The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still a bit new to all of this forum business. You'll have to excuse me for not knowing all of the goat "lingo" yet :oops: My partner is working interstate for a bit longer, and there's only so much yammering on I can do to my family and friends before they get sick of all my goat talk...

Just wanted to share a photo of 2 of my girls, Cherry and Mai. These two are getting so huge that they have to take their time laying down & getting up - but still leap over my fences no issues :rolleyes:

My older girl, Lollipop, is also expecting :girl:
Will hopefully get a photo of her later today.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My folks are here to help me juggle animals so just giving a quick update. I've had some issues with my alpaca and Lollipop kidded today.

I wasn't expecting anything to happen for another week yet. About 8.30am Lollipop had 2 kids. I thought the worst because they weren't moving at all when I found them, but they made some noise when I picked them up. Little boy was able to nurse off Lollipop, little girl still has her eyes closed and could not nurse.

I managed to get some colostrum into little girl goat and keep her warm. Boy goat has since had issues trying to nurse so I have him indoors with me. I think Lollipop was worried because whenever he'd rest, she would paw at him and it was a little bit rough.

When the vet came out he said they're premie but that I might be able to keep them going with the bottle, and if they're able to they can go back with their mum when they're strong enough. They are inside with me and have had a couple of feeds - they only seem to have a few mouthfuls at a time so I'm trying to do that regularly. I've only bottle fed a goat once and it was a couple of years ago, I cannot really recall how much they drink as newborns.

I'm going to go back out to Lollipop shortly to take her temp and milk her. I desperately need to eat first!

I'm sorry if I sound a bit disjointed - I've had the WORST fortnight with our animals I can ever remember having. I am starting to feel really helpless. :(

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
The great thing about a goat forum is you have folks to talk to that actually like goats. I'm sorry you are having trouble with your animals. It's hard when you are the only one providing care. How is the alpaca? I have a couple and they are so different from goats.

The babies will get better at nursing the bottle over the next few days. Smaller, more frequent feedings are preferred. I start feeding 5 times/day and go from there. Mom probably won't take them back, I hope you are milking her. Are you feeding her milk to them? Be sure they get the colostrum, it will turn to milk after a few weeks. Good luck!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Di.

The alpaca wouldn't stand up at all this afternoon unless I made him, but tonight when I gave him his injection he felt well enough to spit at, kick and bite me. I am hoping that is a sign of improvement, poor guy. I haven't had to inject into the thigh before (only the neck) and I was shaking so bad, I am very lucky I had somebody to help.

The boy is very active, but the girl drinks more. I know he can suckle but I've tried to feed him over the past couple of hours and he'll have maybe a mouthful or two and then resist me. I'm hopeful I've got enough into him to make a difference, he is pooing pretty good.

I have some colostrum I've been giving (not the mum's, I had some frozen) and I'm going to be milking her. I attempted to this evening but she didn't want a bar of it. She started stressing, then I did, so I called it quits for today. I will have an extra set of hands here tomorrow so I'll probably get better results then. I just do feel bad that I might not be getting her on the first day.

It's close to midnight so I'm going to try to get some shut eye. Thanks all for the help & messages since I've started posting here.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Wow, great job all around! I sure hope you feel recharged with some rest! I just sent up a prayer for you. Keep us posted on your critters!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, things seem pretty good right now :) I'm cautiously hopeful!

Lollipop was screaming for them so much that there was no way I could keep her from seeing them. Little boy was adamant he wanted to stand up and he's got suckling from Lollipop pretty much down pat.

The little girl is going to be a bit more difficult. She only has one half of an eye open and a wonky back leg. She had a lot of difficulty finding the teat, but about 10 mins ago both she and Lollipop stood still long enough for her to have a drink. I'm glad, because she hasn't let me give her much from the bottle.

I'm still concerned that they're so small and unable to move much so I'm supervising and keeping warm. If they can get to a point where Lollipop can have them back I'd be happy because she's such a great mum, but I'll bottle feed for as long as they need.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts