My goat needs more Carbs

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by StaceyRosado, Jul 24, 2009.

1. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    She is just way to thin for my liking - has a cough (cold) and is nursing quads so that isnt helping her. (FYI she has been wormed and treated for cocci per fecal)

So for Sweet Pea what would you give her to increase her Carb intake? She has enough protein - 16% feed mixed with a 18% feed plus BOSS So its carbs she needs.

I am going out today in like an hour so I would like to know what I can pick up. Thanks

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Good question....I have 2 does that really need to put on more weight too!

3. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

Im not so sure about the goats- but Ive had really good success getting weight on thin horses with beet pulp

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    thats what was suggested to me

would the shredded or the pellets be better?

How many people actualy soak them? I hear with the shredded you dont have to soak them?? but the pellets are less expensive and it goes further (so the lady said) as well as there is more in the bag.

5. yonderhill

yonderhill New Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Upstate NY
    I was going to suggest beet pulp as well... It has really helped the milkers maintain weight.. We use the shredded. And the girls love their beet pulp!

Jennah

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Jennah do you soak it?

7. ProctorHillFarm

We use shredded- and dont soak it
    I know another breeder that feeds the pellets though- and she doesnt soak it.
    But they are HUGE rock hard pellets- so I prefer the shredded- you can get it with mollasses too and that encourages them to eat it- some can, believe it or not, be sort of picky about the beet pulp and eat all the grain and leave the shreds at the bottom of the bucket :roll:

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    she is super picky so I worry abotu spending 20.00 on a bag of shredded on to find she wont eat it!

the pellets are only 15.00 - which isnt much better

9. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yep, i've gone with shreds, pellets or Crumbles, never soaked.

10. ProctorHillFarm

One bag should last you FOREVER with her though- either shredded or pellets.
    I mean- your talking about feeding like 4 cups a day max- I just feed it to them on the milkstand as much as they can eat- but I cant really see mine eating more than a cup or so of beet pulp mixed in with the grain and alfalfa pellets.
    A bag lasts me for at least a month - that was when I was milking 6 or so.
    Beet pulp doesnt really "go bad" either as long as it stays dry

11. ProctorHillFarm

also- if she is picky- you are probably better off getting the shredded- mixed in with the grain she might be alright. The pellets are HUGE and really really hard, I can a picky goat picking one up and trying to chew and spit it back out. :slapfloor:

12. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Yeah, I agree that beet pulp should help tremendously...I've always used shredded...usually dry, but when it's cold outside I sometimes soak it in hot water for about 30 mins and feed it warm. The goats love it.

If that doesn't put enough weight on her you could try adding 1-3 teaspoons of veggie or olive oil to her feed. Fat is a very dense source of energy and calories--it has 2.5 times the energy that carbs or protein does. It is slightly more difficult for the body to utilize, however, sometimes lactating does (especially if she's feeding quads) just can't eat enough carbs and protein to stay in good condition.

You might also want to try a vitamin A supplement...lack of vitamin A can make goats more susceptible to colds and coughs.

13. Another thing I have seen work wonders in my herd is Fast Track. I really see the difference and there are quite a few big reputable breeders that I know that feel the same too. However, there are those that disagree. I will say this though, it is all natural.

14. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
    How about just add some sweet cob/4 way. Also sheep grain has more carbs then goat feed. So mixing some in with her other feed should help. Shelly

15. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Stacey, I know that Blue Seal carries the smaller beet pulp pellets.....was just at TSC today and saw that a 50# sack was 14.00, I was also looking at all the equine products they have for supplementing horses with certain conditions.....would any of the horse products be useful?

16. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    if she doesn't like that you could try oatmeal, dry.

we use it for rabbits that need to gain weight and condition, it works really well

17. yonderhill

yonderhill New Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Upstate NY
    I don't soak the shreds... I use about 2 cups per 3 milking does.. and take it from there, their weight is fine right now, but I'll add more if they lose condition. We get a 40# bag for about 15.00$ and it lasts a long time.

Jennah

18. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I am a distributer of fastrack - she gets that once a day as she always has. She is picky about eating it though. Like I said VERY picky eater. When pregnant she doesnt always eat all her grain and I only give her less then 2 cups! So she is more of a hay eater LOVES her hay. Right now she is sharing 4 cups of grain with her quads (who are 5 weeks but look like 3 week olds - not real big).

19. hmmm.. :scratch:

Does she like alfalfa? And what about sweet feed? Of course with the heat you don't want to heat her up too much internally either.

Here are two other mixes that are a bit more starchier that is why I worked to get the other down. These are missing the BOSS in the mix so you would need to factor that in for sure.

This is for 500lbs.

Barley 50 lbs
    Oats 75 lbs
    BOSS 75 lbs
    Whole Corn 43 lbs (my girls seem to like whole corn better)
    Protein Pellet 250lbs (20%protein to help bring the protein up)
    Wet Molasses 7 lbs

Total Crude Protein (according to my calculations) 16.38%

This one is more then just a feed it does have the foughage but I would add something like bran or something that does the same as well.

1000 lbs alfpha pellets
    3570 lbs corn
    2280 soybean hulls (roughage, they really like them! lol)
    920 corn meal I think (it's ddg corn? on the slip)
    230 bs liquid molasses
    4 tons/$960/$6.02

Now I have not used these mixes but do know they wrok for a few breeders. Another thing I would always include if the boys are eating it is the Ammonium chloride. Hope that helps?

20. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    she is on pure alfafa hay for the past 2 years straight. She has been on a textured sweet feed her whole life