My goat rant

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by capracreek, Aug 24, 2017.

1. capracreek

capracreek Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2016
    Missouri
    Ok folks I am going to rant about people who post on FB, Craigslist etc about goats for sale. You respond to ad... CHIRP CHIRP CHIRP then a month later you get response - in the mean time you have found another goat or whatever you were looking for but you are still interested in their response although you might not still be looking.

If you post on a goats for sale page PLEASE respond - if you no longer have the animal then respond and say it is sold AND remove your ad. I find people so irresponsible I can understand why they are having to sell. You have to communicate with people it is part of the business. If you place an ad then people deserve a response.

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

A big part of it is that many responses go to the junk folder. So if you post using your email, make sure you check your junk folder daily.

Oreosmom, catharina and capracreek like this.

3. Lstein

Lstein Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2014
    North Dakota
    I agree. A big problem I've noticed with a local classified is that there's an option to send a message through the site, which is hardly ever gets answered....even though it sends them an email.

I find it humorous on that particular site, the people that say NO EMAILZ NO MESSAGES!! But then don't list a phone number either. :rolleyes:

Oreosmom, Goat_Scout and capracreek like this.
  4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It is frustrating for sure.

Oreosmom and capracreek like this.
  5. capracreek

Apr 5, 2016
    Missouri
    My rant was particularly on FB through a PM so pretty sure it she got it. Now she wants to offer me 3 goats at a really good price and it has been 3 days and she hasn't responded back to my reply AGAIN so frustrating.

Oreosmom likes this.
  6. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

I hear ya.

When someone does not reply in a timely manner, I just never respond when they do reply. I shrug my shoulders and say to myself that I don't want to keep people like that in business so they don't get my money.

The exception is when they do respond with an acknowledgement of the issue. Like, "I'm so sorry you've been waiting. I had a house fire and just have let my juggling balls drop. I still have him/her/them, and if you still are interested, I can give you this price..." or something like that. I'll respond to that sort of thing very politely.

Otherwise, I just assume they are as responsible with goat care as they have shown themselves to be with other business matters (like advertising correspondence). And I walk away.

The walking part has become easier as my space for goats has filled. It has finally been drummed into me that there will always be another goat for sale that I like as well as this one...

When I advertise, I am so frenetic about checking messages, I'll send an "I'm sorry you've been waiting...." reply if I've been out of the house that day and just come in!

What burns my derriere, is people who insist I have the ability to send and receive texts, and will get pissy with me when I don't respond. Hello? I flat out said I only have a landline! I told you email is best and phone calls are iffy, and NO TEXTS!

Yeah, we exist, those of us who do not live in a cell service area! Mythical as unicorns, right?

7. ShireRidgeFarm

ShireRidgeFarm Active Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Northern WV
    I've found the craigslist email server completely unreliable for delivering messages, and if someone I don't know PM's me on Facebook it doesn't always tell me.

Other than that, though, I have to agree - I usually am checking my messages obsessively when I have adds posted! :p

8. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

When you say Craigslist is unreliable, are you saying it does not deliver at all? or that it delivers, but eventually?.

No one has ever mentioned difficulty reaching me on CL, but how would we know?

I don't go on facebook for anything, anymore. I hate it. So I have nothing to say to that one.

capracreek likes this.
  9. ShireRidgeFarm

ShireRidgeFarm Active Member

Sep 24, 2015
    Northern WV
    I have had several occasions where I have sent multiple messages to a craigslist email - even ones saying please just let me know if you got this - to no response. I have also been communicating consistently with someone, and then they suddenly stop responding. I have talked to people who have sent messages, never got replies and moved on, and then the original add responded saying, "Sorry, I just got all your messages!"

I made an email account just for my farm and I list that on the craigslist add.

Sent from my VS501 using Goat Forum mobile app

Oreosmom, mariarose and capracreek like this.
  10. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    I've had a major problem with Craigslist responses going to my spam folder, and occasionally I wonder if some messages are ever delivered at all. I've gotten better about checking the junk mail, especially when I have active listings, but I have taken to adding a message to my ads that says, "If you don't get a response to your email within two days, please call..." and I list my phone number.

Like Mariarose, I'm one of those "unicorns" who is not on Facebook and doesn't own a cell phone. I tell people repeatedly "NO TEXT!" but they insist on doing so anyway. Then naturally it's all my fault for not responding. There's one nice lady I sold goats to last summer and supposedly she's texted me a lot of photos and messages over the last year. Every time I talk to her on the phone she asks why I never respond to her texts. I don't think she'll ever get it.

11. darth

darth Active Member

I am a bit like Mariarose. I'm out in the middle of nowhere with very little to no internet connection, no landline and a phone that is just slightly better than two tin cans joined with piece of string! My phone doesn't send or get pictures. It's prepaid so could run out at any given moment and my teenage daughter is more reliable! There are a few of us who can't do the things those new fangled gadgets can do. I personally believe if something is worth saying it's worth a buggy ride to the telegraph office. The thing that annoys me most is when people do come to see what your selling the first thing they ask is "can I use your toilet"? I usually say, yeah, help yourself. We live off the grid, pick a bush and knock yourself out!

12. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    I totally agree. This isn't quite the same as what you've mentioned, but along the same lines. I once didn't band a buckling for someone because they showed definite interest in getting him as a buck. Then they didn't reply to once of my messages. By the time I figured they'd change their mind he'd gotten too big to band. :( I had 7 unplanned kids that year as a result.

13. New-goat-mom

New-goat-mom Well-Known Member

May 21, 2017
    Texas
    What is it with the toilet thing? I thought I was the only one having that happen. Even the guy that came out to install my satellite asked to use the restroom. We are about 99% sure he didn't wash his hands, either. It seems so strange me!

capracreek likes this.
  14. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I get the frustration but as said sometimes things happen. The reply went to junk mail, or a different PM on FB I felt so terrible when I realized that and one gal messaged me like 2 years before I figured it out. I'm sure I'm poop on the bottom of her shoe. But I do understand that especially if it's oh I like their animal more but I will settle for this one and you wait for a reply and miss out on your second choice. But I'm big on replying no matter what. Even the jerk that called me at 10:30 last night. Now I may have gotten a little pleasure in being able to say sorry someone else is coming to look at him but I still replied lol. The only time I don't reply back is when I am the buyer and the seller is pushy. Recently I messaged someone about a goat and when she told me the price I was shocked. I didn't say lady your on crack no way I simply said I can't afford that. She offered to lower the price $100 that was nice but still no way lol but she kept pushing and pushing sending me pictures and telling me when a hauler was coming her way and blah blah finally I just stopped replying. It was either that or tell her I can send monopoly if she would like. As for the bathroom no way! I tell them go behind a trailer or tree. 1. I keep my kids in the house I don't know these people. 2. My house is a wreck 99% of the time and 3. To keep them from being are by a boxer she is in the house. I don't care if that is rude that is my personal area and no one is coming in unless your someone I trust.

Oreosmom, Goat_Scout and capracreek like this.
  15. capracreek

Apr 5, 2016
    Missouri
    I have not had a problem with messages going to junk mail but I will definitely start checking that also. I just don't get people placing an ad and then not responding worse yet is contacting me and then not getting back when I respond almost immediately as I get notifications on my phone.

Can't imagine not have a cell phone!!! I thought I was slow to grasp technology - I just started texting a couple years ago and taking pictures with my phone. Now I don't know how I lived without it. I use to tell everyone I have a phone so I CAN TALK TO YOU. If you don't want to talk send me an e mail. It does amaze me how quickly I got hooked.

Oreosmom likes this.
  16. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    HAHA! This is exactly why I don't have one! That, and the fact that I'd probably lose them constantly. I'd need a cell-phone-of-the-month subscription. My phone is attached to the wall so I can't lose it. I try to avoid my husband's cordless as much as possible because if it goes with me, you never know where it might end up.

17. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    Ayuh. We're a family of 4 (2 are TEENS) and we have one cheap Tracfone "smart" phone so WE can reach each other. We all share it. It's that and a wired house phone. There is no reliable cell service on our property. (Makes guests cuh-razy!) I can get texts, but the cell phone is only clicked on once or twice a week. So we always tell people "if ya need to get a hold of us quickly CALL US ON THE 'real' PHONE!"

More to the point, our house phone number is an odd one. So even though I explicitly state "NO TEXTS" on my CL ads, people still try to. Which means I never hear from them...

18. New-goat-mom

New-goat-mom Well-Known Member

May 21, 2017
    Texas
    You can't even get a landline phone where I live. I tried when I started working from home because the company I work for prefers it almost to the point of requiring it... But it's simply not an option.

19. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    More frustrating are the people who can't read. Location clearly stated. Price clearly stated, sales terms clearly stated. Health testing and management clearly stated. AND THEY CAN"T READ. Plus kids who are wasting my time. UGH.

20. Shaylatheyoungest17

Shaylatheyoungest17 Member

Jul 1, 2017
    Creighton, e
    I know the pain! I'm deaf myself, I always post with saying "please text only or email only" on the end of my ads, but some people still call my number, I have no choice to not to respond.. but some people are old fashioned, they don't know how to text, but I wished they can emailed me. I rarely get emails, only few, people today like to use their phone to text or call. I wish people read my ads carefully..