The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I went out just now and Camas has torn the corner of her mouth open like the joker, on what I do not know. I rinsed it with a saline wound spray and patted it with iodine solution. What can I do? There is no way to bandage it. Are stitches even doable in that location? I am worried it will get infected when she eats hay/grain/etc.

Help? I'll post pictures in a second. It is taking forever for them to load on photobucket.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I don't know about goats, but we had a dog that had to have that part of his lip stitched closed when his lip had a disagreement with the wrap around bumper on a classic car. He caught it on the bumper of a passing car when trying to run across the road to chase another dog.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is hard to tell, but the corner of her mouth should meet right where the last little pink feeler things inside her mouth end. Should I give tetanus antitoxin? Is there anyway to keep it clean? Should I give antibiotics?

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I gave her 2cc tetanus anti-toxin. The vet doesn't open until 10 am tomorrow, but I will call them then. Poor girl.

·
Registered
30,588 Posts
OUCH poor baby! keep it clean and dry, I think I would put Neosprdin on it, call the vet in the am... tetnanus was good thinking...the bigger concern here i think is if she goes off feed...I would begin Penicillian 1 cc per 20# and Banamine for pain and swelling..keep the discomfort down..And B complex for stress...

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone. I will try to keep it clean and dry, but it is challenging. Stuff gets into it when she eats, especially hay. I am rinsing it regularly with the saline wound spray. I gave her the penicillin, banamine, and Vitamin B Complex last night. Should I give the penicillin 2 times a day or 1? I left a message with the vet this morning, I just don't know what else they could really do. It doesn't see like an area that could be stitched well. She is eating, so theres that at least.

*Vet just called, I'm bringing her in to see if they can stitch it.

·
Registered
30,588 Posts
I do pen 2 times a day....good luck at the vet!!

·
2,203 Posts
I would've sewn it while it was still numb and in shock myself but good call on the vet.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think it was beyond that point by the time I got home. The tear is pretty ragged and I am not sure they will be able to sew it when all is said and done. : /

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I took her in and the vet thought she was not a good candidate for stitches. He said they could do it, but the would was already starting to granulate and it would almost certainly reopen if stitched. He thought it would heal on its own and said that saliva naturally cleans a mouth wound of this type. He told me to continue a while with the Pen G and let it heal. She is eating well, so hopefully this resolves soon. Any and all advice appreciated.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I would have it stitched.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I am at a loss then I guess. They were adamant that they did not want to stitch it. It doesn't look as bad today, but I showed them the pics I posted here from when it was fresh. My only other option is to call my local equine vet and see if they would do it. How long after a wound occurs can it be stitched? The vet I saw said 24 hours. :( I want to do the right thing, but my vet seemed very certain that leaving it alone would be ok.

·
Super Moderator
58,875 Posts
I would just go with your vet if you feel comfortable with his knowledge. We aren't physically looking at the wound and he did.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you. I don't trust him especially with goat specific things, but he does deal with horses, cattle, and sheep a good deal, so I do feel I can trust his opinion on something like this that is a general injury. I am definitely going to keep her on Pen G and monitor her closely for signs of infection.

·
Registered
30,588 Posts
I agree...as long as she is eating well and the tear is staying clean , dry and free of infection...Pen 2 x a day for 5-7 days should do...

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Camas has been doing pretty well. She has not had any fever and is eating ok.

I am on day 5 of penicillin and ran out of my Pro Pen G. The horse vet sold me some PenOne Pro, which looks like it is the same thing. Is that correct? I want to make sure before I give it to her.

PenOne Pro link
Pro Pen G link

1 - 20 of 23 Posts