My goat seems not like himself

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Sheriqwe, Jun 7, 2015.

1. Sheriqwe

Sheriqwe New Member

Jun 7, 2015
    I adopted a male Nubian goat a few weeks ago... He has been busy bleeting ,escaping from the pen, and chasing chickens until today... He is just lying down and doesn't want to walk... I gave him oil with baking soda (for possible bloating) and he belched and walked around a bit... But he's still wanting to lay down and is quite... Is there anything else I should do for him? FYI... I have never taken care of a goat before

2. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Get his temp...101.5-103.5 is normal range, I use a digital for fast and easy readings...check his lower inner eye lids for color..you want to see deep pink to red...
    is he pooping berries...pees a nice sting stream?...eating and getting plenty of fluids?

3. Sheriqwe

Sheriqwe New Member

Jun 7, 2015
    His temp is 102.4 and it's too dark to see his inner eyelids... I'll get a flashlight and go check... I've been gone all day so not sure of the poop... But he peed a steady stream when I made him walk around after I gave him the oil ... He didn't want to eat tonight but is drinking water

4. Sheriqwe

Sheriqwe New Member

Jun 7, 2015
    Eyelids are pink

5. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Temp is good ...hows his rumen function...do you hear any grumbling, girgling..gas or burps..is he chewing a cud? how about any runny nose or eyes?

6. Sheriqwe

Sheriqwe New Member

Jun 7, 2015
    No rumbling ... He did grind his teeth ... He burped after I gave him oil and baking soda and he did have a runny eye (just one) earlier.

7. Sheriqwe

Sheriqwe New Member

Jun 7, 2015
    When we just checked in him he was easier to get up... And went in he hen house with his baby chickens (he and 6 chicks are buddies) but he's still not his normal "happy" self

8. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    does he have access to chicken feed? sounds like his rumen is off...grinding of teeth is gut pain...I would give a B complex shot along with CD antitoxin or Milk of magnesia to rid his body of toxins..

9. Sheriqwe

Sheriqwe New Member

Jun 7, 2015
    Only feeding the chickens barley and corn... The lady at the feed store said it would be fine for the goat too... I limit the access he has to food because people told me goats will over eat ... What is cd antitoxin?

10. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    corn is only OK in small amounts..if he nibbled a bit much it can cause rumen upset or acidosis...cd antitoxin is a shot to rid the body of toxins..its getting harder and harder to find...Go ahead and dose him Milk of magnesia...this can cause loose stools but let it run its course as it rids the body of toxins..its 15 per 60# every 8-12 hours..just until he is doing better....in mild cases it may only need one to 2 doses...some need it longer...keep him hydrated while using MOM ...once he is up and going well..give probiotics daily for a few days to restore flora in his gut....

might try to build a feeder box for your chickens...a box with a door only they can fit through where they will find their food...this should help keep the buck out of their goodies..and feeling his best...

do you know how old he is? is he wethered or intaked? ( fixed or not)...

11. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
  12. Sheriqwe

Sheriqwe New Member

Jun 7, 2015
    He is fixed ... And dehorned... Not sure how old he is ... I don't think he's more than 3-4 yrs old... I think he was a 4-h with his brother... But his brother died ... Mountain lion attack .. So I took him so he'd be safer .., I can feed him Separate from the chickens... I have a door only they can get through to eat and lay there eggs in the hen house ... And he hasn't figured out how to get through that .... Yet! Is that 15 cc per 60lbs? I don't think he's more than 40 lbs ... He seemed under weight when we got him

13. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    AWe..poor guy...sorry about his brother..

40# at 3-4 years old is way low...he should be more like 160 # or more...if you measure his girth we can figure a very close estimate of his weight....

14. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    here is a weight chart ..once you measure his girth you will have a better idea of how much he weighs...they sure can full us...

15. Sheriqwe

Sheriqwe New Member

Jun 7, 2015
    That would be great... I can measure in in the morning ... I just checked in him ... He's sleeping with his chickens ... I don't know anything about goats..., I've always loved these guys... He was out in a ranch and hung out with the dogs ... He actually acts like a dog and likes dog food if he can get to it... I'll ask the people I got him from how old he is... They asked if I would take him and I jumped at the chance to get him ... Without knowing his history

16. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    you have a good heart to take him in..hopefully you can find him a goat buddy soon...he will be so happy!!! they need the companionship of another goat......I would go ahead and dose him 30 cc of MOM tonight if you have it...the faster he has it the better...then tomorrow you can get his weight and if he needs another dose you will know to go +/- on that...

17. Sheriqwe

Sheriqwe New Member

Jun 7, 2015
    Now he's only about a year old

18. Sheriqwe

Sheriqwe New Member

Jun 7, 2015
    I don't have any mom ... I'll go get some first thing tomorrow ... Thank you so much

19. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

Do you have baking soda? A tablespoon mixed with enough water to drench could help, also 4 ounces of dark beer.

The statement about the CD antitoxin is very misleading. It will ONLY help a goat suffering from Clostridium disease. It DOES NOT get rid of toxins any from other sources. It is a preventative only in those cases.

20. Sheriqwe

Sheriqwe New Member

Jun 7, 2015
    He's not bloated
    Today... But still not making his bleets... And still kinda weird.... Could he still have a tummy ache?