delivers.
    As far as the ligs go, yes they feel like pencils...face her butt, take 2 fingers one on either side of her tail bone and go down ward towards her hind legs, do this on your other goats too so you can feel the difference, if her ligs are gone, the entire area on either side of her tail will be soft and mushy.
    Stacey has a good tutorial on finding ligs on her website.

17. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

If she is like my younger doe her udder looked like that when she went into labor but as she pushed her udder really started to fill but not a ton bigger then yours.

18. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

Thanks so much Sterlin, Liz and RPC! I watched Stacey's vid, and found a website with pics to assist with the video, and when I went out to check on the girls a little while go, I finally figured out the ligs! Snow White's are very noticeable, and it was harder to find Sweethearts, they aren't mushy, but you really had to press down to find them. So thanks again!

Her bag fills a little heavy, but def not hard or full. Maybe she'll be the kind that fills up right before or during kidding.

19. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

Well lots more mucus today from Sweetheart, and now Snow White is starting to get some mucus discharge too. My husband said he's seen a lot from her, but I check them a lot through the day and have not seen any until today.
    Sweetheart has spent a little more noticeable time laying by herself. And she has been laying down a lot today. Her ligs are still there if what I am feeling is the ligs <LOL>, but they feel sunken in, but not mushy. You still have to really feel for them. Snow White's are easier to feel.

This is exciting, and I'll probably end up posting a zillion times about the same type of progress LOL

20. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

That's ok...you keep posting!! I am really hoping these 2 give you a break between deliveries!