The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 4 month old goat kid's leg got stuck in the gate. She must have been stuck there for maybe an hour or so. When I went out in the barn I heard her screaming and I got her leg out. Her leg had been rubbed raw where she was stuck. She was limping. I don't think she broke any bones. When I went to feed her her milk she didn't want to drink or eat her feed. Is there any medicines I can give her? I did give her some aspirin for the pain.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Did you try putting some liniment on it? It numbs the leg for a bit:

But if there is an open wound then DON'T use that. In that case I would put triple antibiotic ointment on it.
If she doesn't improve quickly I would say she needs a vet to look at her. They can give stronger pain medicine (like banamine) and evaluate the leg.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts

·
8,175 Posts
Aww, poor baby. She may be a little shocky. Check her temp and keep her warm. Give warm water and some probiotics. Shock can shut the rumen down.

I hope she is doing better now.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I went to feed her this morning she was jumping on the gate waiting to be fed. She drank her whole bottle. I think she is doing good, except that she is still limping a little. The spot is red. I think I might clean it out again and put original neosporin on her leg. Hopefully she doesn't get an infection.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts