My goat setup

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by goatstafson, Jul 14, 2008.

1. goatstafson

goatstafson New Member

Nov 19, 2007
    I raise goats in a very small area. (1/4 acre) Since I don't have much room for running, I have decided to build up to give my goats plenty of play space. So here are some pictures.

[​IMG] My children love playing on the spools as much as the goats!

[​IMG] Note the goat with it's head through the openings in the bottom spool. We feed grass pellets in there. Safe from the rain and snow, also safe from goat droppings!

[​IMG] Door open so you can see the goat eating inside

[​IMG] Another area I have set up. The goats love sleeping in the elevated dog house and they slide down the slide over and over again. It is hysterical!
  2. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    That looks like "kid" paradise! :thumbup:

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thats a good idea! I have that very same "slide" in my buck pen, the little guy goes in it to get away when the big guy gets too rough.......just be careful that your goats don't grow wings and use the dog house as a "launch pad" to go over the fence! lol
  4. goatstafson

goatstafson New Member

Nov 19, 2007
    So far no one has been inclined to go over the fence, which I am truly grateful for. The definately could, but they just haven't. (I have had this setup for a year, so plenty of time) The funny thing is that I have a dog pen right next to the goat pen. On occasion I have closed a goat in there to wean a baby. Within minutes the does will use that dog house and vault right over the top! So I suspose they just aren't motivated to leave our "yard."
  5. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    What a wonderful kid playground (2 & 4 legged!).

I love your idea of putting the feed inside the spools. That's exactly what I need to fix an issue I'm having right now. Thanks!
  6. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    That is an adorable playground for your goats (and two-legged kids too!) You really have that set-up nicely. We use cable spools too for play structures. We had a neighbor who tore out their porch and the steps we picked up for the goats to play on, they think it's pretty fun. You have a cute place and cute goats!
  7. goatstafson

goatstafson New Member

Nov 19, 2007
    Don't you just love it when you get free play things for goats! My electic company give cable spools away free because they have to pay to take them to the dump. My only caution is to screw a board over the hole in the middle of the spool. It looks like a recipe for broken legs to me!