The Goat Spot Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I don’t know what to say. Abeer is hanging on by a thread. Shots of b complex are given to her daily. Her Anemia keeps getting worse. I gave her a shot of venofer which is used for humans and seems to have less ADRs than ferrodex because vets around here don’t go to such length to save a goat. I don’t expect much. Her breathing is fast probably due to her low red cell count. No temperature. She eats everything but her appetite is diminishing. No more pneumonia. She drinks less. I keep giving her molasses which she takes less greedily than before. I believe I did my best. The rest is up to her.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I keep taking her out for an hour to allow her to get some greens but she practically can’t stand and gets wobbly. Supplement her regular feed with vitamins calcium and IV boost called duphalyte. Didn’t remotely think i’d have to go through that path when I first bought them.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
Have you been giving her the redcell daily? It’s really really important for the anemia. You can find it at tractor supply or any decent feed store. 10cc per 100 lbs till her lower inner eyelid is pink then twice a week for two weeks then once a week for two more weeks.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Have you been giving her the redcell daily? It's really really important for the anemia. You can find it at tractor supply or any decent feed store. 10cc per 100 lbs till her lower inner eyelid is pink then twice a week for two weeks then once a week for two more weeks.
Might be be available in Lebanon?
Sending continued healing prayers for Abeer!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Red cell doesn’t exist here. Nor does tractor supply. Nor was I able to reach any vets in my area which is not that rural who could be of help. They mainly provide for cats and dogs. So I took the initiative to provide human medication. It’s basically the same thing or even better. Let’s see

·
Registered
30,003 Posts
Any chance you can arrange a blood transfusion? It maybe the only thing to get her through at this point. You would need a healthy donor. Not a pregnant one. Any Vet should be able to do it.

In the mean time, you can try smoothies made up with high iron greens. Drench her with 30 cc of a 50/50 mix of apple cider vinegar and water. Also daily Vit C helps metabolize iron.
here is a herbal tea to help boost iron, if you can get these..
3 Tablespoons Nettle Leaf
1 Tablespoon Yellow Dock Root
1 Tablespoon Dandelion Root
1 Tablespoon Burdock Root
Tablespoon Astragalus Root
2 Tablespoons Rosehips
8 cups Water
1 cup Molasses

How To Make Your Herbal Iron Tonic Syrup
Add yellow dock, dandelion, burdock, astragalus, rosehips, and water to a pot.
Heat on low and simmer the herbs for 30 minutes to an hour, uncovered, stirring occasionally.
Don't let the pot come to a rolling boil, but keep it simmering.
Turn the heat off and add your nettle and stir in molasses.
Let your syrup cool and strain it into bottles.

Dose for humans is 1 tablespoon 1-3 x a day.
For a severely anemic goat I would do 1 tablespoon every hour for day one, then I would do at least 4 times a day until I saw color improve, then go to 2 times until she is deep pink.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Dear all, an update for Abeer:
She is still hanging on, is kind of alert, eats drinks, and poops well but aside from raising her up myself to aid her in pooping there is practically no way she will try to take steps on her own. I give her calcium and magnesium shots every other day as well as b complex and Venofer to treat her anemia. Her famacha score has risen slightly. I have already given her 600mg over the course of a week and the plan is to provide her with 1200mg in total.

Magic boost is given to her sporadically say once a day as I feel that overmedicating her is counterproductive. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
30,003 Posts
She is a fighter!! Getting her up and moving as often as you can but at least 3 or 4 times a day...use a large towel to support her like a sling..even if just standing for a few minutes. Do leg work outs by moving her legs up..forward and down.(circular ish) add resistance by pressing upward on her hoof. Moving her muscles will keep her from loosing them not being able to get up at all. Goats tend to give up once they stop getting up. You both are fighters..she could rally for you. In that above picture she looks alert and bright eye..

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
I am thinking of you and Abeer. Wondered how things went.:hug:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
768F5062-DE7A-4DC0-8B94-CC2BB17086ED.jpeg
Abeer unfortunately did not make it. She aborted two stillborn a buckling and a doeling and passed away a couple of hours later. It was a very sad loss for me as a new goat owner especially that her kids were beautiful. But the other does more than made up for it. See for yourself in the pic one of the new kids on the block. A Nubian Damascus goat mix.

·
Registered
30,003 Posts
I'm sorry to hear she didn't make it. You did everything to help her.

Congratulations on your new babies. Hopefully things will look up from here

Reactions: MadHouse

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
Oh no, I’m so so sorry! You both gave it your all! RIP Abeer, you were something special and I know you’re watching over your herd as a guardian angel.

What a gorgeous baby! Congratulations

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
So sorry to hear. Abeer was special!
Congratulations on your new arrivals! What beautiful new life!!

41 - 59 of 59 Posts