The Goat Spot Forum banner

My goat is not recuperating

3K views 58 replies 11 participants last post by  toth boer goats 
#1 · (Edited)
Azure Rodent Rat Carnivore Fawn
Hi everyone. I am a new owner of 14 goats which I acquired a couple of months ago. 2 weeks ago I noticed that one doe was losing weight but didn't give it too much thought. A couple of days back her health had deteriorated to the point that she could barely walk. Called the vet and he told me to drench her so I used Oxarex Gold. Still I felt that the problem was not solved so I called another vet who examined her and determined she had pneumonia. Draxxin dodicile b12 calcium and other vitamins were given to her 3 days ago. As I write this message she can barely stand up without help but eats and drinks well. Her poop seems fine but she is not gaining any strength and the cough at times still remains. She is 4 months pregnant. What should I do?

See less See more
#2 ·
Draxxin was only given once since it is long lasting but b complex metabolase calcium and painkillers are being given daily since. I feed her hay bran a little barley and greens. I added some salt to the feed and I am giving her warm water which she seems to like. But practically no energy

#3 ·
She may need another antibiotic added to the draxxin. Excede, and pen g are ones that we jad to use on mine that had it. If she is not drinking she needs fluids... like iv or sub q fluids. You can do the sub q yourself if the vet will allow it. What is her temp? Try finding her some branches of green forage. She needs some straw in there. I would be calling the vet back. She looks like a sick lil thing.

Did the vet take poop for a fecal? That needs be done too.

#4 ·
Welcome to TGS.
I’m sorry your doe is so Ill. She’s a pretty little thing.
Do you know how to check her FAMACHA score? (Inner lower eye lid color)
What is her temperature, taken rectally.
Can you give her some “magic”
It’s one part molasses, one part corn or maze oil and two parts karo syrup. It’ll give her an energy boost.
Being 4 months pregnant she might be in ketosis As well as having other issues like a worm bloom.
You can check for ketosis by Using human ketostrips found in the diabetic section of the local pharmacy (chemist) or maybe your local grocery.
I’m not sure what sort of access you have to things being in Lebanon unless it’s Lebanon KY.
I Hope we can help you.

#7 ·
It takes a while for strength to rebuild. Keep some safe natural browse in front of her..things like oak leaves..pine..cedar..black berry vines ..alfalfa and hay. Dont add salt to her feed..just set it in a dish for her to choose to eat if she wants it . She also needs quality loose minerals. It's great she is drinking plenty. Try getting her up often and helping her walk a little..this helps her muscle strength and rumen function. You can use a large towel like a sling to help support her. Just pull it up under her and spread it wide...hold the 4 corners up to support her.
Draxxin is a good antibiotic for lung issues..but without knowing her temperature..its hard to know whats going on and if she needs a secondary antibiotic.
Grab a digital thermometers...does not need to be for animals. Don't get the rapid speed one..but most all others work great. 101.5-103-5 is normal range. With her being 4 months a long..adding some molasses to her warm water can offer some energy.

#8 ·
As an encouragement, here is a collage of my doe Nellie. She got very ill and took weeks to get her back on her feet...they can bounce back and thrive, but it takes a lot of work on our end. With your doe eating and drinking, and pooping berries, that wins half the battle. You got this!

Attachments

#9 ·
thanks for all the support everyone I really appreciate it. I gave her a modified magic boost. Molasses some honey hot water and canola oil. Waiting to get some tums to add to her hot water shortly. It may be ketosis. She was bred to a Damascus goat and her tummy is prominent. Will wait to see the results. Also will post her temp as soon as the vet arrives shortly. Once again thanks.

#13 ·
Unfortunately the doe’s health is deteriorating. anemia is getting stronger despite providing her with magic boost. He temperature is 103. Peeing regularly. Ample amounts of water. Poop is normal. Oak leaves are provided but she doesn’t eat eagerly. Walking forcibly a few steps now and then. Vet just gave her oxyjat LA since her cough hasn’t receded along with more vitamins and minerals. I hope she makes it.

#14 · (Edited)
Can you get some red cell? Give 6cc’s per 100 lb Daily until FAMACHA is pink. Then twice a week for two week then once a week for two weeks.
The only other thing for anemia is a blood transfusion.
High doses of vitamin c gummies or chewables help.
So does a high protein diet you can drench with dyne Mixed in with Soaked soggy alfalfa Pellets in warm water.
I’m sorry she’s not doing well.
Prayers for your girl

#15 ·
Yes she needs anemia support. All mentioned above and I will add a 50/50 mix of raw apple cider vinegar and water..30 cc once a day. Would also give her cayenne pepper with honey which will offer readily available vit Bs and energy. Cayenne pepper is an amazing herb.
I too am sorry shes not doing well. Shes lucky to be in dedicated hands.

Best wishes

#16 ·
View attachment 194887 Hi everyone. I am a new owner of 14 goats which I acquired a couple of months ago. 2 weeks ago I noticed that one doe was losing weight but didn't give it too much thought. A couple of days back her health had deteriorated to the point that she could barely walk. Called the vet and he told me to drench her so I used Oxarex Gold. Still I felt that the problem was not solved so I called another vet who examined her and determined she had pneumonia. Draxxin dodicile b12 calcium and other vitamins were given to her 3 days ago. As I write this message she can barely stand up without help but eats and drinks well. Her poop seems fine but she is not gaining any strength and the cough at times still remains. She is 4 months pregnant. What should I do?
Dod the vet do a lungworm float in the fecal? It could be that with the cough and anemia.

#18 ·
Garlic never hurts ;)

#19 ·
I recently had a doe go down, no reason that I could see. She got Vitamin B complex, 12 cc, Vitamin AD+E, Bo-Se, Banamine, and Nuflor (antibiotic). I gave the B, Banamine and Nufor daily. Touch and go for a week, then she finally stood on her own. Not sure if this will help your doe, but sometimes you have to throw everything and hope something sticks!

I used a small straw bale for her to lay across, trying to get her stronger.

I hope she get better for you.

#23 · (Edited)
Hang in there, you’re doing all you can. I’m glad to see she’s standing.
Thanks for the update. Prayers she recovers and she gives you a beautiful doeling.
Please get some redcell For the anemia, you can find it in either the horse or dog section of most feed stores 1cc per 10 lbs daily till Pink then twice a week for two weeks, then once a week for two weeks. Treating anemia is really important for doe and her babies.

#24 ·
I believe goofygoat nailed her case from the very start. I had to play catch-up on goat language to fully understand what is going on and here is an update and my dilemma. So Abeer as this is her name has a body score of 1.5 at the moment. I presume that her pneumonia was followed or more like revealed by the symptoms of pregnancy toxemia. Fortunately the vet provided glucose from day 1 of her Draxxin treatment and goofygoat provided me with the clues to concoct a local made Magic boost. The problem is that the doe is not due until a full month from now. And though she is able to take a few steps every couple of hours and eat pee and poop normally her condition as I understand can only get worse as time passes by. I have increased ever so slightly her grain consumption and give her a magic boost every 5 hours I don’t feel that this can last a full month.

Discussing it with the vet he left up to me to decide whether to force an abortion and hope to save the doe or give it a shot until a cesarean can be performed with a slight chance to save the kids but not the doe since her condition is poor. I didn’t know that owning goats would be so tough. Any suggestions?

#25 ·
Awe..this is so hard. Im sorry its come to having to choose. We can not make this decision for you but can share our thoughts if it were our goat. I'LL GO FIRST
SO, For me I have always felt saving mom is priority. If I knew she would not make it if she continued the pregnacy....I would abort her.. She can always rebred once her over all condition improves.
I have only dealt with Toximia once many years ago and lost my doe and the unborn babies. (My husband was having surgery and I was not home...my kids tried to care for her..but..) at any rate it is a hard disease to fight but many have successfully got mom through it. Im sure they will want share their stories... dont give up too quick. Maybe getting mom within 2 weeks of due date will offer hope for both mom and kids.

In the mean time..lots of support for mom..50/50 molasses and water or other energy source at least 2 times a day. B complex daily. Probiotics 3-4 hours after any antibiotic daily. Keep her eating a variety of browse food, alfalfa and hay. Good loose minerals.
Grab some ketone strips to check her urine for levels.
I would also recommend a juice of carrots and celery...maybe 2 each juiced and fed or drenched 2-3 times a day for a good calcium source.

#26 ·
Wow, I was hoping it wasn't toxemia. I'm so sorry you're faced with such a tough call. I can't or won't tell you what to do it's your decision.

@happybleats gave you wonderful suggestions though and truthfully I'd give it a bit more time given you're now on the right track. However,
IF it were me, I'd get the redcell and ketone strips and see where shes at in a week. Take it daily, but I too would save the doe to breed again if it came right down to it.
I know there are a few breeders here who've dealt with this very same problem and they've written extensively. I'll try and find a few of the threads for you to read. It's going to be a bit or later today though I have to get to physical therapy.
Hang in there...

#27 ·
Wow, I was hoping it wasn't toxemia. I'm so sorry you're faced with such a tough call. I can't or won't tell you what to do it's your decision.

@happybleats gave you wonderful suggestions though and truthfully I'd give it a bit more time given you're now on the right track. However,
IF it were me, I'd get the redcell and ketone strips and see where shes at in a week. Take it daily, but I too would save the doe to breed again if it came right down to it.
I know there are a few breeders here who've dealt with this very same problem and they've written extensively. I'll try and find a few of the threads for you to read. It's going to be a bit or later today though I have to get to physical therapy.
Hang in there...
Thanks goofygoat. And thanks to all who provided support. This is an amazing group

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.