The Goat Spot Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,939 Posts
Hang in there, you’re doing all you can. I’m glad to see she’s standing.
Thanks for the update. Prayers she recovers and she gives you a beautiful doeling.
Please get some redcell For the anemia, you can find it in either the horse or dog section of most feed stores 1cc per 10 lbs daily till Pink then twice a week for two weeks, then once a week for two weeks. Treating anemia is really important for doe and her babies.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I believe goofygoat nailed her case from the very start. I had to play catch-up on goat language to fully understand what is going on and here is an update and my dilemma. So Abeer as this is her name has a body score of 1.5 at the moment. I presume that her pneumonia was followed or more like revealed by the symptoms of pregnancy toxemia. Fortunately the vet provided glucose from day 1 of her Draxxin treatment and goofygoat provided me with the clues to concoct a local made Magic boost. The problem is that the doe is not due until a full month from now. And though she is able to take a few steps every couple of hours and eat pee and poop normally her condition as I understand can only get worse as time passes by. I have increased ever so slightly her grain consumption and give her a magic boost every 5 hours I don’t feel that this can last a full month.

Discussing it with the vet he left up to me to decide whether to force an abortion and hope to save the doe or give it a shot until a cesarean can be performed with a slight chance to save the kids but not the doe since her condition is poor. I didn’t know that owning goats would be so tough. Any suggestions?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29,990 Posts
Awe..this is so hard. Im sorry its come to having to choose. We can not make this decision for you but can share our thoughts if it were our goat. I'LL GO FIRST
SO, For me I have always felt saving mom is priority. If I knew she would not make it if she continued the pregnacy....I would abort her.. She can always rebred once her over all condition improves.
I have only dealt with Toximia once many years ago and lost my doe and the unborn babies. (My husband was having surgery and I was not home...my kids tried to care for her..but..) at any rate it is a hard disease to fight but many have successfully got mom through it. Im sure they will want share their stories... dont give up too quick. Maybe getting mom within 2 weeks of due date will offer hope for both mom and kids.

In the mean time..lots of support for mom..50/50 molasses and water or other energy source at least 2 times a day. B complex daily. Probiotics 3-4 hours after any antibiotic daily. Keep her eating a variety of browse food, alfalfa and hay. Good loose minerals.
Grab some ketone strips to check her urine for levels.
I would also recommend a juice of carrots and celery...maybe 2 each juiced and fed or drenched 2-3 times a day for a good calcium source.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,939 Posts
Wow, I was hoping it wasn't toxemia. I'm so sorry you're faced with such a tough call. I can't or won't tell you what to do it's your decision.

@happybleats gave you wonderful suggestions though and truthfully I'd give it a bit more time given you're now on the right track. However,
IF it were me, I'd get the redcell and ketone strips and see where shes at in a week. Take it daily, but I too would save the doe to breed again if it came right down to it.
I know there are a few breeders here who've dealt with this very same problem and they've written extensively. I'll try and find a few of the threads for you to read. It's going to be a bit or later today though I have to get to physical therapy.
Hang in there...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Wow, I was hoping it wasn't toxemia. I'm so sorry you're faced with such a tough call. I can't or won't tell you what to do it's your decision.

@happybleats gave you wonderful suggestions though and truthfully I'd give it a bit more time given you're now on the right track. However,
IF it were me, I'd get the redcell and ketone strips and see where shes at in a week. Take it daily, but I too would save the doe to breed again if it came right down to it.
I know there are a few breeders here who've dealt with this very same problem and they've written extensively. I'll try and find a few of the threads for you to read. It's going to be a bit or later today though I have to get to physical therapy.
Hang in there...
Thanks goofygoat. And thanks to all who provided support. This is an amazing group
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29,990 Posts
That does look encouraging!! Keep up the great care!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,939 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
794 Posts
You have beautiful goats! I love that shaggy hair. I hope all goes well for your doe. I know getting some green food and being with her herd mates for a while should help cheer her up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I entered this forum for this exact purpose of getting someone else’s opinion and I can guarantee you that your valuable advice takes a lot of credit for saving this goat. Even the vet was not as spontaneous to find the real underlying cause of her mishaps. To all of you I say thanks. We’ll take it one step at a time. Hopefully we are on the right track. Hopefully Can’t wait to show you some Damascus breed. I have 6 does that are due in feb. aside from this one. I’ll cross my fingers and do what I can. Happybleats you are an expert.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29,990 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
82,257 Posts
How are things?

Allowing the goat out and about is good for the rumen and her overall attitude to live.
Being with other goats is good.

Be sure to not allow her on the lush pasture for too long, she may start scouring.
Any feed slowly introduce it.
Hay is good too for roughage.


Everyone has good advice.
 
21 - 40 of 59 Posts
Top