The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading about how people water their goats in the winter, I was planning on letting them continue drinking from the spring. It's so easy and seem very natural and the right way to go. I can't imagine carring buckets of water, unless there was no other source of water.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Sounds great, if your spring/creek doesn't freeze. Not all of us are that lucky...I wouldn't bucket water around if I didn't have to, believe me!

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I think that sounds like a fine idea as long as the creek doesn't freeze. If your lucky enough to have a spring why not take advantage of it ;)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Honestly, I wasn't sure if I was doing the right thing or not. I'm very new to having goats. I read a lot about people heating water.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
If it runs through the winter and doesn't freeze, then I would just let them drink. A lot of people have heated so the water buckets/tanks don't freeze up.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Well if you ask me your doing just fine. The freezing is a good thing to watch for.
I do recall some where along the line reading about not drinking from streams or such. IMO I think some people shelter their goats way too much and in the long run is asking for health problems. As long as its not a nasty pond full of run off poop or so.etching like that its just fine.

·
8,157 Posts
Heated buckets in the winter- no clean running water near the goats. We live on a river, but I wouldn't drink my goats milk if
they drank that water! You are fortunate to have a clean running spring.

·
1,524 Posts
The only spring I have comes up in the spring and (wet) summer- right in the middle of the goat stall. It wasn't there when we built the barn, but popped up last summer. Sure can't drink out of that!

You are so lucky! I have to haul mine from the kitchen in buckets all winter long.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You should look into what kind of parasites and or contaminates are in the water.
Its the same spring I have been drinking out of coming to my kitchen for the last 37 years and hasn't hurt anyone. Thank you though. I thought maybe it wasn't good for goats to drink really cold water in the winter.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The only spring I have comes up in the spring and (wet) summer- right in the middle of the goat stall. It wasn't there when we built the barn, but popped up last summer. Sure can't drink out of that!

You are so lucky! I have to haul mine from the kitchen in buckets all winter long.
So sorry for all of you that have to haul water....When I first got my goats, they were used to drink out of a bucket and I had to fill every day because they would not drink from the spring. I took their bucket down to the the spring and set it beside the creek. The next day I put the bucket into the creek, and every day after I would go and dig a little so the bucket would eventually be submerged. After that I remove the bucket and they keep on drinking out of the creek.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
I'm very jealous. Bucketing water isn't as bad in Summer-spring-fall, but in the winter when we can't have the hose out pulled down to the barn, it's terrible to have to carry water all the way from the spicket on the side of the house to the barn :(

I have a heated bucket, but only so the water doesn't freeze into a solid block of ice and a) leave the goats without water, and b) break my bucket :)

·
558 Posts
The only thing I wonder about is if it is raining or snowing very hard would they still go out to the stream to drink? My girls run for the barn when it rains. During a heavy snow storm, would they even venture out of the barn? Also, if they want a drink at night, I would worry about them being prey for a coyote.

Just a thought....

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
I'd assume they'd be alright, just if for some reason you don't think they'd leave the barn for a while, you could throw a bucket of water in there for them, just in case.

·
I'm watching you
22,256 Posts
Mine go out to drink and graze while it is raining. I have a seasonal reek that they can drink out of.
My Dh also tied into the water heater for me so, I can shut one valve and open another on the back of the house and I have hot water at the hose bib.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The only thing I wonder about is if it is raining or snowing very hard would they still go out to the stream to drink? My girls run for the barn when it rains. During a heavy snow storm, would they even venture out of the barn? Also, if they want a drink at night, I would worry about them being prey for a coyote.

Just a thought....
Thank you, that is something to consider. I 've only had goats since August and only a couple days of rain.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I bet that water is freaking tasty! :) Had a small spring outside the cabin in Montana that was amazing. The cold water should have no effect on them at all.
LOL...it is good!!!

·
558 Posts
Thank you, that is something to consider. I 've only had goats since August and only a couple days of rain.
I am new to this too. This will be my first winter with mine also. I really am curious what the goatie experts will say about them venturing out in the snow. Inquiring minds want to know....LOL

1 - 20 of 20 Posts