The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My goat has hoof rot, and I'm not sure what to do. I noticed her limping the other day, and her front hooves seem to have hoof rot. Does anyone know how to treat hoof rot? I'd really like some help with this.

·
8,487 Posts
Can you post a photo? First, clean out the hoof, trim it, then soak it in warm water and epsom salts to see what is going on. Look between the toes, is it red or scabby? (that could be mites)

Some questions- is it pretty much wet and muddy where the goat lives? Are there any areas that she can get to where it is dry, so her feet can dry off over night or during the day?

A lot of folks make the mistake of calling soft feet with thrush or hoof scald - hoof rot. True hoof rot actually eats the hoof, is very contagious and if it is in the soil, very hard to get rid of.
Thrush is black foul smelling rot in the hoof, sometimes caused by a lack of copper. Copper tox for horses will help the Thrush. Hoof scald is very similar- wet conditions and mud. Try the copper-tox or "Hoof-n-Heal".

If you haven't given a copper bolus recently, the copper will help with the hoof health. (Takes some time- won't happen overnight)

Hoof Rot - Same as above then antibiotics to clear up.

The main thing is to clean and dry the hooves, put the above meds on and have a place to get out of the wet so the feet can heal. If you think it is Hoof Rot, a vet would be in order.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts