My goat Poppy and milking advise

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Boers4ever, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Boers4ever

Boers4ever Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    Hello! I have a doe (Poppy) that is a little over 2. She was a bottle baby that was given to me by a friend. She has never been bred before until this month. She was accidentally bred to my Boer buck. She is about 90# and the buck is about 140#. He is a little small for a boer buck. I’m hoping that there will be no problems. When she kids in November I will be milking her. I assume that she is part Nigerian Dwarf but I’m not sure. She will be my first milking goat so I’m trying to learn as much as possible about milking. Any information is soooo helpful!
    Also, what breeds do y’all think she has in her?

IMG_4148.jpg

MadHouse likes this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Hard to tell in the picture, does she have airplane ears? If so, then Nubian is in there. Pretty girl, good luck!

MadHouse likes this.

3. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    You will have to watch her carefully during kidding, she is small - so be there in case kids are too large for her. Get her used to the milk stand now, feed her there and only there with some grain, get her used to you touching her udder. Mine virtually run to the stand - then I let them out to graze.

MadHouse likes this.
  4. Boers4ever

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    IMG_3820.jpg

Here’s a better picture of her face and ears. She does have airplane ears. I am praying that she won’t have any problems kidding. I’ve heard some pretty horrible stories of people who breed smaller does to a big buck. I’m especially worried since this is her first kidding. When November comes I’m really gonna be on guard with her.
    I don’t have a milking stand yet but I’m looking for one. I am really looking forward to using goat milk in some recipes! I will be leaving the kids with her, do I separate them at night and milk her in the morning once daily?

twilightGG and MadHouse like this.
  5. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

She is very cute! Beautiful colouring!
    Definitely Nigerian Dwarf and maybe Nubian with those ears.
    How tall is she at the withers?

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  6. Boers4ever

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    Thank you! She is 24” at the withers.

MadHouse likes this.
  7. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

Nigerian Dwarfs are smaller than that, so she has a larger breed in her too.

8. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    To be safe, I would have a vet give Lutelyse to abort the pregnancy and breed her to a more appropriate sized buck at a later date. You may lose her if the kids are too big. I know this may not be a popular decision, but that is what I would do.

If that is not an option in your mind, have a good goat vet on standby. Sometimes, there are no problems, other times a vet is very necessary. Good luck.

MadHouse likes this.
  9. Boers4ever

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    Thank you for your advise. I’d prefer to let her have the kids. I have a goat loving vet about 10 minutes from my farm. I know it’s a risk but she is already about a month along and would hate to abort the kids now. The buck has thrown some very small kids in the past so I’m praying that he will again.

MadHouse likes this.
  10. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

I keep reading the tittle as " my gut puppy....." its been a long day

twilightGG, Boers4ever and MadHouse like this.
  11. Boers4ever

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    LOL!! Don’t worry, I’ve had those days too!!

MadHouse likes this.
  12. I leave moms to raise their kids as I feel like the babies are healthy and strong and since we have a lot of area to walk our girls they get a lot of browse and that is good for the little ones also. I put the babies away from mom at about 4 - 5 weeks at night and milk mom in the morning. Lots of screaming from them at first but they adjust pretty quick. If mom has triplets or more I usually don't separate them and take milk. Play by ear mostly. Ours of nigerians and are pretty good little milkers for their size. We get all our cheese, yogurt, drinking milk and milk soap from our herd. My biggest problem is getting rid of babies. I am picky about where they are going and often turn away someone that I feel won't take good care of them. So - I have too many. We have 20 does and two bucks.
    My husband likes to keep a couple of wethers to raise for meat - it's very good. He really has to kind of get himself into the right frame of mind to do one. We love them all.
    Hope your girl does okay with her birthing - lucky you have a vet so close. I have a wonderful vet but he is a good half hour away and has saved a couple of our does over the years.

MadHouse likes this.
  13. Boers4ever

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    IMG_4336.jpg IMG_4339.jpg IMG_4347.jpg

This is Poppy! About 7 weeks now. What do y’all think? She is breathing really heavy this week.

Attached Files:

twilightGG and MadHouse like this.
  14. Boers4ever

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    She did just get introduced to greener pastures last week so she got a little wider.

MadHouse likes this.
  15. twilightGG

twilightGG New Member

Oct 4, 2020
    Overton,NV
    I would not abort any baby I would rather take the chance and pray about it, my ND was fine and the buck was twice her size.

Kass likes this.
  16. twilightGG

twilightGG New Member

Oct 4, 2020
    Overton,NV
    I think that she definitely has ND in her. My goat is kind of the same , I'm not sure if she has fainting goat in her or not. She has fainted but she is the size, shape, coloring, and attitude as a Nigerian. I'm going to try and milk my goat tomorrow morning, we'll see how it goes, she doesn't like anyone touching her udders. i don't have a milking stand and I'm just going to wing it. LOL!

17. Boers4ever

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    Hi! Yes I totally agree to not abort any baby. That’s why I prayed about it and decided to try. I’m still not sure if she’s actually bred because she doesn’t have an udder. I put her in with the buck again this week so we’ll see what happens.
    Also look for the thread titled “heat? Or bred?” It has much more info on her. Thanks!

AlabamaGirl likes this.
  18. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

I believe only fainters carry the fainting gene. Fainters can be all sorts of colors too. ;)

toth boer goats and MadHouse like this.