The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. We have 2 Nigerian pygmy dwarfs...Fred and Barney. Fred has been acting strange lately. He has been seperating himself and eating dirt. I read that this is a sign of mineral deficiency. I added it to their feed dish. He still has lots of his winter coat. So today I went to brush him and noticed bald spots on the back of his legs and neck.
Should I be bringing him to the vet?
Thanks in advance.
Gina

·
Registered
3,990 Posts

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
And, welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And, welcome to the forum!
Thank you. The minerals are from Tractor Supply. It's an orange bag...goat minerals. Sorry can't get a pic of the bad at the moment. We used to have them in a separate bowl but they never were touched. Is it possible that because we have had 2 very wet years that's our plants don't have the needed nutrients?

·
Registered
839 Posts
It's manna Pro I believe? It's not a great mineral but I used it at first too u til I realized I needed better minerals. Now I don't use manna pro anymore. Yes you're correct the more rain the word the more deficiencies you have in your forage and your hay. I've seen horses do this as well. I'm not educated enough to give you advice about the balding but I believe it's zinc? They lack when they have hair missing. @Dwarf Dad is right there's an excellent thread on here good luck to you reading it and getting the minerals:)

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
If your name is any indication of your family size, I know you do not have a lot of spare time for reading.lol Tractor Supply has a very good cattle mineral called Purina Wind and Rain Storm that is a great mineral for goats. 1131949.jpeg If that is too pricey they have a Purina Cattle Mineral 6% Phosphorous. 1014685.jpeg

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you. Last night we went to Tractor Supply to get the wind rain storm but apparently it's only sold online. So I will order it. Should I be leaving a bowl of it for free feed? I have been doing that but they didn't eat any of it.

What is drenching? Is that something I should be doing as well. They dont have worms. Isnt that what drenching is for?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What is sweetlik? I was reading post about minerals and sweetlik was mentioned alot. Is it sweet? Because Fred cant have anything sweet because he has had bladder stones and has had the tip of his penis cut off. Poor guy has been through it.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Sweetlix is an excellent goat mineral. You would want the 16:8 Meat Maker UNMEDICATED. Not the medicated

Since it is Spring, and you have had a lot of rain, you may like this one

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/purina-wind-rain-storm-hi-mag-4-complete?cm_vc=-10005
It is what I've temporarily switched to because of my rain and super fast growth.

You also need a salt lick. May I suggest this one, because of the high level of zinc and iodine?
https://www.doitbest.com/products/759243
I've learned that I was wrong to not give a separate salt lick along with my minerals. And now I won't be without it.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
One simple difference is it has a higher level of Magnesium to prevent Grass Tetany. You are wise to think about all your rain.

Later you can switch to the All Season Red Bag.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
What is sweetlik? I was reading post about minerals and sweetlik was mentioned alot. Is it sweet? Because Fred cant have anything sweet because he has had bladder stones and has had the tip of his penis cut off. Poor guy has been through it.
No, it is not sweet and is a loose mineral. I wish Sweetlix was available in my area, shipping cost on a bag of minerals is outrageous. Meat Maker 16.8 Rain Guard has 14-16.80% calcium: 8% phosphorous: 15-18% salt : 1750-1810 ppm copper: 1.20% zinc: 50 ppm selenium * 16.8 Sheep and Goat has 15-18 % calcium: 8% phosphorous: 14-16.80% salt: 5-35 ppm copper: 7000 ppm zinc 25 ppm selenium * 4% Phosphorous Multi-Purpose has 20-24% calcium: 4% phosphorous: 15-18% salt: 5-35 ppm copper : 750 ppm zinc: 19 ppm selenium.
There are other minerals listed on the guaranteed analysis and this is not a complete overview of the 3 brands Sweetlix suggested for goat usage.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
And yes, they should have some available all the time (that is why it should not be medicated) but they do prefer it fresh. So I'd put some out, not a lot, and replenish it when I see it is low.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
If no one else caught it, to drench is more or less force or tube feeding with a syringe with no needle.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got a bag of Purina wind and rain. Had to drive to a few tractor supplies to find it. Ordering the copper capsules tonight. How often should these be given? Once a year, a month?

I really appreciate everyone's input!!

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
Got a bag of Purina wind and rain. Had to drive to a few tractor supplies to find it. Ordering the copper capsules tonight. How often should these be given? Once a year, a month?

I really appreciate everyone's input!!
Copper boluses are given once or twice a year depending on severity.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts