The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My poor little guy is infested. Tried brushing them out, but the more I brush...the more appear. I looked thru his fur & they are everywhere...thousands of tiny ticks. What can I do?

·
Registered
30,638 Posts
python dust does help...if they ar tiny seed ticks..they dont like goats much...but will pester them until they come off....I put python dust in a sock and pat him all over...avoid nose and eye area....if he had them in his ear...pymectin works to get them off the ear if the stick...I spray a bit on a plate and dip my finger and rub all on the inside ..I also will rub some near the nose..(this is dilueted pymectin..not straight)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are so tiny that at 1st thought they were just some seed plant he had gotten into & was trying to brush them away when inoticed them moving. M husband was like oh my goodness. They are ticks! With no advice last night...I called emergency vet & they said our dogs flea/tick meds were ok for him. So we did until we could get to the feed store today to get anything else

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
You can use the CyLence pour on at 1cc to 25lbs every 3 weeks or until the ticks ease out of the area for tick treatment/prevention. I am not sure if you can use it after using another pour on type (if you did use a dog flea and tick med) without waiting 3 to 4 weeks but you could ask your vet that.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
Equisect kills ticks and is naturally based (gentler). I would stark picking out as many as you can, it's the tiny ones that cause lime's disease, but gladly they have to be in for at least 24 hours I believe ... Pick them out, put them in a cup and drown them as you're picking.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The bio spot that we used seems to have killed all the ticks. He is still covered in them, but they are lifeless. Now I have to figure out how to get them off his coat...preferrably without shaving him :(. Is there anything natural that is a good tick repellent for future use.

·
Registered
30,638 Posts
we have been battling seed ticks for 4 years, onour chickens, ducks and turkeys, our dogs..a few on young kid goats..My own kids lol...we tried everything we could to get rid of them naturally with no success..this year we are using pymectin...which is not as harsh as some chemicals..it works for a week at a time then you have to retreat. we treat every 3 days..once we have them under control we will go to weekly...we are seeing results..finally...we make a batch for animals which is mild...3 cc pymectin to 1 gallon water...we make a very strong solution for under the barn and areas the ticks are heavy but animals don't go much..and we use a slightly less strong solution for the rest of the grounds where the animals and my children play..after 4 years with no success..Im tired and wanted a win..its taking time..but we are happy seeing any success at this point..:D

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Equisect kills ticks and is naturally based (gentler). I would stark picking out as many as you can, it's the tiny ones that cause lime's disease, but gladly they have to be in for at least 24 hours I believe ... Pick them out, put them in a cup and drown them as you're picking.
Sad thing is that it is a great misconception that only a certain type can carry the lyme's diease (I use to believe it too). Really any type can carry it but it is more commonly seen in certain type's depending on your location. Another misconception is that they have to be on for 24 hours. I found this out the hard way. I had a tick on me for maybe 4 hours max before I could get it removed (on back and husband not home) and still ended up with Lyme's disease. If you have any force applied to the tick body that can squeeze fluids into the individual (animal or human) it is on then you could have forced the Lyme's disease into that individual. Always be sure to grab infront of the body and get the whole head out. Do not try the methods people suggest for making them withdrawal (like alcohol on swab etc) because they can express a fluid into the individual while backing out.

On a side note if it is chiggers (yes they do exist) they do not carry Lyme's disease and can appear to look like tiny ticks. Chiggers are a pain but have a short span of time that they actually get on animals/people. They are on plants for a longer period but as they grow they move through stages where they will get on a host. CyLence works on them as well. I originally used Tea Tree oil on a piece of clothes line then wrapped in fabric to keep ticks off of the animals but here the tick level is higher then normal (the ground really needs more sulfur in it).

·
Registered
82 Posts
sounds like it might be lice to me. Eprinex works great. Probably would work even if it is ticks.

I bought a new goat once (this is how I learned to check them), and my daughter came running into the house the next day saying "So and so has ticks all over her!" I looked and sure enough she was totally infested with lice.

Check all your other goats because if it is lice, they will have them too. I dribble of Eprinex down everyone's back will do the trick and you can use it on chickens too.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It was seed ticks & our dogs tick med worked wonders. It killed almost every tick & I just had to brush him out :))

·
Registered
30 Posts
Are dog/cat preventatives like frontline safe for young goats if the weight recommendations are followed? Is that what the biospot you mentioned is? I just found one of the flat ticks in my doeling's ear and one on her knee last week. Thankfully, neither had attached. Ticks are BAD here, so even though we will treat the area, I'd like to treat her, too, with something that won't get all over me since she spends a lot of time in my arms and snoozing on my feet or in my lap. Thank goodness she is white and they have been easily spotted before they could get a grip on her!

·
Registered
309 Posts
We haven't had a tick issue like some of the others have spoken about, but we have found several every year. After doing some research though we found an all natural tick loving solution - GUINEAS!!! They are well known for their love of 'tick eating' as well as numerous other insects and bugs. As a bonus they tend to keep away rodents and snakes as well. Plus the are really good watchdogs or should I say alarm systems. Just a thought.
:p

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Are dog/cat preventatives like frontline safe for young goats if the weight recommendations are followed? Is that what the biospot you mentioned is? I just found one of the flat ticks in my doeling's ear and one on her knee last week. Thankfully, neither had attached. Ticks are BAD here, so even though we will treat the area, I'd like to treat her, too, with something that won't get all over me since she spends a lot of time in my arms and snoozing on my feet or in my lap. Thank goodness she is white and they have been easily spotted before they could get a grip on her!
Our vet said not to use the really strong ones such as frontline. But the biospot...hartz products were fine. And it worked wonders :)

·
Registered
513 Posts
Flower of Sulfur works too- you can dust them with it- mom used to give us kids a teaspoon mixed with honey every morning to keep them from biting us. Don't know if it would upset goats rumen or not. Will work for your children

1 - 20 of 21 Posts